Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, lets post here all available saddlebags for Honda Rebel 300/500.

I found following brands.
Honda (Obviously)
$209.95 + $119.95 required for installation stays.

Viking Bags
$214.49

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please post in format like bellow, so it will be easy to read.

Brand
Model
Price
Link
Comments
Pictures
Honda (Obviously)
SYNTHETIC LEATHER SADDLEBAGS
$209.95 + $119.95 required for installation stays.
Original accessories, very expansive.
http://powersports.honda.com/2017/rebel-500-abs/accessories.aspx

Viking Bags
Honda Rebel 500 Warrior Series Motorcycle Saddlebags
$214.49
https://www.vikingbags.com/honda-rebel-500-warrior-series-motorcycle-saddlebags
Real leather, comes with mounting rack, has a lock, cheap.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Second mod (It's a bit under construction still), since original bags didn't do for me, I let dealer to take them off and I bought a pair of bags which I prefer, so I have to be a little creative, since I want to fix bags to frame, not just throw over. First I fabricated mounting point, which I bolted onto bike. For bags those are still under construction...

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
For bags I made bracket from aluminum bolted to bag and then all this bolted to frame. Just have to fabricate lower holders and call job done...

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
...saga continues... material for lower holders found in hardware store, little reshaping and... voila, got exactly what I needed

Lower holders acts like pivot points, so, basically you just put bag on lower pipe and then secure it with two nuts, easy and clean...

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very good and clever work ! Very interesting product. I was worrying about the size of the bags for our pretty small bike. It seems you can put very big panniers (36 L).
Thank you very much, friend !
Did you invite someone on the rear seat and checked that panniers aren't annoying for the passengers' legs ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's not that close really, Its something like two inches clearance. As for passenger discomfort with those bags; OEM bags are much worse in that regard, positioned higher and with "sharp" front edges, but in the other hand, most if not all rides will be solo, since wifee is rider on her own:grin2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Rupert,
I saw the other bike in your garage, and I confirm that ladies deserve something better than our little rear cushion ;-)
I was mistaking : this is not 2 panniers of 36 L each but 2 x 18 L = 36 L.
This is somehow the same limit I guessed from other sites. For example Hepco & Becker. In order to keep our little rebel cute, I think maximum dimensions would be : 40 cm x 28 cm x 18 cm (sorry guys, I'm metric minded).

Oxide announce a combination lock, but I can't see it on their pictures.
I see something on yours. Is it an option ? Is there a combination system, where ?
Can you tell us more, please, dear good fellow ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Oxide announce a combination lock, but I can't see it on their pictures.
I see something on yours. Is it an option ? Is there a combination system, where ?
Can you tell us more, please, dear good fellow ?
Yes, those little buggers, they are, but have tiny number wheels and are kinda flimsy, so it's of no use I suppose:frown2:
(It's marked on foto below)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you. It's a dissuasive lock I guess. Better than nothing.
I think you found a very good product for us European guys. For our US & Canadian friends, Viking sounds very good.
I asked questions to Hepco & Becker and I'm still (and steel) waiting for them to provide me with a photo of a rebel equiped with their saddlebags. But it's far more expensive.
https://www.hepco-shop.de/produkte/gepaeck/saddlebags/liberty

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you RupertC. That's good news.
A 2 digit lock ! Hem ! Very good security ! But that's better than nothing.
I follow you !
I ordered this rack from crsaddlebags in Thailand :
https://www.crsaddlebags.com/product/honda-rebel-saddlebagpannier-racks/?v=2a700eebddf1
The cost + shipping to France is about 59€. This is less than Honda genuine rack, and I don't think they are different. The shipment should take 20 days. I will keep you informed.
The guy at the shop was very helpful. Thanks to him, I know he he's reading us :smile2:

And after that, I will probably order Oxide saddlebags.
Another question to you Rupertc : due to the special shape of the bag, is it possible to put a computer inside (for example Macbook 22 x 32 cm) ?

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've received the racks from Thailand
https://www.crsaddlebags.com/product...v=2a700eebddf1
a week ago. So it took a week shiping to France. The product is very good quality. Here's the picture on my bike.

I would like lockable bags so I'm not sure I'll buy Oxide. Viking are very good on this point (Odin Large as tw.song is using, or Odin medium as Cueballer). But they don't ship to Europe. There are companies like USgobuy who can ship products delivered in the US worldwide. Well, need to think about it... Anyone experience ?

Regarding the clearance to exhaust, I compared photos without and with 2 people on the bike. It seems there's a 5 cm height difference. This has to be considered when positioning the bags. See pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Regarding the clearance to exhaust, I compared photos without and with 2 people on the bike. It seems there's a 5 cm height difference. This has to be considered when positioning the bags. See pictures.
Not sure I understand what you mean.

The exhaust muffler is mounted to the same rigid frame structure as the seats and fender so there is no difference in dimensions no matter how much weight is applied (within reason).

The only thing that moves up and down is the rear swing arm / wheel assembly.

Or to put it more correctly, the rear wheel/swing arm remain static and the rest of the bike, including the muffler, moves up and down on the swing arm pivot as a single integrated unit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 20 of 73 Posts