Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11,500km oil change, filter, air filter and spark plugs. Yes all are early but I had the time today. Pictured is the tools I use to do plugs without removing the electrics and plug and air filter condition.

I use 2 knuckle joints on the ratchet, it let's you slide the socket in and out easily. Once the plugs are loose, shove a chunk of 3/8" fuel hose down on top of the plug and use it to turn them out and retrieve them. Use the hose to hand tighten new plug as well before final tighten. I suggest getting the PCV hose out of the way before doing the left plug. Good luck

Yes I'm pretty sure there is dog hair in my air filter! Haha

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those plugs don't look bad at all...can't say the same for that filter though.

How much of a performance boost did you notice after the tune-up?
Plugs were great, I change them cause they are cheap and it's nice to see how the bike is running. The first 1000 after plugs and air filter is always awesome, though likely placebo haha

·
Registered
748 Posts
CR - is your spark plug socket not magnetic? or is there not enough room to pull out the socket with the plug attached?
never really paid attention to the clearance yet since i haven't thought of doing those until the schedule comes up

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CR - is your spark plug socket not magnetic? or is there not enough room to pull out the socket with the plug attached?
never really paid attention to the clearance yet since i haven't thought of doing those until the schedule comes up
Socket isn't magnetic, it's the rubber holder style, but the plug definitely won't come up with the socket. Too much angle not enough room. But even with the extra step I save a huge amount of time by leaving the electrics and gas tank in place

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is great news that people have been able to do this without removing the electronics under the tank! When I replaced the front brake line I had to remove the tank and all the electronics to reach the manifold. It was a horrible experience and I thought I was going to have to do it again when it was time to change the plugs. Thanks to this post, now I know it's going to be easier than I thought. Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just tried this, managed to get the right hand side done without too many problems, but clearance on the left hand side is very low. I could only just get the lead out, and now I have a socket stuck down in there :( Looks like I'll be off to buy an 8mm allen socket tomorrow to remove the tank and do it that way :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
Fine that you replaced plugs, I've got no problem with it.
I'm just not getting it at such low miles.
AND yea I get it its cheap, so what.
Plugs now last for ever.
They almost will last the life of the engine now.
My car states in the manual that they will go 100,000, and when I went to change them at 95,000 they were in great shape.

ALSO you will get no "boost" in performance from doing this - only in your mind.

But go ahead a change them, I just dont get it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK after re-reading the original post, removed one side of the PCV and tucked it away, everything else was simpler.

Note that I used a 75mm spark plug socket (regular wall size) and a single knuckle, plus a piece of garden hose to pull the plug out. If your socket is any longer it most likely will not fit.
@jdock The factory plugs list as 25,600km (16,000 mi), I dropped in Iridiums (CPR8EAIX-9) which do have a ~100,000km life so I don't have to go through this ordeal any time soon!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Holy cow! Was my spark plug job on my 500 a work of art! I would compare it to untangling a birds nest on a open face reel on a fishing pole! Getting to the plug to turn it and take it out with a magnet was no a huge problem for me. But taking out the spark plug wire was a huge pain in the A 5 5 ! I had to take the tank off most of the way and balance it out of the way cause I did t want to disconnect the fuel line with a full tank. The. I had to take all the electronics completely apart and even pull the the key ingnition mount out too just to reach the plastic base plate mounting screws and quick snap in buttons on the back edges. Then I had to hold that plastic base plate up seemed like I was bending the plastic up just to get enough clearance to remove both spark plug wires out of there spark plug pits. And even then I had no direct access to the plugs from that angle. I got them all with a ratchet, 3 inch extension and plug socket. And luckily I had a strait magnet to help fish out anything loose. But I hear the plug wires on a 300 are much easier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts