Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OBDLinkMX+ scanner communicates with phone app via bluetooth

hooked the scanner up to the DLC via a Honda DLC to OBD2 adapter cable

phone is mounted in a Juiced Squeeze wireless charger...btw the phone is easily removed from mount to receive/make calls...texts etc

scanner can read error codes and display various live engine parameters on phone (I set up a couple of pages)
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle door Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Flash photography Automotive design

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Speedometer Motor vehicle Light Gauge Tachometer

Gauge Speedometer Vehicle Measuring instrument Motor vehicle

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Interesting! Do you have any links on where to purchase the DLC adapter cable, or did you make it yourself?
EDIT:
the 1100 is a 6 pin but evidently there was a change from 4 pin to 6 pin on the 300/500 models at some point
for proper pin count for the adapter cable check your bike's DLC plug

then Google Honda 4 or 6 pin plug to OBD2 cable which will produce multiple hits for links to cables on Amazon and eBay

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: Kenny G

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is that K-line or CANBUS?
the 1100 DLC has both K-Line and CANBUS high and low...I do not know which line the scanner is getting the live data from...but I would imagine error codes would be monitored on CANBUS

Font Slope Parallel Terrestrial plant Rectangle

· Registered
75 Posts
Google "Honda 6 pin plug to OBD2 cable" will produce multiple hits for links to cable on Amazon and eBay for the 1100

likewise Google a 4 pin plug for the 300/500
Th
Google "Honda 6 pin plug to OBD2 cable" will produce multiple hits for links to cable on Amazon and eBay for the 1100

likewise Google a 4 pin plug for the 300/500
I will do that and get one set up for my bike, I already have an elm 327 and the torque pro app I use to diagnose my vehicles, do you think my set up would work or do I need another app/reader for the bike? I only want to monitor rpms/temperature on my phone through the app.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Th

I will do that and get one set up for my bike, I already have an elm 327 and the torque pro app I use to diagnose my vehicles, do you think my set up would work or do I need another app/reader for the bike? I only want to monitor rpms/temperature on my phone through the app.
give it a try...

I ran the following scanner with Torque Pro with good results before buying the OBDLinkMX+ scanner

Amazon.com: NEXAS Nexlink Car Motorcycles Bluetooth 5.0 OBD2 Scanner, Work with All Third-Party Apps Read/Erase Check Engine Light Codes Diagnostic Scan Tool OBDII Adapter Code Reader for iOS & Android : Automotive

Reactions: Wwdf3j5

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Th

another thing to remember is if you are leaving the scanner attached permanently make sure it has a "sleep" feature or it will drain your battery...the OBDLinkMX+ scanner has this feature...the NEXAS one listed above doesn't and has to be unplugged when not in use

Update: the latest NEXAS model does have sleep mode...at $46 a good buy.

· Registered
75 Posts
Just ordered an obd2 adapter, I will try it out with my existing hardware. If it does not work for some reason what you recommend will be ordered! Thanks for posting this post, I was close to buying a tach and wiring it in to monitor rpms but this route seems better 😅

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Th

with only 2 gauges displayed you will have larger dials to read...here's RPM and coolant temp displayed on Torque Pro in one of several gauge styles to choose from

Speedometer Motor vehicle Plant Gauge Vehicle

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ordered this one now, hope it's the right one 😬
the 1100 has a 6 pin DLC....evidently there was a change from 4 pin to 6 pin on the other Rebel models at some point

my 2019 500 had a 4 pin

I edited my previous post above to note this

1 - 20 of 23 Posts