Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've owned her for a month. The 3 big things I've done (so far)...
1. Windshield (SpitFire)
2. Handlebar risers ( I am barely 5 feet and my neck and arms were killing me. By putting the riser in and rotating the bar back just a pinch it's made all the difference in the world)
3. Hard saddlebags ( bottom line, but have my local Honda dealer install them for me so I wouldn't risk screwing them up)
The rear rack to go over the fender will be coming in from Japan in July.

The only things I still need to do is paint the exhaust as the previous owner decided to keep the bike in his living room and head hit the doorway with it. It's not damaged, but it does have a paint transfer. Eventually repaint the exhaust. And have the rear rack installed once it finally arrives from the land of the rising sun...

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi! The windshield is a Spitfire, it is not bike specific (you can purchase them in various heights-mine is the Slipstreamer S-06 Spitfire Shield with 1in. & 7/8in Clamp Tint). If you try to order it through Amazon it will tell you it will not fit on the 2017 or 2018 Honda rebel, but indeed it does. They are adjustable with the hardware enclosed in the package. And super easy to install. Right around $75USD thru Amazon. And it doesn't rattle when I'm going at high-speeds. The carnage of all the dead bugs shows just how good a job it's doing!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hi! The windshield is a Spitfire, it is not bike specific (you can purchase them in various heights-mine is the Slipstreamer S-06 Spitfire Shield with 1in. & 7/8in Clamp Tint). If you try to order it through Amazon it will tell you it will not fit on the 2017 or 2018 Honda rebel, but indeed it does. They are adjustable with the hardware enclosed in the package. And super easy to install. Right around $75USD thru Amazon. And it doesn't rattle when I'm going at high-speeds. The carnage of all the dead bugs shows just how good a job it's doing!
You sir are my hero today. Wasted 8 hours at work researching windshields.
Ordering one now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How tall is the windshield? Do you get wind in the helmet still? I ride on the highway alot and it gets annoying trying to hold my head foward.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Spitfire is very adjustable, and can be raised & lowered depending on your height & comfort level. I have the top of mine parallel with just below my nose so I can see over it. It does the job of keeping the wind off of me. Just a note: if you choose to keep it low, be aware that the stems that fit into the mounting brackets may hit your gas tank if you make a hard left or right turn. I fortunately was aware of this before that happened and had that problem remedied by having the dealership who installed my saddlebags cut the bottoms of the stems down since they had the tools. The stems are solid metal (maybe aluminum?). Put some black nail polish on where they did the cut and you would never know they weren't originally that short. See photos for before and after. (if my handlebars do look a little different in the 2 photos, it is because I had them rotate them in a bit towards me for comfort).

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
would you mind taking a picture of the saddle bag mount? you said they were installed for you, just wondering what (if any) fabrication was involved or if they used the fender bolt holes /universal design.
Thanks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My spitfire came in today! Looks good, haven't tested it just yet.

Advice to everyone, kind of tough to do with only one set of hands. Leave on the protective film while installing. Dropped it once and would've been scratched if I took mine off. Was too excited and mounted it a bit of centered on the handlebars.

Overall I think it's the perfect height for this bike.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sorry, don´t want to critizize but...
the two clamps of the screen seems to me, they are not exactly centered. Maybe it´s the perspective of the picture.
The right clamp looks as centered nearly exactly in the curved crest of the handlebar, but not so the left one. It seems to mounted too wide left.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sorry, don´t want to critizize but...
the two clamps of the screen seems to me, they are not exactly centered. Maybe it´s the perspective of the picture.
The right clamp looks as centered nearly exactly in the curved crest of the handlebar, but not so the left one. It seems to mounted too wide left.
No worries, it was off centered in the pic.
My OCD got the best of me and I ended up spending another hour on it readjusting. All good now.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
Rode my bike in to work today with the new spitfire windshield and figured I'd give anyone interested a small review.
Keep in mind it was a little chilly this morning at 50 degrees and may affect the overall tone of the review.
A tad bit disappointed, at 5'10" when sitting upright there is wind blast at the eyes and forehead. Really not a big deal if you wear a full face helmet, hits right at the spot helmets curve and shouldn't fatigue you're neck. Unfortunately I wore my 3/4 helmet this morning with a pair of sunglasses (no foam). If you tuck in you're in your own little bubble with zero wind. Feels nice, but would quickly cramp up in the long run. Solution = Wear a full face helmet on long or cold trips.

The good news is there is virtually zero wind that hits the body. Doesn't feel like I'm holding on to dear life at upper speeds. That alone negates the disappointment stated above.
I ride through a forest preserve as well, didn't feel anything "wet" hit my face today. Either bugs weren't out or the windshield did it's job.

If you're 5'7" or under I'd imagine you'd have better results. I really don't want to sacrifice the look of the bike by going with a taller windshield, so I'll stick with the spitfire for now.
If you're okay with the look of the windshield, for under $80 on amazon it's worth a try.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Bill, you're nearly a foot taller than myself so I imagine the ergonomics with the Spitfire will definitely be a bit different, but I'm glad you're happy with the purchase! It looks good, I preferred the tinted one myself as well for this bike as it looks custom made for it. It can be a bit tricky lining up the mounting points evenly, but with patience and a little time, you'll find the "sweet spot" for your windshield. I originally had the mounting points close to the center of the bars, but after tweaking them, and being able to make them shorter, I moved them out a bit, freeing up some valuable "real estate" on the bars in case I decide to put a cup holder or cell phone mount up there.

My hard saddlebags were purchased on Ebay, listing: Mutazu Matte Black GA Universal Motorcycle Hard Saddlebags fits most Cruisers with Heavy Duty Mounting Brackets and Grommets, seller is: mutazu - looks as though they're out of stock right now. (For only $125USD with free shipping, they are an excellent deal!) Once again, if you put your bike specs in for compatibility, it will tell you these saddlebags are NOT compatible with our Rebels ... I have defied the odds once again and shown these bags were practically made for this bike - ha ha ha ...

Odin: "would you mind taking a picture of the saddle bag mount? you said they were installed for you, just wondering what (if any) fabrication was involved or if they used the fender bolt holes /universal design. Thanks."
I can't really get a good picture as the bags completely cover the mounts (see photo), but I can tell you they mounted them off of the original fender bolt holes (no modifications to the bike itself) - they're mounted on the diagonal (they trimmed off the bottom of the mounting bracket as it was sticking out just a bit beyond the saddlebag itself), and they did put custom holes inside the bags to ensure the supports were correct and even on both sides. If you're able to take a look at that listing on EBay, you'll see a picture of the hardware used for the installation. I did pay to have these installed, but in the end - COMPLETELY worth it.

I hope this answers some of you folks' questions!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts