Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 MCX500
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya - woman rider here. I've been riding a Lance Cali Classic 200i for 2 years, totally fine with the speed limitation and loving the automatic-ness of riding a scooter, and I had no intent to ever go on the freeway. I only got it because I could never find frikkin parking around where I live, which is near the beach in Long Beach, CA. I got my motorcycle permit in Sept 2019.

I was busy riding around town all the time, and then COVID happened and the DMV shut down. So I could not ever get in to take my driving test at the DMV. When my permit expired was about the time they started taking appointments again, and I took the test in October. Of course, I put my foot down, because the transmission is hard to control at low speed and honestly, when you're new, that's a really small circle. They renewed my permit for another year and I went on my way.

A few months before my permit was going to expire again, I started going down to the DMV on Sundays and practicing on the test track behind the building. When I had taken my test, the administrator said just go down and around and come back. So, I practice and got to where I could coast through most of the first circle, overcoming the speed control issue. When I went back at the beginning of September to try the test again. the test administrator said 2 times around. I had been practicing just going in a circle around and around and could do it 90% of the time. But with a large audience and the added pressure of this being the real deal, I put my foot down again. At that point, I said screw it, I will just go take the safety course and be done with the whole thing. My husband has been riding since 2013 and wanted me to take the course but I felt challenged by trying to pass the real test at the DMV so was kinda stubborn about it. He rides a BMW something-or-other. :p

I took my course with Clutch Motorcycle Training here in Long Beach and was stuck on a Honda Grom, which was too small (I am 5'5") but there weren't many Rebels available. So I didn't get to ride one during my course, but I did sit on it for sizing purposes and decided it was the bike for me. I was amazed at how much more control I had at low speeds, and by this time I had been riding 2 years (5000 miles), so my balance had gotten pretty good. I mean, I finally do LEAN into turns when there is one. So, I really got it to be safer when riding, not for the lifestyle or anything. In fact, it will be interesting to see if people treat me differently now that I am on a black motorcycle instead of a white scooter. So, taking the course finally got me my license. And, that course does NOT prepare people properly to be on the road. Just lots of riding time will, and staying alive.

I think it will be a little difficult to adjust to the lifestyle. Right now, I hop onto my scooter in tennies and capris/shorts and go down to the beach to go for a walk. Now I will have to carry and change shoes on the sidewalk to be able to go for my walk. And I also use my scooter for everything, including grocery shopping and also hauling around a milk crate full of books behind me because I run a Little Free Library and I visit other libraries to donate books. I don't even know if I will have the same carrying capacity. I could bring home plants and a bag of dirt from the nursery, and I could do 6 bags of groceries - 2 in the box, 3 in the crate, and one hanging on the hook in front of me. It's going to be an adjustment. If anyone has any advice for a really great fix for this, please let me know. I need secure storage on the bike, something people won't get into and won't remove.

Also, I am a larger body size and also have hard-to-fit feet. This has been another thing that has kept me away from motorcycles. There really is a deplorable lack of support for women like me. I don't fit into tiny women's jackets, but the men's jackets arms are 6 inches too long. Not sure how long until I can actually ride this bike, because I am having trouble even finding boots - they need to be ankle boots because women have calves, and zipper entry because I am not very flexible and have torn both menisci so lacing anything - especially standing on a sidewalk somewhere - just isn't going to work for me.

So, that's me. Oh, I'm from Seattle, but have been in the Los Angeles area since 2013. I am an online ESL teacher, online bookkeeper, and am training to become a voiceover artist. I am an avid gardener and I love hummingbirds and have many around my house. And I was a scooter chick, but I guess now I am a moto chick. I hope to have a picture soon.

2018 Rebel 500
Smile Plant Photograph Automotive lighting White

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
85 Posts
nice bike, looks like a car tire on back, they ride a bit different but I loved having one on my burgman, I know your pain on shoes, I have a size 7 EEE foot (mens) and a fused ankle on the right side

·
Registered
2018 MCX500
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice bike, looks like a car tire on back, they ride a bit different but I loved having one on my burgman, I know your pain on shoes, I have a size 7 EEE foot (mens) and a fused ankle on the right side
First thing my husband did was order tires! What kind of shoes or boots do you have? I'm a Men's 7 wide I think but want an easy on and off ankle boot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
First thing my husband did was order tires! What kind of shoes or boots do you have? I'm a Men's 7 wide I think but want an easy on and off ankle boot.
my right ankle is about the size of a softball and does not bend at all, fused solid and the foot has end stage arthritis down to the second joint from the toe, so a few metatarsals don't move below the ankle, no shoe goes on/ off easy for me , and all have to be below the ankle cause they won't fit around it without tearing up grafted skin, Sorry I couldn't be of any help,

I can say special orthotic shoes, prescription fitted by Hangar Orthotics work great for sitting in the easy chair and not moving, but a little pricey at $700.00 a pair and wear out in a month just walkin around inside the house:mad:

·
Registered
2018 MCX500
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My husband thinks he can 3D print a shift pad (our public library has 3D printers available to use), and I ordered a leather ankle bootie with 2 zippers from my regular brand that actually fits my feet (Propet has extended sizes). He says the shifter on my bike is fairly easy to move, so maybe that will work. Still trying to get it approved for the road, so haven't gotten to try it yet.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS in blue
41 Posts
Welcome!! As a fellow lady-rider I can say I've had luck looking for some sorts of gear in the "youth" section for dirt-bikes. It's not a cool street look, but it might keep you safe as many of the pads and whatnot are designed to slip over and be adjustable.

And if you have the cash, I highly recommend these folks:
link to the Motoport folks with the jacket I got

They make each one custom at a sewing shop here in San Diego county. They actually take a measuring tape to you while you crouch in your preferred riding stance. I even got the zip-over pants that go over your street clothes so I can ride to work.

I look like a Martian state trooper, but I'm covered in Kevlar from neck to ankles!
Sky Water Plant Ecoregion Travel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts