Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I decided to visit my daughter who lives in Front Royal, VA. Living in North Georgia this allowed me to take the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive all the way to her house...around 1400 miles round trip and despite the trip being awesome I have grown to hate the seat on my rebel. I'm going to have it padded and since I have see a few others here do the same I'm curious how much padding you all had added and your thoughts on the difference additional padding made in your comfort.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Over the weekend I decided to visit my daughter who lives in Front Royal, VA. Living in North Georgia this allowed me to take the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive all the way to her house...around 1400 miles round trip and despite the trip being awesome I have grown to hate the seat on my rebel. I'm going to have it padded and since I have see a few others here do the same I'm curious how much padding you all had added and your thoughts on the difference additional padding made in your comfort.

Thanks!
I have 3 inches of foam added and it is not too much, depends on your height and inseam length as to how tall the seat can be. If you can afford it have a gel pad put in the foam before they make the new cover.
Kenny

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kenny
Are you saying that your seat is 3" thicker than it was before?, or that 3" of foam was added but compressed down so the new seat thickness is maybe 1" thicker?
I know almost nothing about re-upholstery, sorry.
I am in agreement with James, something has to be done to the original seat.
But $300-400 for a brand name new seat is a bit more than I really want to pay.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Kenny
Are you saying that your seat is 3" thicker than it was before?, or that 3" of foam was added but compressed down so the new seat thickness is maybe 1" thicker?
I know almost nothing about re-upholstery, sorry.
I am in agreement with James, something has to be done to the original seat.
But $300-400 for a brand name new seat is a bit more than I really want to pay.
The seat is now 3 inches taller after compressing the foam.
I paid $162.00 including sales tax.

Kenny G

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had an upholsterer add 2" of very stiff foam to my OEM seat and then before he put the final cover on I sculpted out a concaved section for my pelvic bones. It worked out better than I could have hoped. Plus now I sit further away from the foot pegs and my legs are so much more comfortable. I love my new seat. Cost me $150.00. Worth every penny.

modmaster

·
Registered
334 Posts
I used quite firm 1/2" foam sheets bought on ebay for next to nothing. The first objective was to get rid of the dip. So, I have a pad which is curved underneath and flat on top. I have added about 2". The pad has a cut out down the middle on some sheets for the benefit of my soft bits, and a cut out at the rear for the coccyx. I have a little more padding under the 'sit bones' than elsewhere. My rides are less than 3 hrs and all is well with the posterior. I wanted to keep it all removable so I have not covered it properly (as I could do and ought to), though it is covered.

I used a gel pad and foam on an original MT-03 and got a better result with more foam on top of that.
I have changed every bike seat (which is not many).

What I have learned is that we are all different....

PS You have brought back very happy memories of driving the Skyline Drive with friends on holiday from UK years ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info ya'll! Adding padding move you noticeably away from the handlebars? At 5'9" right now the handle bars feel good but my legs can feel a little cramped so the thought of some padding and a little more leg room sounds wonderful but I also don't want to move the discomfort to my arms/shoulders.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You probably don't want to hear this but if you're doing that kind of long distance riding you owe it to yourself to try a Corbin seat. I know the gunfighter seat is not to everyone's liking but now they make the gunfighter and lady seat that is really nice looking. Four hundred bucks is a lot of coin but I'm sure your rear is worth it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got his Ultragel seat pad from Amazon and it really does do a great job of absorbing whatever city road I encounter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSMCFOO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One commenter is correct that it absorbs heat when out in the sun, but it's not that bad at all, it just feels warm. I have a bad back so it can't fix that, but it is totally worth the money. I upgraded to the Michelin Commander II's and got this pad and it is almost like a total upgrade to the suspension. Together they made a huge difference to riding comfort, but each one made a big difference on their own.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am having a local upholstery place pad the seat for me. I picked it up today with a temporary cover to ride over the weekend to see if I like the amount of padding before they start forming it for me. Clearly they have a sense of humer...

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You probably don't want to hear this but if you're doing that kind of long distance riding you owe it to yourself to try a Corbin seat. I know the gunfighter seat is not to everyone's liking but now they make the gunfighter and lady seat that is really nice looking. Four hundred bucks is a lot of coin but I'm sure your rear is worth it.
Yeah I looked at those and I really just don't like they way those look. I'm having it padded at a local shop and if it doesn't work out I'll most likely get a Corbin. I really enjoyed my trip and I plan on doing lots of motorcycle camping so your right a good seat is a must!

·
Registered
45 Posts
James
If possible, once you have tested the final seat, could you report on your findings, and what was done, amount of foam, density, time, cost, whatever. Things that you would have liked to know before you had the seat work done.
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seat update!

I finally got my seat back and it's a huge improvement. Over the past week or so the upholsterer has been working with me adding different levels of padding and I ended up going with 1 inch of padding on top of what was existing. I tested up to 2 inches but with my short arms and legs and long torso I felt it pushed me up too high putting more stress on my wrists and shoulders than I wanted. After getting the padding where I wanted I had them shave down the sides so it was comfortable on my inner thighs. All in all it ended up costing me $233. I would have been cheaper but with the back and forth I was happy to pay for the addition labor to get the seat how I wanted.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m planning on doing the same thing with my seat. Anyone out there with an opinion about whether gel is necessary, or if extra foam is good enough? The shop I’m intending to go to doesn’t do their own gel, but will insert whatever I bring them. I’m just wary of investing in gel if I can save a few bucks with a good amount of foam.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I’m planning on doing the same thing with my seat. Anyone out there with an opinion about whether gel is necessary, or if extra foam is good enough? The shop I’m intending to go to doesn’t do their own gel, but will insert whatever I bring them. I’m just wary of investing in gel if I can save a few bucks with a good amount of foam.
I am having some back problems so I am going to have a gel insert put in my seat this winter.
I am not sure if it is a good investment or not. The guys that have the gel inserts highly recommend them.

Kenny G

1 - 20 of 24 Posts