Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good. What was the fitting like? Did you need to customize it to fit the fender?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No customization but there was some forceful squeezing to get things all lined up. I ended up getting different hardware from Home Depot to feel better about all the mounting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That is pretty tall but looks nice too. Also looks like it lays back pretty far. I as well was wanting something to take off easy when I don’t have my wife with me which is rare. So I just had to make my own. It come up just passed mid back. Once I get the passenger seat on it should be around mid back level. I still have to make a back pad for it too.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't get the point of these. The Rebel is my first bike so my moto knowledge is limited. Don't take that as a slight in any way. I just don't get it.

Also kinda looks like a dong. ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't get the point of these. The Rebel is my first bike so my moto knowledge is limited. Don't take that as a slight in any way. I just don't get it.

I am not sure but maybe it's for people who can't remember where they parked. You tie a flag to the top so you can see where your bike is from far away. I have seen poles with flags on mobility scooters.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Taking advantage of the sissy-bar discussion here, I'd love your to hear honest opinion about the following item - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWDVVLN/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B06XWDVVLN&pd_rd_wg=HSmx9&pd_rd_r=AXE9KKWVN7F3NRMJPCJX&pd_rd_w=SJhVk

I measured my Rebel and it looks like this sissy bar is a good fit. Fender mounting bolts are 19cm apart from center to center. Fender is 22cm wide, so I'm guessing that with the mounting washers, it'll be a very close fit to the width of the mounting plates (measuring 27cm according to images of the item).

My concerns revolve around spending 130USD plus taxes here in Israel on an item that might fit but might be crap or hard to modify and mount. If anyone has any experience with the above or similar gear I'd love to hear what you think.

·
Registered
814 Posts

The actual point of a Sissy Bar is a backrest for the passenger.

I never understood the whole gigantic one though.

·
Registered
79 Posts

It's to make it look like there's a dong on the back of your bike. Also gives you something to strap stuff to.
Hahaha! I swear I meant no offense by that comment.

Solid responses to my post though. Good info. I'm bobbing mine, but definitely get the function a bit more now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

It's to make it look like there's a dong on the back of your bike. Also gives you something to strap stuff to.
Hahaha! I swear I meant no offense by that comment.

Solid responses to my post though. Good info. I'm bobbing mine, but definitely get the function a bit more now.
No worries. I'm kind of weird with my bikes. I've got a bobber-esque big twin Harley and I've got a passenger seat and places to strap stuff on my little Honda. It's a bit backwards but I'm not worried at all about long touring rides on the Rebel and the Harley ended up being more of the "around town" bike.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Taking advantage of the sissy-bar discussion here, I'd love your to hear honest opinion about the following item - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWDVVLN/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B06XWDVVLN&pd_rd_wg=HSmx9&pd_rd_r=AXE9KKWVN7F3NRMJPCJX&pd_rd_w=SJhVk

I measured my Rebel and it looks like this sissy bar is a good fit. Fender mounting bolts are 19cm apart from center to center. Fender is 22cm wide, so I'm guessing that with the mounting washers, it'll be a very close fit to the width of the mounting plates (measuring 27cm according to images of the item).

My concerns revolve around spending 130USD plus taxes here in Israel on an item that might fit but might be crap or hard to modify and mount. If anyone has any experience with the above or similar gear I'd love to hear what you think.
While I haven't had any experience with this one, looking at the various items on Amazon and checking dimensions lead me to believe it will work.

You may need to do a bit of filing/bending to get a good fit, but I think it'd be worth it as it's the neatest design i've seen and the fact that it's quick release removable is a bonus.

Do it!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Jim. I really do like it, and for the price it seems like an excellent choice.

Two things that worry me - One is that I don't have a proper garage with tools at home to do filing or complicated adjustments. I could probably bend it a bit if needed, but any metal work will have to be done by a professional. Second thing is that it's detachable, and suddenly I'm worried about it being stolen somehow.

Any ideas on how I might secure it permanently to the fender?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts