Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how I would go about removing the piece that the stock muffler mounts to. It has the holes for the passenger footpegs I won't be installing and the rubber grommet mounting hole for the stock muffler. I am going to be running a shorty turnout muffler and I think the stock mount sticking out looks weird.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Two simple screws are all that holds it in place. You can't miss'em.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two simple screws are all that holds it in place. You can't miss'em.
I was hoping someone with a helm service manual could enlighten me as to what size the bolts/screws are. Metric hex I assume, I had to go to the hardware store and drop the muffler to test out different sockets for the rear axle. Honda seemed to provide half the information needed in the manual followed by a warning to take the bike to the dealer for complicated tasks.

I know they are gonna be a bitch to get out like the speedometer ones were.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe he's referring to the bracket where the rear of the muffler (and passemger foot pegs) mounts, not the muffler itself.

Basically, he's putting on a shorty muffler and has no rear pegs, so no need for that bracket to be there in the first place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
You got it. Taking the muffler off was a piece of cake. Just two 12mms

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
I was hoping someone with a helm service manual could enlighten me as to what size the bolts/screws are. Metric hex I assume, I had to go to the hardware store and drop the muffler to test out different sockets for the rear axle. Honda seemed to provide half the information needed in the manual followed by a warning to take the bike to the dealer for complicated tasks.
Do yourself a favor and just get a full set of tools, that way you'll figure it out as you go and get the job done, and the next job after that, and the next, and the next, etc.
If you ain't interested in having the proper tools available for doing your own work on the bike, then perhaps the dealership should handle it instead? :smile2:

·
Registered
182 Posts
It’s either a 6mm or 8mm hex. I can check when I get home from work unless someone else chimes in with the correct size.

That said, I’d grab a set of metric hex keys at some point. You’ll need them more than you think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s either a 6mm or 8mm hex. I can check when I get home from work unless someone else chimes in with the correct size.

That said, I’d grab a set of metric hex keys at some point. You’ll need them more than you think.
Thanks! I just wonder if I need the hex wrench or the hex sockets to get them loose. And if the hex sockets are long enough to go into the deep hole of the muffler mount.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks! I just wonder if I need the hex wrench or the hex sockets to get them loose. And if the hex sockets are long enough to go into the deep hole of the muffler mount.

It's a 6mm. I would go with a 6mm 3/8" drive socket as I recall removing mine took a bit of force. Honda really torques their bolts down.

You might be able to get away with an L shaped hex and a small cheater bar. All my hex keys are T handled so I used a socket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a 6mm. I would go with a 6mm 3/8" drive socket as I recall removing mine took a bit of force. Honda really torques their bolts down.

You might be able to get away with an L shaped hex and a small cheater bar. All my hex keys are T handled so I used a socket.
Thanks for the help! I got it off with a 6mm L shaped key. It just took some elbow grease. Once I get the new shorty muffler in I will post pictures.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the new chrome Radiant GP shorty exhaust I put on my Rebel 500.

Like Lyoko's slip on it sounds alot louder than stock but more high pitched than just running without a muffler at all.

This one is barely a muffler and you can see right through it but it makes the noise level acceptable at highway speeds and gets rid of all the popping the bike was doing while engine braking. I'm happy with it and got it for 60 bucks on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
It's so small I can't help but think "What is it good for?"
As with mine, I can also see through it, but I still have a fair bit of this "popping" when engine braking. But I kinda like it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the popping and loudness too. Let's people know hey there's a motorcycle here watch out. I have already noticed an increase in the number of people noticing me and not backing out in front of me in parking lots.

I need to get one of the paddock stands or service stands. Chain maintaining is a pain even with the cheapo harbor freight roller I have

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
I like the popping and loudness too. Let's people know hey there's a motorcycle here watch out. I have already noticed an increase in the number of people noticing me and not backing out in front of me in parking lots.

I need to get one of the paddock stands or service stands. Chain maintaining is a pain even with the cheapo harbor freight roller I have
Ironic enough, I was almost ran over on my first trip with the new exhaust, by someone trying to change lane into mine. But, it was at high speed, so I was in a high gear with low rpm, and it's actually pretty quiet then.
Other than that, people in general are turning heads to see what the heck is coming roaring!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts