Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with that I feel that the Rebel 500 is an incredible bike maybe even one of the best Honda has made. Two things made it difficult for me to ride. First is the position of my feet. Even with the Corbin, my legs would cramp. I know that there are some forward controls out there but moving along was a better solution. Second, and I know this sounds silly, but the location of the horn and blinker buttons drove me crazy. For the new guys it doesn’t make a difference but every bike i’ve ever ridden had the horn on the bottom. It’s dangerous to honk your blinkers in an urgent situation and I couldn’t find a solution.

I went with the Vulcan S. Similar platform to the Rebel with “forward controls”. I’m looking forward to riding the “S” with the SoCal Rebel group.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@longbeachgary and @OneNastyRebel, you guys are both dead to me.

LOL, jk. The vulcan S was actually my first choice, almost pulled the trigger on it until I sat on the rebel. To each their own, I wish you the best Gary and hope to see you around both on the forum and on our rides. Please post pics of your new baby
HaHa. I can't wait until the next ride. I saw your sister and her husband at the dealer on Saturday when I bought the bike. (Del Amo Motorsports Long Beach).

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Let me start with that I feel that the Rebel 500 is an incredible bike maybe even one of the best Honda has made. Two things made it difficult for me to ride. First is the position of my feet. Even with the Corbin, my legs would cramp. I know that there are some forward controls out there but moving along was a better solution. Second, and I know this sounds silly, but the location of the horn and blinker buttons drove me crazy. For the new guys it doesn’t make a difference but every bike i’ve ever ridden had the horn on the bottom. It’s dangerous to honk your blinkers in an urgent situation and I couldn’t find a solution.

I went with the Vulcan S. Similar platform to the Rebel with “forward controls”. I’m looking forward to riding the “S” with the SoCal Rebel group.
Congratulation on your new bike!:surprise:
Any chance you could come back and give us a comparison between the Rebel and the Vulcan in the future?
I've been contemplating the Vulcan S myself, and would really appreciate to hear from someone that has experience from them both :smile2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
@longbeachgary,

Congrats on that new ride! I was torn between the Vulcan S and the Rebel, I still really like the Vulcan S, It's on my short list as a candidate for my next bike. Enjoy!

-CG

·
Registered
190 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride Gary, but hate to see you leave us.
Do check in from time to time. We look forward to hearing about your riding experience with the Vulcan.

One of our riding buddies owns one too. He is quite happy with it.
Ride safe always.

PS.

Thank you also for pointing me the right direction when I was hunting for a fly screen. :wink2:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulation on your new bike!:surprise:
Any chance you could come back and give us a comparison between the Rebel and the Vulcan in the future?
I've been contemplating the Vulcan S myself, and would really appreciate to hear from someone that has experience from them both :smile2:
Here's what I can tell you after 3 rides. The Rebel is a GREAT bike - no doubt about it. Those who complained about plastic parts on the Rebel would be shocked at how much more plastic is on the Vulcan.

I haven't had a tach on a bike since I don't know when so this is a fun addition. The last and only time that I had a gear indicator was my 1978 Suzuki GT380 and that's another fun addition. I think that there are fewer things to modify the Vulcan with than there are for the Rebel.

The seating position on the Vulcan suits me better than the Rebel - feet more forward and not so bent under me. It's also nice that it can be adjusted. Performance wise, it's difficult to tell since I'm trying (and not very successfully) to keep the bike under 5k rpm.

As far as coming back - I'm not leaving.

·
Registered
935 Posts
congrats on the vulcan Gary. I had a feeling after our last talk you were thinking about a diff bike just like I was. though I'm sticking around (for now) gonna try one other alternative setup to see what I think.
I had a 99 vulcan 750 was a very reliable bike, just didn't think it looked "cool" enough at the time LOL

·
Registered
397 Posts

WHAT!!! did you at least save me your extra seat you said I could borrow? I'm going to have to tell Rob at SoCal Honda next time I go in! He tried to sell me the CB1000R the other day. https://powersports.honda.com/2018/cb1000r.aspx
After you get it broke in just let me know where you want to go and we'll ride.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went with the Vulcan S. Similar platform to the Rebel with “forward controls”.
I almost got a Vulcan because of the Ergo-Fit system. **** near purchased it, but decided on the Rebel. While the Rebel is good for short people (i'm 5'1"), the short configuration on the Vulcan was 150% perfect. If it wasn't for the cost difference, I'd likely be on that bad boy too.

Good luck and safe travels!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I almost got a Vulcan because of the Ergo-Fit system. **** near purchased it, but decided on the Rebel. While the Rebel is good for short people (i'm 5'1"), the short configuration on the Vulcan was 150% perfect. If it wasn't for the cost difference, I'd likely be on that bad boy too.

Good luck and safe travels!
I think I paid $7100 for the Rebel and $8000 for the Vulcan.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Guys

After having and enjoying it for a good 18 months, I am saying goodbye to my beloved 500.

I have to say this forum has given me so much idea and help that I cannot thank you guys enough. It is certainly one of the best online community I've ever been part of, wishing all the best and safest rides for every single member.

Now I am moving on as I just caught a deal for an ex demo CB1100Rs which I couldn't resist as it was my dream bike. However, I will always remember my Rebel as my first "real bike" which I have really enjoyed.

All the best and happy riding!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts