Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

:Shad SH23 Side Case Installation

10K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Fictionelle 
#1 ·
I’ll apologize up front for this lengthy post, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible.

I just installed Shad SH23 side cases on my 2020 Honda Rebel 500 with Shad’s 3P mounting system (they sell a kit that includes everything). I am very happy with all aspects of the bags – functional, easy to use and (in my opinion) look good on the bike. They are unnoticeable while riding.

I would like to mention up front that you will need to have the rear footpeg mounting bracket for the left side to install the 3P system. If you don’t already have a rear seat and footpegs, the solution is to buy the rear seat kit or, if you don’t want a rear seat, you can actually buy just the rear footpeg kit (cheaper than the rear seat kit). It is available on eBay and Amazon. I got mine from Amazon because of the quicker shipping.

Using the 3P mounting system, you can also mount SH36 cases which have more capacity (36L vs 23L) if you think you’ll need the extra space. Shad also offers a kit with the SH36 cases and 3P system.

I chose the Shad because I liked the design and wanted a quick release system. Viking has similar bag but (unless I’m mistaken) 1) you have to drill the bag, 2) the bag does have any sort of “handle” (Shad has a place to grip/carry the bag) and 3) if you want a quick release with the Viking, you have separate keys for the bag and the quick release mechanism. Shad only uses one key for the lid and the quick release mechanism is inside – also, Shad provides an additional [same-key] lock cylinder so that if you purchase (e.g.) a top case later, the same key will work for all three. Very thoughtful design. At this time, Givi does not offer a hard side case option.

The installation was fairly quick and easy. No drilling required. Here are a few things worth noting regarding the installation:

• The instruction sheet has the parts list on the side with the SH36 instructions. Since the SH23 instructions are on the reverse side, I found it easier for me to “organize” and label the parts in one of the cardboard boxes while installing. Picture included.
  • You replace the screws on the sides of the fender. The original screws use a 6mm hex/allen key to remove. The replacements use a 5mm.
  • I may have been misinterpreting the instruction drawings (which seem to indicate mounting the 3P system on the “outside” of the footpeg/muffler support), but I found that it fit best with that mount point on the “inside” of the footpeg/muffler support.
  • For the SH23, the installation indicates using the #3 spacers and the #4 screws on the fender connections. The SH36 instructions indicate using the #10 spacers and #9 screws. I found that the brackets aligned better using the #10 spacers and #9 screws on both sides for my SH23 installation (numbers are from the parts list). I might have been wrong, but everything seems to work fine.
  • The 3P brackets come with plastic end pieces, but the SH23 cases come with different end pieces to enable the locking mechanism. There are screws to hold them in place. I suggest changing the end pieces before mounting the brackets on the bike. It’s just a little easier to get them on, aligned and screwed into place. I also found a rubber mallet to be helpful with positioning.
I’m including a number of pictures of my bike with and without the cases. I’m also happy to answer any questions I can about the cases and the installation.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Some additional pictures

Attachments

#4 ·
great write up, and i definitely like how it looks on the bike. seems that even if you took the bags off for some reason, the bars don't ruin the look of the bike by themselves.
also that tank color is great. wish that was available in the beginning on 2017s LOL

#7 ·
Had these bags on a previous bike. And was impressed with the Shad mounts and attention to detail.
Hanging bags only from the top does not work. Eventually the sideways flex of the bags will weaken the wall of the bags and they will crack/split. Bags need low support to hold it all together.
Shad being top loaded was a big plus for me. Nothing falls out when you open them.
You also get an extra lock and several keys with the set of bags.

#8 ·
A bit of follow-up. For any of you who don't have and don't want a rear seat but want to install the Shad side cases, I saw a pop-up ad for the step support at Partzilla that looks like what's needed at a very reasonable price (though it was my impression that you couldn't buy this specific part from Honda). Anyway, it's probably worth looking into. Good Luck.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Web page

#9 ·
Thank you! Your words & detailed photos are very helpful as I'm trying to wrap my mind around this install. AND your tip about the L-Step part number means I can save money and get the key part right away (instead of "6-8 weeks" for the whole passenger kit) :)

#10 ·
Rick - glad you found my post helpful. As I mentioned, despite the Partzilla ad, the information I got from Honda directly is that that part is not available outside the rear seat kit. It would be great if you could get that and it would work. I didn't find that part until after I'd bought parts from Amazon. Just in case the Partzilla thing doesn't work out, here's what I got from Amazon that worked fine. It's more expensive than the Partzilla listing, but much less expensive than the rear seat kit from Honda. The product title is "Topteng Rear Foot Pegs Footrests Passenger for Honda 2017-2020 CMX300 CMX500 Rebel 300/500" and the page link is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083BVCJKL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good Luck!

#12 ·
UPDATE: I ordered and Partzilla shipped the part number/product listed above AND the parts-fiche shows that number as correct for the 300/500 left side passenger peg support. It does NOT fit my 2020 Rebel 300. Partzilla is working to figure it out, but so far it looks like either the part number is wrong for our bikes or the part in the bag is incorrectly labelled. Working with Partzilla now to sort it out. In the mean time I recommend: don't order this part.

#15 ·
Hi,
I realize this is a post from last year, but I'm hoping someone is still monitoring it. I bought the SHAD cases after reading this post and the follow ups, then doing a bit of my own research. I love the look of them. I managed to get the 3P kit installed using the screw and spacer parts for the larger cases as was suggested by another person. My issue now is that I can't seem to get the cases to lock into position. I changed the end caps to the S23 ones, I just can't get them to click into place. Is it a brute force thing, or could I have done something wrong? I'm a bit baffled and had to take a break from messing around with it as my palms were killing me from trying to push the cases down onto the bar far enough so the release catch could engage.

I have a 300 km ride tomorrow and really want to use these. Any suggestions appreciated.
I ride a 2020 Honda Rebel 500A.
Anna

#16 ·
I remember when I did the install that it was a bit of a monkey puzzle to make sure the end caps for the bag mount were on the correct side and orientation.

Also, to get the cases seated it helps to position the lower case bracket on the down brace first, then snap it on using the spring latch while pressing down. It should click in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.