Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Honda Rebel 500 with ABS. I watched a you tube video that EN187 did changing the relay on his bike which is a 2019 Rebel 500 w/o ABS. When I removed the gas tank on my bike it did not look anything like the bike in the video.
So, after all of that, does anyone know where the OEM relay is located on my bike? Has anyone changed the relay on a Rebel 500 with ABS?

·
Registered
209 Posts

Here's a pic from another job I did on my bike...relay would be right under the 8 pin junction

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RWS, but I have no idea where the 8 pin junction is located. I see an item that has 8 rings with a aqua color. Would the relay be just below the rubber grommet where the tank sits?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks RWS, but I have no idea where the 8 pin junction is located. I see an item that has 8 rings with a aqua color. Would the relay be just below the rubber grommet where the tank sits?
based on the shop manual schematic in my previous post and without taking my tank off and verifying I believe it is the one indicated by arrow...in any case if your turn signals don't work once removed from wiring harness you'll know if you have the correct module or not

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you so much. I appreciate your effort in helping a guy that is two bricks shy of a load. Which shop manual did you get? The one I got doesn't have any schematics like that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank you so much. I appreciate your effort in helping a guy that is two bricks shy of a load.
Go to the tech section...You'll find info on where to pick up a dowloadable shop manual...will come in handy on working on the Rebel 500.

·
Super Moderator
1,293 Posts
based on the shop manual schematic in my previous post and without taking my tank off and verifying I believe it is the one indicated by arrow...in any case if your turn signals don't work once removed from wiring harness you'll know if you have the correct module or not
This is always the best method - no guess work

·
Registered
209 Posts
updated relay info
1. turn signal/hazard relay
2. fan control relay
3. main relay
4. fuel pump relay
5. turn signal/hazard diode

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks again rws!! You have been a great help! I see you have a Memphis Shield. What is your height and the height of the shield you purchased. I'm 5'10" and am thinking of the 18".

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks again rws!! You have been a great help! I see you have a Memphis Shield. What is your height and the height of the shield you purchased. I'm 5'10" and am thinking of the 18".
I'm 6'4" and the Big Shot windshield is 20" high. I contacted Memphis Shades to see if they would make a custom Big Shot a little higher but they said no. I went with the trigger-lock mounting hardware with the idea I would probably riding the bike without the windshield most of the time...but I haven't taken it off yet.

Memphis Shades Big Shot Windshield for Rebel 300/500

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, tried to get the relay out. No chance for me. I would need to take a lot of the stuff out to get to it and I am too old to do all that. Guess I'm just going to have to live with fast signal lights. Hey, better than no lights!! Thanks again!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, tried to get the relay out. No chance for me. I would need to take a lot of the stuff out to get to it and I am too old to do all that. Guess I'm just going to have to live with fast signal lights. Hey, better than no lights!! Thanks again!

you have to remove the ignition switch stay to get at it.....did you source the shop manual?

Reactions: RupertC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,

I did a bad thing here, I put a 10A fuse in where the 7.5A was meant to be for the indicators. Something shorted out and now I have no indicators. I've replaced the flasher and tested the hazard diode. However still getting no clicking from the flasher when it's on.
When I turn the bike on the front two indicators are solid on, when I try indicate left, the left light goes off, when I indicate right, the right indicator goes off. When I hit the hazards both turn off. Any ideas on what else it could be?
I don't have rear indicators fitted at all.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Did you find short? This is first thing to solve. Second, you said no rear indicators- flasher needs all, I mean ALL blinkers to work correcty (factory installed unit)!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My first reaction is that you did something in the headlight housing that affected the front indicator wires. Just a thought!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for your replies. The short has been fixed and I have four indicators connected.
So I have 3 new flashers (one LED, one the exact one from Honda, and a cheap Ebay one) none are making the clicking indicator sounds when I have all the indicators connected.
When connected the indicators are all illuminated and then when I go to indicate left the left ones turn off, when I indicate right the right ones turn off. So I am not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for your replies. The short has been fixed and I have four indicators connected.
So I have 3 new flashers (one LED, one the exact one from Honda, and a cheap Ebay one) none are making the clicking indicator sounds when I have all the indicators connected.
When connected the indicators are all illuminated and then when I go to indicate left the left ones turn off, when I indicate right the right ones turn off. So I am not sure where to go from here.
Hi Chris. Have you figured it out yet? I have the exact same problem, after trying to install some aftermarket tail lights. I heard a pop then started getting same symptoms as you. I think it’s the turn signal hazard diode but I’m not able to find it anywhere online.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Chris. Have you figured it out yet? I have the exact same problem, after trying to install some aftermarket tail lights. I heard a pop then started getting same symptoms as you. I think it’s the turn signal hazard diode but I’m not able to find it anywhere online.
Hey R2R0, no I haven't managed to resolve this yet. I do know it's not the fuse or the flasher though. If it is, i've had a look on a few websites and I'm fairly certain it's listed as "RECTIFIER, SILICON 31700-MM8-610"
Those sites have them. Unless I'm looking at the wrong part

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey R2R0, no I haven't managed to resolve this yet. I do know it's not the fuse or the flasher though. If it is, i've had a look on a few websites and I'm fairly certain it's listed as "RECTIFIER, SILICON 31700-MM8-610"
Those sites have them. Unless I'm looking at the wrong part
Thank you. I don’t know what else it can be because I swapped the relay and don’t think it can be the computer so I’m going to take a gamble and ordered a flasher.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts