Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m hoping someone with the Mustang seat for the Rebel 1100 can chime in on this.

I have been trying everything to make the Rebel 1100 bearable to sit on for more than a couple of hours. I had the OEM seat reupholstered with high quality foam. I bought a AirHawk cruiser pad. I even tried bicycle padded shorts. There’s something about the seat that is just killing my rear end.

I’ve never had this problem with past bikes. Well, I could ride for 4 hours at a minimum before needing to stretch my legs.

I’ve heard the Corbin solo seat is quite firm. Not sure that will work for me. I do like the Mustang seat’s size, certainly looks wider and much bigger for the additional padding.

Can anyone let me know what you’ve done to get 3-4 hours of continuous ride time?

I’m 5’9, 180lbs - about average build I’d say.

·
Registered
126 Posts

My longest ride has only been about an hour but that's due to time constraints rather than discomfort.

What does your reupholstered seat look like? Did you change the shape of it?

A Mustang saddle was the first thing I got for my bike. The padding is nice and much better than stock but I still didn't care for the shape. It's the typical cruiser shape that locks you back into a single position so you can't really move around it.

I've bought used bikes in the past that came with Corbin seats and hated every one of them. Their shape is nice but the padding they use is hard as a rock which also means you feel more bumps and vibrations through the rear suspension because the seat is absorbing less of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

My longest ride has only been about an hour but that's due to time constraints rather than discomfort.

What does your reupholstered seat look like? Did you change the shape of it?

A Mustang saddle was the first thing I got for my bike. The padding is nice and much better than stock but I still didn't care for the shape. It's the typical cruiser shape that locks you back into a single position so you can't really move around it.

I've bought used bikes in the past that came with Corbin seats and hated every one of them. Their shape is nice but the padding they use is hard as a rock which also means you feel more bumps and vibrations through the rear suspension because the seat is absorbing less of it.
Hey Jon, thanks for the response! I think that is where I went wrong. When I took it to the upholsterer, he wanted to be careful not to significantly change the ride height. In reality, I should have told him don’t worry about it as with a cruiser, the seat height is already so low. What he essentially did was keep the shape and height but added some much higher quality foam. It did improve the seat significantly, but it hasn’t helped much on the longer rides. I could take a pic of the seat currently but it looks essentially stock. My fault for not knowing exactly what I wanted - my first time getting a seat reupholstered.

I used to ride a Kawasaki Vulcan S and the seat shape was similar to the Rebel’s I think - never had any issues sitting on it for a long time. I hear you though, it is limiting in terms of being able to shift around at all.

I’ve never tried a Corbin, but that’s exactly what Ive heard. Quite firm and the break in period can be extensive.

Sounds like the Mustang seat is working out nicely for you. If you do happen to go out on a longer ride, could you report back on how you found it? They’re out of stock at the moment but I’ll likely pull the trigger when they restock.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey Jon, thanks for the response! I think that is where I went wrong. When I took it to the upholsterer, he wanted to be careful not to significantly change the ride height. In reality, I should have told him don’t worry about it as with a cruiser, the seat height is already so low. What he essentially did was keep the shape and height but added some much higher quality foam. It did improve the seat significantly, but it hasn’t helped much on the longer rides. I could take a pic of the seat currently but it looks essentially stock. My fault for not knowing exactly what I wanted - my first time getting a seat reupholstered.

I used to ride a Kawasaki Vulcan S and the seat shape was similar to the Rebel’s I think - never had any issues sitting on it for a long time. I hear you though, it is limiting in terms of being able to shift around at all.

I’ve never tried a Corbin, but that’s exactly what Ive heard. Quite firm and the break in period can be extensive.

Sounds like the Mustang seat is working out nicely for you. If you do happen to go out on a longer ride, could you report back on how you found it? They’re out of stock at the moment but I’ll likely pull the trigger when they restock.

Thanks again!
How many miles do you have with the new seat foam? I had mine done recently by Mean City Cycles (double memory foam mod), and they said it could take up to 1000 miles to break in. I have a total of one short ride on mine, so I’m nowhere near that yet. It’s possible you might just need more miles on yours for it to conform to your backside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sold the Mustang after a couple rides on it. I didn't like the shape. See the link at the top of my last reply. I had my seat recovered by Sargent and love it.
Ah I totally missed the link to your post! I’m thinking I will take my seat back to the upholsterer and show him the pics of your seat. I think the thickness and slight change in shape may make a huge difference for me!

How many miles do you have with the new seat foam? I had mine done recently by Mean City Cycles (double memory foam mod), and they said it could take up to 1000 miles to break in. I have a total of one short ride on mine, so I’m nowhere near that yet. It’s possible you might just need more miles on yours for it to conform to your backside.
That’s possible. I put about 500 miles on the seat itself before trying the airhawk on top. I think it may also be that the upholsterer was too concerned about messing with the ride height so it could use a few extra layers of foam.

For me, seats need to be flat. I did a cheap job on mind with that result. No more aches.
Yes, I think Jon’s post gives a good idea of what I may be looking for. A bit of a flatter surface and thicker padding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is my seat. It is flat. Not pretty but effective. View attachment 38309
Wow, that changes the seat height a fair bit eh? Did you find that difficult to get used to?

I was going to offer to let you ride any of my Corbin seats (I have the Classic Solo, Gunfighter and Dual Tour) but I see you're "up North".
Thanks Gary! I take it you’re out in Cali? That would be quite a long ride! Very jealous of your riding season though. I have maybe another month left before I have to put her away in the garage for 5ish months!

How do you like the Corbin seats? Which do you prefer?

·
Registered
2017 Rebel 500 Black
1,146 Posts
Wow, that changes the seat height a fair bit eh? Did you find that difficult to get used to?
The whole is 35mm (say, 1 1/2"). But compression probably takes it down to about 25mm. I have only a 31" inseam and the extra thickness never troubled me at all, the Rebel seat being so low.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Maybe a combination of a reworked seat and the Air Hawk too will help.

I like the Corbin seat on my 650 Hawk that I like the extra width and flat area. One the 1100 DCT I put an Air Hawk on it (low air pressure) and that has served me well for the last year of 150–250-mile day rides. Now at 8200 miles. Yeah we stop for lunch and gas but ride long stretches of road too. With different bikes in our group, we typically stop after 100 miles for gas. I had a lot of problems finding an acceptable seat on my 2014 FZ-09. I think I went through 4 seats.

Getting the right windshield for your head (buffeting) and the right seat for your butt can be a challenge and expensive. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

Thanks Gary! I take it you’re out in Cali? That would be quite a long ride! Very jealous of your riding season though. I have maybe another month left before I have to put her away in the garage for 5ish months!

How do you like the Corbin seats? Which do you prefer?
I love the Corbin seats. I have 2 of each model for my 2 Rebels. Corbin has been getting a bad rap lately because of less than stellar customer service but I personally haven't had a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts