Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm in the desperate need of your help again..
Does anybody know what is leaking from my bike?
Sorry about the image I don't know how to rotate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Whats it smell like? To help eliminate possibilities. All fluids have there own scent and color for the most part. Any accumulated dropplets coming from any of your drain tubes? but by the pic looks like oil to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think you are right AB82. The oil level inspection window shows that it's out of engine oil. But how is this possible..
I got the oil change done at 600 miles and I just hit 1000 miles mark yesterday. No wonder why the dealership had such bad reviews on yelp. But what could be the cause of leakage?

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think you are right AB82. The oil level inspection window shows that it's out of engine oil. But how is this possible..
I got the oil change done at 600 miles and I just hit 1000 miles mark yesterday. No wonder why the dealership had such bad reviews on yelp. But what could be the cause of leakage?
Did you check all levels with the bike in an upright/vertical position?

What colour is the fluid? Wipe a sample on a sheet of white paper.

Which drain hose is it coming from? Check for drips from each hose with a crap of paper or cloth.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
If the dealership is a bit shady, they might have screwed up when changing the oil. Take some paper and wipe around the drain bolt, see if it's coming from there. They might have reused the sealant ring on the drain bolt, or even not bothered putting anything back on there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Honda uses drain plug washers....(part# 94109-12000) like lyoko said maybe it got reused which people do and can be fine but maybe it got bent or over tightened or not tightened enough at the drain plug...
But what is that stuff that looks like coffee grinds ? did that come from the bike?

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Another leak to look out for is the radiator hose of which I’ve seen several complaints in the past.
This was an issue before any first services.

Keep an eye on any dried white residue on the rubber pipe.

Note’ the pic is only to point out the area of issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeap, this is partially why I bought two torque wrenches, one 3/8 inch drive for smaller torque jobs and a big 2 foot long 1/2" inch drive for the 70+ ft pound jobs. This way I can change the oil my self, use a torque wrench after confirming the drain plug and its seal are still good to reuse, and torque it per manual or honda official website spec for that vehicle and KNOW it is done correctly. Dealership mechs sometimes just keep using that **** air impact wrench and don't release the trigger quickly enough NOT to over torque that drain plug and end up stripping the threads on the drain bolt, the oil drain plug thread opening or both. I appreciate this thread and all others very much as I'll finish saving up for my first motorcycle, 2017 rebel 300 abs, by first Friday of May 2018, and I'll be better prepared to deal with any of these problems you all posted. Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts