Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone else has seen this issue, but I thought I'd let you know what my first issue has been and what the solution was.

Turned the key on, all the lights were working, but wouldn't start AT ALL. I also noticed I didn't hear the fuel pump. Wasn't sure what to do at first so I tried to push start it. After push starting it, I did hear the whine from the fuel pump when I came to a stop and I was able to start it. After I parked it, and cut it off, I couldn't start it again.

So at this point I assumed I had a loose connection. I started to assume it was a loose connection and long story short, turns out the kill switch wasn't making a good connection when it was set to start. I had to press it down to make sure a connection was being made. So I'm going to take it to the dealer to have it looked at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has seen this issue, but I thought I'd let you know what my first issue has been and what the solution was.

Turned the key on, all the lights were working, but wouldn't start AT ALL. I also noticed I didn't hear the fuel pump. Wasn't sure what to do at first so I tried to push start it. After push starting it, I did hear the whine from the fuel pump when I came to a stop and I was able to start it. After I parked it, and cut it off, I couldn't start it again.

So at this point I assumed I had a loose connection. I started to assume it was a loose connection and long story short, turns out the kill switch wasn't making a good connection when it was set to start. I had to press it down to make sure a connection was being made. So I'm going to take it to the dealer to have it looked at.
So, I'm having this exact same issue. Don't really want to pay to have it towed anywhere. Can anyone help guide me where to check this connection?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
So, I'm having this exact same issue. Don't really want to pay to have it towed anywhere. Can anyone help guide me where to check this connection?

Thanks in advance
Toggle the Kill Switch back & forth a few times and make sure it is the run position before trying to start the engine......

Kenny G

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kickstand up or down? (will only start in neutral when down). Is it turning over just not firing up or doing nothing? Open and close Fuel tank in case breather vent is plugged?
Kickstand down, doing nothing. Lights and gauges are on. But not even attempting to start. And tried opening and closing the fuel tank a couple times too.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Kickstand down, doing nothing. Lights and gauges are on. But not even attempting to start. And tried opening and closing the fuel tank a couple times too.
Put the kickstand up, and put it in neutral, and hold the clutch in while pushing the starter button.

If that doesn't start then it is time to look at the battery.

Good luck,

Kenny G

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Got it started. Had to press down harder on the kill switch. Was able to hear the fuel pump kick on. I think the switch is going bad.
As Twiz suggested, clean the switch. You can also probably use contact point cleaner without disassembling the Kill Switch.

I am glad that you were able to find the problem.

Have you been using the Kill Switch every time that you ride your Rebel?

Kenny G.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As Twiz suggested, clean the switch. You can also probably use contact point cleaner without disassembling the Kill Switch.

I am glad that you were able to find the problem.

Have you been using the Kill Switch every time that you ride your Rebel?

Kenny G.
Do you mean WD40 on the top part of the switch? Or take it apart and spray on the contacts inside? Sorry I'm not familiar with it, so I'm trying to understand where to clean it if this happens to me.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Do you mean WD40 on the top part of the switch? Or take it apart and spray on the contacts inside? Sorry I'm not familiar with it, so I'm trying to understand where to clean it if this happens to me.
You can try the WD40 without disassembly and see if you can get the desired results. Squirt it around and then blow out with low velocity compressed air.

Does your bike sit out in the weather? Do you use the Kill Switch every day?

Kenny G

·
Registered
814 Posts
Unless these bikes are out in the weather these switches should not be failing. You should be able to use them to turn the bike off for years. If you take the switch apart after you clean the contacts you can probably use dielectric grease on the contacts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Iv'e had an issue with my bike not starting either. The other day my bike was completely dead, no life what so ever. After about 20 minutes of taking my seat off, checking connections and all that I gave up.
I came back out the next morning and the bike started up just fine. As I was taking it for a ride I downshifted and boom, my check engine light came on and the bike died. I turned the bike to off, then turned the key back to on and it flashed for a second than nothing. I sat again for 20 minutes and it came to life again. No check engine light or anything but now my speedo won't show me the correct speed, it keeps fluctuating or showing the wrong speed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was told by the Honda dealer when buying my Rebel new, that the bike should be turned off by the key and that the kill switch should only be used in emergencies. I don't know if this is because they know the kill switch has issues or not but I have my suspicions.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts