Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Had my 2021 Rebel 500 for 2 weeks now and spent most of that time trying to get the ergo's right for me. Adjusted the levers, rear brake pedal height, gear shifter and am close but still not right. I find the bars too far away and my arms are close to locked out, so will have to move those back. Then there is the age old seat problem. I am not a young man at 59 and have some limited movement in my hips and find that low seat gives a lot of pain when lifting my feet onto the pegs. I tried making up a homemade pad which raised the height by about 2 - 21/2 inches and it made a whole world of difference. So is there anyone that has reupholstered their seat here and if so how did you do it ? what type of foam did you use etc. I'm not in a position to go throwing £400 - £500 at a Corbin or such like (I'm in the UK). Don't really like the look of strap-on pads, would prefer something more permanent but can't justify the cost of some of these seats. Also prefer the single seat look, so best suggestions for raising the seat by 2 to 3 inches without having to take out a mortgage and UK based or homemade, please relieve an old mans pain.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Contact this guy and away you go!

·
Registered
2017 Rebel 500 ABS
21 Posts
I found a local vehicle upholstery shop. More specifically a motorcycle/scooter upholsterer. He seemed to have good knowledge on adding extra foam and it helped a lot. I even went to a leather shop and brought him my own choice of leather.

·
Registered
2017 Rebel 500 Black
894 Posts
I did a cheapo job. Made up a pad of closed cell neoprene foam sheets. Covered with neoprene sheet. Wins no prizes for looks but does the job. My main aim was to flatten the seat. I suggest an upholsterer would be your best bet.

·
Registered
2017 Rebel 500 Black
894 Posts
It is more comfortable. The foam I chose feels a little firm but I did not want soft. The scoop shape has never suited my anatomy. So, I worked on the basis that a seat should meet the 'sit' bones, therefore flat (thoughts of olden dining chairs). The pad fills the scoop. This would allow more layers for a higher seat level, if wished.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, thanks Robbie, I am in conversation with Tom Hurley for his thoughts after BoxingDoctor's recommendation, I do love the work he does, we'll see, initial price of £165 isn't extortionate for his workmanship, more than the £30 I wanted to pay but I doubt my efforts would match his.

·
Registered
152 Posts
OK, thanks Robbie, I am in conversation with Tom Hurley for his thoughts after BoxingDoctor's recommendation, I do love the work he does, we'll see, initial price of £165 isn't extortionate for his workmanship, more than the £30 I wanted to pay but I doubt my efforts would match his.
If you decide to go for it I’m sure you’d be delighted with the work

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi All,
Had my 2021 Rebel 500 for 2 weeks now and spent most of that time trying to get the ergo's right for me. Adjusted the levers, rear brake pedal height, gear shifter and am close but still not right. I find the bars too far away and my arms are close to locked out, so will have to move those back. Then there is the age old seat problem. I am not a young man at 59 and have some limited movement in my hips and find that low seat gives a lot of pain when lifting my feet onto the pegs. I tried making up a homemade pad which raised the height by about 2 - 21/2 inches and it made a whole world of difference. So is there anyone that has reupholstered their seat here and if so how did you do it ? what type of foam did you use etc. I'm not in a position to go throwing £400 - £500 at a Corbin or such like (I'm in the UK). Don't really like the look of strap-on pads, would prefer something more permanent but can't justify the cost of some of these seats. Also prefer the single seat look, so best suggestions for raising the seat by 2 to 3 inches without having to take out a mortgage and UK based or homemade, please relieve an old mans pain.
I also have a 2021 500 Rebel and I am 75 with back problems. I found the Mustang seat to be a great improvement. Check them on the internet to see the vast difference in thickness.
I also am only 5ft 5 and wanted some pull back on the bars, so I installed a riser set. I cant remember the name of the riser. It is on the net in a Utube with a guy doing the job on his wifes bike in the middle of nowhere. These 2 improvements plus viking bags and a windshield made a great difference in my riding pleasure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also have a 2021 500 Rebel and I am 75 with back problems. I found the Mustang seat to be a great improvement. Check them on the internet to see the vast difference in thickness.
I also am only 5ft 5 and wanted some pull back on the bars, so I installed a riser set. I cant remember the name of the riser. It is on the net in a Utube with a guy doing the job on his wifes bike in the middle of nowhere. These 2 improvements plus viking bags and a windshield made a great difference in my riding pleasure.
Thanks mike, I have seen the Mustang seat but it's really hard to find here in the UK but that is exactly what I need, as mentioned am talking to Tom Hurley at the moment for a solution trouble is he has a long waiting list (spring maybe) so may have to find an intermediate solution although bikes winterized at the moment and probably for the next 3 months or so. The risers is also something I will have to do, seen that vid the guys is in the middle of a park doing it, did all your cables reach ? Also have some small bags on order and want to change the muffler for either Musarri (out of stock everywhere) or Lextek CP8C (may be a bit loud) don't want to p**s off the neighbours but it does sound good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts