Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
as others have said-because it's so light and nimble. when I had the vstar 1300 sure it was great for long distance riding, but I took only a handful of trips like that in the 3 years I had it. just to drive 5 minutes around town it was more of a hassle, and parking with its size and everything..
i'm glad to have a smaller bike that I can just push around wherever I like. basically fits like a glove to borrow the expression.

·
Banned
247 Posts
When I see members in here posting pictures of bikes like these, I can't help but think "why would you want a Rebel?"
I honestly don't get it..
I must say I'm a bit confused by this as well. While the new Rebel is not a powerhouse, a record-breaker, or anything that you would brag about to people that have other motorcycles it is a one of a kind bike.

For me and my 500, it is a perfect starter bike. It is a great bike that has all the power that someone like me will need today and well into the future. I bought the bike knowing that I would not be selling it, and that I would either give it to my son when he hits 16 or I will keep it when I buy another bike and use it as my modification toy to make it everything I want it to be for me. To put it simply, it's a dead simple blank canvas to which either me or my son will use to express ourselves on a bike with plenty of power and enough classic stylings to keep either of if happy.

Sure there are faster bikes, more modern bikes, more classic bikes, but the Rebel is a tried and true name from a tried and true company and I know that f I care care of it it will take care of me and that means more to me than going 150mph or owning a $30,000 bike. It's a cheap bike that looks good and if something happens to it then it's not a huge loss.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
I think the real question for you is "why would you SETTLE for a Rebel when it's not the bike you wanted"? That I don't get. Most of us got the bike we wanted not a second or third choice bike - I certainly got the bike I wanted and I could have had any bike.
For me..? Well if you know that much, you should also know the rest then, no?
"I certainly got the bike I wanted and I could have had any bike" Good for you, good for you....

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think the real question for you is "why would you SETTLE for a Rebel when it's not the bike you wanted"? That I don't get. Most of us got the bike we wanted not a second or third choice bike - I certainly got the bike I wanted and I could have had any bike.
I think you are wrong here. There are plenty of people here who bought the rebel solely for the low seat height. Buying a 250+ kg, $15000 Harley is not really an option for most dwarfs and just because one is short does not mean one is into cruiser style bikes anyway.
Apart from that there are many reasons why someone settled for a bike that was not their first choice. You of all people here should be old enough to know that one can't always get what one wants.

·
Registered
849 Posts
For me..? Well if you know that much, you should also know the rest then, no?
The only thing I know is what you posted in this thread.

I think you are wrong here. There are plenty of people here who bought the rebel solely for the low seat height. Buying a 250+ kg, $15000 Harley is not really an option for most dwarfs and just because one is short does not mean one is into cruiser style bikes anyway.
Apart from that there are many reasons why someone settled for a bike that was not their first choice. You of all people here should be old enough to know that one can't always get what one wants.
changed

·
Registered
849 Posts
Going through some old scanned photos and came across this - my 1972 Yamaha RD250. Sorry for the quality but it's a scan of a 110 negative.

Attachments

Reactions: 01-7700 and Mike

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
gary -reminds me of my uncles bike; he still has his 77 Yamaha 400. it was nice the one time he let me ride it about 15 years back. sadly he stopped riding and left it sit in his yard now it's mostly rusted :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's a picture of my 1969 Honda CB350K0. I bought it new in Japan and had it shipped to Seattle. When I was discharged from the Navy I rode it from Seattle to Phoenix. Let me tell you, my fanny was just a tad bit sore by time I made it to Phoenix. I think it took me 4 days to get here? It came with a KPM speedometer and I changed it to a MPH speedometer. Wish I would of keep the KPM, but I didn't. I paid $470 for the bike and $95 shipping. Total of $565. Stateside price for the same bike was $835. So I done good on the price. :smile2:

IMG_5989.JPG

·
Registered
4 Posts
My first two-wheeled motorized vehicle was a Vespa 125cc scooter that I bought used (for $75!) at age 15, in 1963. Painted it a lovely blue candy-apple lacquer, so I regret not having any photos!
Five years later, I sprang for a new Triumph Tiger T100R Daytona. With a 500cc parallel twin, 41 bhp, 30 in seat height, and a curb weight of 360 lb, it was very similar to my new Rebel 500.
PICT0034.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
205 Posts
Here are my two favorites.

1947 Harley Knucklehead. The rear tire was the suspension LOL:
knuckle.jpg

Don't remember what year but probably the second most fun bike I had. Kawasaki Big Horn. 350cc thumper 2 stroke:

54.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
First bike, pulled it out of a friend's basement in boxes. I was 15. Took me 6 months to put it together with shop manual. Rode it for a month before the engine lunched.

1966 BMW R-60. Rode it all over So Cal 1978 - 1980

75 Honda 750. This is around 1982

First Harley. 71 Sportster XLCH.

First big twin HD. Bought the basket case in 1986 just before I got married, second pic is a year later. Bike took 5th place at the Queen Mary Easyriders show.

49 Panhead FL. 57 Straightleg frame, original pre-48 Springer with damper, jockey shift with foot clutch. Candy Burgundy over bronze metalflake, just exploded in the sun. Inspired by Peter Fonda's bike in The Wild Angels.

68 Triumph Tiger 650, restored and sold. too light for my tastes.

68 HD Electra Glide. Brief flirtation.

55 Panhead, before straightening the springer c.1988

To be continued

·
Registered
47 Posts
68 Stroker 88" Shovelhead on the speedway track, 1992. We used to do exhibition races on Harley night. Big crowd pleaser.

Titan Phoenix. HD clone, only Evo I ever owned. Also only motorcycle devoid of a soul. I called it 'The Appliance".

First Ducati - Monster 1000. Hella fast after all those Harleys.

2nd Ducati - starting a track phase. Monster wouldn't lean far enough.

996 Ducati - 748 not fast enough

1098 Ducati. Last track bike, seriously modded. Suspension, exhaust, Powercommander, quick-shift, slipper clutch. Bike was way faster than I could ever go. Busted 175MPH on the big track at Willow Springs, turned 1:40 at Laguna Seca. Not fast, but not bad for an old fart.

Regression after hanging up my race leathers - pushing 60 it's tough to keep up on the track without being dangerous.
65 Panhead, couple of my Studebakers in the background

My current ride here in Thailand - CB500XA great all around workhorse, still nimble enough to have some fun. Wife wanted to ride her own so we bought the next one for her

Da's ride - 2017 Rebel 500 ABS. Really takes me back to my Panhead Cruiser days! She loves it.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts