Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered the motozaaa scrambler kit for my 500 and just wasn’t feeling the height of the seat or the plastic panels that come with the kit so I decided to drop the seat quite a bit and make my own panels. This means I would have to mod the seat and frame of the bike, but it’s not as hard as you would think. I’ll drop a picture down below of the build so far! Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Scrambler,

I have often said the only way anyone will get a seat height that they want is by sawing the loop off of the frame.
Are you planning any reinforcement of the frame?

Kenny G

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Locky thanks!!!

@kenny yah I have a bracket for extra support but there is a support bar near the rear shocks so I’m not too worried about it and the frame is pretty **** thick. I just flipped the rectifier tray for easy mounting and mocked up a piece of cardboard for the side covers. This only took me about 3 hours of actual work and is not really bad to do, I thought about doing a write up on the whole thing if people were actually interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
@Locky thanks!!!

@kenny yah I have a bracket for extra support but there is a support bar near the rear shocks so I’m not too worried about it and the frame is pretty **** thick. I just flipped the rectifier tray for easy mounting and mocked up a piece of cardboard for the side covers. This only took me about 3 hours of actual work and is not really bad to do, I thought about doing a write up on the whole thing if people were actually interested.
I would be interested in reading an article on the whole project.

I have read other guys that thought the scrambler seat was not very comfortable.
What do you think about the seat comfort?

Kenny G

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I haven’t been able to take a ride on it yet. Living in Ny it’s the best around this time of year but hopefully soon I will be able to get a decent ride on it and will let you know but it is definitely more comfortable than the stock seat. Once I’m finished with the project I will post a full write up on the build.

·
Registered
742 Posts
interesting take so far. i was talking to @hulksmash about his, and debating going this route at one point, but couldn't get over the craptastic looking side panels.
on your build, were you thinking of putting something between the new seat frame and the section of the "ring" you cut off? seems it would be much more stable that way.
good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Odin no I don’t think I’m going to put anything between there because with this build I think I may some how figure out how to make the scrambler seat interchangeable with my single seat so I can switch them when ever I want. It is something that I have never seen before and how cool would it be to have a bike that can go from a bobber to a scrambler in 10 minutes. I love both styles of bike and just want a unique take on both. I found another custom that has chopped the hoop even lower and hasn’t added any extra support so I think I will be fine with just my seat bracket as extra support. I’ll add the photos of that bike below.
@shortyg83 I will post a few pictures for you tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is there a reason why you're still leaving so much of the cut pipe on there? You could have a more seamless look by cutting those tubes down further which at the same time would lower the seat some so it doesn't sit so high on the gas tank. It'd be one thing if you were going to weld in a center brace piece, but since you're not, there's no reason you'd need 2-3 inches of partially curved pipe just sitting there under the seat not doing anything. And from what I can gather from your prior post about wanting to be able to swap to a bobber seat, it doesn't sound like you're going to be welding the seat piping to the bikes frame, so there's even less of a reason to have that excess on there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Below are 2 photos one of the scrambler kit installed on hulksmashs rebel with no mods and one with mine cut and moded.
This is interesting, Scrambler88. Cool you're doing this!

Any idea of the difference in seat height between the stock Motozaa kit and your modded version? Or if that's too hard to figure (since you've already done the job), what is your finished seat height now with your modded version? That's what I'd be interested in (with short legs). Hoping that doing what you did might end up being no more than 30 inches (unladen)...?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@holypotatoes the more I look at it the more I want to just have a permanent hoop welded on, but before that I want to make sure the seat will not bottom out on the tire riding 2 up. I’m thinking about riding as is until I can find some 1 inch tubing and bend it into shape for the seat frame and weld it into place. I’m thinking of building a hoop similar to the one in the photos below on a triumph with a little luggage rack to tie down a bag for traveling.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
@holypotatoes the more I look at it the more I want to just have a permanent hoop welded on, but before that I want to make sure the seat will not bottom out on the tire riding 2 up. I’m thinking about riding as is until I can find some 1 inch tubing and bend it into shape for the seat frame and weld it into place. I’m thinking of building a hoop similar to the one in the photos below on a triumph with a little luggage rack to tie down a bag for traveling.
That'd look good. Not to mention it would add a little more structure to prevent any possible inward flex.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I ordered the motozaaa scrambler kit for my 500 and just wasn’t feeling the height of the seat or the plastic panels that come with the kit so I decided to drop the seat quite a bit and make my own panels. This means I would have to mod the seat and frame of the bike, but it’s not as hard as you would think. I’ll drop a picture down below of the build so far! Let me know what you guys think.
I love the look, how comfortable is the seat?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! @Shizak I actually enjoy this seat a lot more than the stock seat. I haven’t taken it on a long ride seeing it’s still freezing in Ny but hopefully soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here’s a few photos from today. Repainted the tank and bolted on both passenger brackets and pegs. Just have to get a rear fender and pop some lights on the back and I’ll hopefully be done 🏻🤞

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts