Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the day I put up my bikes for the winter - sad day :|. It's been in the 30's for 3 days and the ground is starting to freeze. The good news is no more lawn mowing for a while.

I have a project Rebel (old style) that I'm going to work on over the winter in my new shop. Hoping for an early spring.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Over here in Vancouver, B.C. our group don't really give up riding on winter. For as long as we have a dry (preferably sunny) day and no rain/snow in the forecast....we dress properly and sneak out on a ride! :D

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
*sigh* It's as good as over here in Norway as well.. Planning on dealing with storing it next weekend.
Stopped by the dealership (gonna let them handle the storage this winter) this friday to ask around about storage. I was interested in hearing what they do in terms of prepping the bike.
Especially in regards of getting the tires off the ground. Turns out they don't really bother with such, since a 3-4 month storage isn't long enought to cause any problems with the tires. Or so they claim at least.

I hope to be able to get my trailer all done this winter, so that I can use that for storing the bike during winters.
Anyone know if that's gonna have any negative effect on the bike? We don't get much cold here, at most it'll be -5 or -10 degrees (around 23 degrees Fahrenheit)
But it's close to the ocean, so alot of rain and moisture, and the trailer won't be heated in any way.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Here in North Texas we ride about 11 1/2 months a year and the coldest it ever gets is about 30 degrees Fahrenheit. The occasional snow or ice gets salted, sanded & cindered so one must be careful afterwards until we have a good rain storm to wash the streets off...

Kenny G

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here in Colorado I never really put her away for the winter. We average over 300 days of sunshine annually and there's enough days where it gets warm enough (45-50F for me) to ride for a bit. My only problem is that my new helmet doesn't vent as well as my old unit and it fogs up quite a bit. I just ordered a new pinlock insert from Fog City today so hopefully I'll be back at it in no time.

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was in college I had a Kawasaki 2 stroke that I rode all year. I'm not that young kid any longer - my body likes the heat :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad to see others who brave the colder months. The winter is usually mild here and so I ride all year. Unless the white stuff is covering the road, I ride. Just add warmer gear like thermal undies, insulated jacket and gloves and I am good. I joke with all the "tough" Harley guys here about why I never see them riding in January.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Today is the day I put up my bikes for the winter - sad day :|. It's been in the 30's for 3 days and the ground is starting to freeze. The good news is no more lawn mowing for a while.

I have a project Rebel (old style) that I'm going to work on over the winter in my new shop. Hoping for an early spring.
If not a secret, what is your "project Rebel" about?:D

Would love to see the process over the winter!

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If not a secret, what is your "project Rebel" about?:D

Would love to see the process over the winter!
I will post some pics when I make some progress. I had it put almost back together at one point then stripped it back down to change the rims and tires. Backwards progress at this point. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts