Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Has anyone had to change their stock Yuasa battery on their rebel yet? I am wondering what the average life span on the battery will be. This is assuming the battery is properly maintained, ie avoiding short trips to allow the battery to charge properly and using a trickle charger when necessary. I will be taking my Rebel to an interstate battery next week to check it but I am wondering if it would be possible to get more than 3-4 years out of it.

Best,

Mash

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Mash,

I have had a Yuasa Battery last as long as 13 years.
I would say that I average about 5+ years with the Yuasa Maintenance Free Batteries.
I do religiously use a Battery Tender Jr. when ever I put the motorcycle away for the night.
I do have a garage and it never gets much below freezing in the winter here in North Texas.

Kenny G

·
Registered
209 Posts
Like Kenny G, I usually get about 5 years on a battery, sometimes more years.
I also plug in a batter tender jr every night, even if I'm riding the same bike the next day, it's now a habit and I don't even think about it, I just do it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the battery tender lead coming out under the gas tank in front of the left side cover, easy to get to and also a good location for heated jacket to be plugged in for cold weather and winter

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have the battery tender lead coming out under the gas tank in front of the left side cover, easy to get to and also a good location for heated jacket to be plugged in for cold weather and winter
Me too (except not the jacket).
I have one of my two bikes on charger at all times, just swapping it over about weekly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Me too (except not the jacket).
I have one of my two bikes on charger at all times, just swapping it over about weekly.
I have four bikes all with a separate battery tender jr.

I do it this way because in the past I would forget to put a tender on a different bike each week and had batteries go bad prematurely. Battery tender jr's are cheaper than new batteries.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I haven’t had any issues and mines only about 2 years old. Never had to use a battery tender either as I always ride somewhere everyday most it sits is maybe a couple days if the weather is bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! Looks like Honda did a good job choosing Yuasa for their battery 🙂

·
Registered
11 Posts
I should add that I did NOT trickle charge it over the bike's first winter. Then later in the following summer, left the lights on and ran the battery down. After that the battery would NOT hold a charge at all and needed replacing. So don't get cocky like me and forget the maintenance steps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts