Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i love my 300, but the speedometer is useless. Might as well mount a black disc on the handlebars for looks. At night it's ok, (just ok) but in sunlight, useless. I do have the brightness at it's highest
Are there any aftermarket speedometers out there? I would much prefer a dial over the stupid digital if possible.

If there are no aftermarket alternatives out there, does anyone know if removing this one will cause any ill effect to the electronics of the bike? I mostly ride on sunny days and see no reason to have it if i can't read anything on it anyway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Keep in mind- when changing out Stuff like that.....

Keep in mind when you replace a speedometer head or what ever, you will have to keep records and have that handy upon re-sale of the vehicle with the title.

Just FYI! :smile2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you know you can turn the brightness up on the speedo?
Yes, i have it turned up to the highest setting.
I have to shade it with my hand to read it on a slightly overcast day. With low back lighting, almost no contrast between the background and the readout and the fact that it is placed almost almost flat with little angle and no visor, it's pretty useless.
I thought about fabricating an angle mount and a visor but then i would still have the dumb digital display. Replacing it with an analog style display or removing it all together is more appealing to me.

When you sell a vehicle here you can simply note on the title that the odometer is incorrect or broken, and that any miles shown are not actual, not worried about that.

·
Registered
789 Posts
that's kinda cool that they seem to have both gauges hooked up at the same time, although I would've figured a better placement-perhaps side by side.
.. i wonder if there's any way to tell whether the tachometer is accurate though ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, i have it turned up to the highest setting.
I have to shade it with my hand to read it on a slightly overcast day. With low back lighting, almost no contrast between the background and the readout and the fact that it is placed almost almost flat with little angle and no visor, it's pretty useless.
I thought about fabricating an angle mount and a visor but then i would still have the dumb digital display.
Now I'm really curious if you've got a lemon or somebody messed with your gauge. All the gauges on the new rebels should be sitting at an angle OEM, almost exactly 45°. Have you ever brought the bike to a shop or did any repairs that can involve the gauge?

Similar to what @richard-phx already said, I live in SoCal, and on the the clearest Summer day at noon I could still see the readouts clearly at 3/4 brightness. Full brightness is blinding at night for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No changes regarding the gauge. On the highest setting, darkest night, it is adequate and no more than that.
I have to assume it's a bad gauge at this point (it also has the scratches on the inside of the lens). To me it's not worth trying to do a warranty. I would have to let the dealership do the work, and I would rather pay for a new gauge than take my chances with that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts