Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new rebel 300 and I just hit the 500 miles mark. It seems like some sort of oil leaks from my bike. It doesn't drip on the ground but it leaks only when I ride it and it sprays onto my bike and my pants. Refer to my photos. Does anyone have any idea what it would be? I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,163 Posts
I have a new rebel 300 and I just hit the 500 miles mark. It seems like some sort of oil leaks from my bike. It doesn't drip on the ground but it leaks only when I ride it and it sprays onto my bike and my pants. Refer to my photos. Does anyone have any idea what it would be? I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks.
You're probably going to need to refill that fork too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your comments. Yes it is the parking permit.. smh.. now that I removed the permit and test ride it, this is what happened. Didn't leak as much as when I had the sticker on. Is this normal? Or do I have to replace the fork seal and oil?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,163 Posts
Thanks for all your comments. Yes it is the parking permit.. smh.. now that I removed the permit and test ride it, this is what happened. Didn't leak as much as when I had the sticker on. Is this normal? Or do I have to replace the fork seal and oil?
there could be a pool of oil above the seal - wipe it down and keep an eye on it - it should diminish with time - if it doesn't you'll need to replace the seal

regardless, your fork is low on oil and should be topped up

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't know how aggressive fork oil is, but if it's anything like brake fluid or hydrailic oil you need to get it off the surfaces ASAP.

Methylated spirits wiped on the spots followed by warm soapy water should get it off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't know how aggressive fork oil is, but if it's anything like brake fluid or hydrailic oil you need to get it off the surfaces ASAP.

Methylated spirits wiped on the spots followed by warm soapy water should get it off.
Fork oil is non-aggressive and very stable. I mean...if you get it on your hands, you should wash them, because you'll be dirty, but otherwise you'll be fine and so should the bike.

Yeah, get it cleaned off as best you can, however you'll want to get into the shop ASAP. You've lost fork oil, which will effect your suspension and your bike's handling. It's not major. New fork seal and oil top off. 1-2 hours worth of work...should be fine.

The real danger is the oil getting on your brake rotors, calipers, and tire. Ride easier than usual, until you can get it looked at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts