Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have parked my Rebel on a street today for couple of hours.
Walking back to the bike, I've noticed that my right side body cover is missing :(
It is the plastic triangular panel that covers the allen wrench.
I have attached a photo from google with red arrow pointing to the panel. (not my bike).

Im wondering if I could order this anywhere online? or do I have to go to the dealer? (trying to avoid the dealer due to their marked up price).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you so much

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The side covers are only $10.00 or $12.00 from the dealer.
Before you put the new one back on make sure the rubber grommets are seated properly and there are no wires in the way.
Put wax or dry lube on the grommets and then make sure you press in to properly seat the cover.
Kenny G

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I would of thought Honda would of fixed this grommet issue.
They must be aware by now many owners have lost a panel because of not seating correctly.
I lost one and I think it was caused by the dealer installing a battery tender and the cable was in the way of properly seating the cover.

Moved the wire and it has been fine ever since.

My Honda VLX had the same way of attaching the side covers as the Rebel.

Kenny G

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just lost my side cover today too..

I immediately looked online and found one in partzilla. delivery in few days.. only 9.5$+ shipping.

if someone needs it: (Right side)
COVER, R. SIDE
83510-K87-A00

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. so, I've just got my part today from partzilla. I tried to install it and for some reason, the right part (where the "flat" holder is) keeps popping out. I'm not sure, maybe there's a trick how to install it, but I can't figure it out. it feels like something is pushing it back out. I tried to flatten everything, all the wires (not too many there) and it looks fine.
Did anyone install it and can give some tips? I was sure it's the easiest thing to do.. either the part is not 100% match the holes, or I am doing something wrong.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi. so, I've just got my part today from partzilla. I tried to install it and for some reason, the right part (where the "flat" holder is) keeps popping out. I'm not sure, maybe there's a trick how to install it, but I can't figure it out. it feels like something is pushing it back out. I tried to flatten everything, all the wires (not too many there) and it looks fine.
Did anyone install it and can give some tips? I was sure it's the easiest thing to do.. either the part is not 100% match the holes, or I am doing something wrong.
I'm going to state the obvious here...sorry...but did you make sure the other two are 100% popped all the way in? It's sometimes finicky but not as impossible as it sounds in your situation.

Maybe try popping the lone far right one in first and the other 2 after. Could there be something stuck in the hole maybe? I always pop the far left top first, far right, and lastly the bottom left.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your answer.
just to clarify, we're talking about the right side cover (side of the brakes).
now, I did make sure that the the other two are all the way in. the thing is that the 3rd one (the one that pops out) is not the same "pin" - it's like a flat horizontal pin that should hook the hole in the frame.
regarding the order - I read something else in the service manual: it says to first release the far-right end and then the other, and when installing do the reverse order.
I will try that again.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your answer.
now, I did make sure that the the other two are all the way in. the thing is that the 3rd one (the one that pops out) is not the same "pin" - it's like a flat horizontal pin that should hook the hole in the frame.
regarding the order - I read something else in the service manual: it says to first release the far-right end and then the other, and when installing do the reverse order.
I will try that again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok, I found what is wrong. the grommet in that hole is missing too. without it the cover won't stay. I have to get that grommet too.
any ideas to improvise that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
well, last update - happy end: the grommet was hidden behind the frame somewhere. probably it was ME that pushed it away when I was trying to install it, luckily it didn't fell when I was riding it since then. I placed the grommet and now the installation was smooth. thanks for your help anyway.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for your answer.
I will try that again.

The "1" in the picture has nothing to do with what order to pop the pins out of the grommets. It simply indicates step 1 in removing the panels with circles over the pin locations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts