Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Rebels =) I have been doing some reading on the various forums, and I saw some people mentioning that they "DON'T" always use their clutch to switch into higher gears, and only usually use it for 1st and 2nd? Does this sound familiar? Is this possible? This is my first bike so I have no other experience...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've read about clutchless shifting also, but never tried it. To be honest, I don't really see the point or benefit. I wouldn't do that in my car, I'm definitely not going to do that on my motorcycle.

-CG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was thinking the same thing. i thought that a bike wouldnt shift at all if you didn't press in a clutch?

·
Registered
121 Posts
It is more of a racing technique than a general riding technique. From 2nd gear upward, you can load a bit of pressure on the shift lever and then back off the throttle and increase the pressure. It works because of the sequential gearing used in motorcycles.

It is far more important for you to learn proper rev-matching for down shifts (in which the clutch is always used).

See the throttle blipping topic in the engine discussions section below.sec

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive tried this on several occasions and i dont do this all the time i only use it when I pull out into the road to late due to hesitation and the only thing i can say is becareful when you get to 5-6 because mine likes to go into false neutral and obviously not a good thing i hear my tranny grinding and on a mc it sounds way worse than a car but ive never had a problem doing this in 1-5 but its just a faster way to shift

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also use the clutch always when downshifting honda doesn’t incorporate the synchronizers into the tranny to down shift without the clutch

·
Registered
129 Posts
WHY WOULD they put a clutch on the bike IF your NOT going to use it????
Its there for a reason and I just dont get WHY you would NOT use it???!?!?!?!

Its like oil - well I heard you can drive 100 miles without it. I'll just add some later!

·
Registered
814 Posts
WHY WOULD they put a clutch on the bike IF your NOT going to use it????
Its there for a reason and I just dont get WHY you would NOT use it???!?!?!?!

Its like oil - well I heard you can drive 100 miles without it. I'll just add some later!
Did you watch the video that was already posted?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I clutch from 1-2 and seldom again while shifting up, but always on the down shift. I just put a little up pressure on the shifter and blip off the throttle a micro second and she slips rite into the next gear. Being a newbee I have picked up on the fact that when down shifting through the gears, with no gear indicator, to keep an eye out for the green N to blip on the dash while going from 2nd to 1st. That way I know I'm actually in 1st gear at the stop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks again for posting that video - it was very helpful and informative. I have tried clutch-less quick shifting between 3-4 4-5 and 5-6 and it is very smooth and easy if you follow the instructions. I don’t do it very often, but since the Rebel is under powered compared to a lot of bikes out there, it helps a lot when getting up into higher speeds. never was very successful at the down shifts though, but i am fine using a clutch when engine braking

1 - 16 of 16 Posts