Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I live in the UK and I'm about to turn 19 ,which means I can get my A2 licence, I'm planning on getting a rebel 500 and attempting to make it look similar to an Indian scout 750 (image attached). I want to try and find aftermarket parts and not have stuff custom made to keep costs down.
But the aftermarket short fender either don't look good or will result in loads of spray off the road (living in the UK means most of my rides are in rain).
Another issue is where I would mount the plate.
Any ideas, links and pictures of your modded rebels are welcome.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Welcome.

Never understood those who gets a bike, and wants to change it to something completely different..? Modding a bike and customizing is one thing. But why not go and get a bike that is already "finished", surely there are bikes out there that has this look already? The Rebel is after all rather far from that look that you want.
You'd have to get something like this to get a slight resemblance:
Honda Rebel CMX 300 - 500 MotoZaaa Scrambler Kit Custom

·
Super Moderator
988 Posts
Welcome.

I have that spray off the road problem too.
I’d like to have some kind of slide/retractable extention fitted under the fender that saves the day when you get caught out in a downpour

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome.

Never understood those who gets a bike, and wants to change it to something completely different..? Modding a bike and customizing is one thing. But why not go and get a bike that is already "finished", surely there are bikes out there that has this look already? The Rebel is after all rather far from that look that you want.

The reason I don't go and buy a finished bike is becuase I have not seen one that I can ride on an A2 also the Indian scout cost over £50,000 Which is a little outside my price range

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome.

I have that spray off the road problem too.
I’d like to have some kind of slide/retractable extention fitted under the fender that saves the day when you get caught out in a downpour
I have seen these big mud guards you can buy which you could mount a licence plate too which also stop spray but i think they look sorta goofy

https://m.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-REBEL-CMX-300-500-2017-REAR-MUDGUARD-SPLASH-SHORT-FENDER-FAIRINGS-CUSTOM-/152705479278?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome TacticalSloth ! That's an ambitious project - good luck.
The minimum I would need is new suspension and read fender the end product will probably look like this with a different paint job. I understand i can't make the rebel look exactly the same but as close as I can get will do. I would need a custom tank and seat made to get it look very similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome.

The reason I don't go and buy a finished bike is becuase I have not seen one that I can ride on an A2 also the Indian scout cost over £50,000 Which is a little outside my price range
Also have you ever heard of fun? That's what a project is. And another reason I like the rebel is becuase I can make it a nice looking bobber while I'm waiting to start the project

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to modify the cb500f? I mean, I love me some rebel, but it is basically the same engine... and the frame does look more similar to the Indian you want to emulate IMHO. But as Lyoko said, "It's your wallet".

·
Super Moderator
988 Posts
I have seen these big mud guards you can buy which you could mount a licence plate too which also stop spray but i think they look sorta goofy

https://m.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-REBEL-CMX-300-500-2017-REAR-MUDGUARD-SPLASH-SHORT-FENDER-FAIRINGS-CUSTOM-/152705479278?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1
Yes I’ve even got one those splash guards already mounted but still doesn’t stop the rain & mud flying up your back.
Mounting the number plate to it may help a little but very minimal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The rear shock absorbers will always make the rebel look like a chopper.

You be better off getting a bike with a mono shock to start your project.

Also the rebel is fast enough but it does not feel fast. My kawasaki that is actually a little bit slower feels faster because it makes all the right racing bike noises.

I don't think you would be happy with a chopper type engine (sounds) and chopper type shock absorbers in a look-alike racing bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Also have you ever heard of fun? That's what a project is. And another reason I like the rebel is becuase I can make it a nice looking bobber while I'm waiting to start the project
That's just it!! You do you, bikes are supposed to personal and fun. This is a great platform to build off of and very cost effective. The real beauty of the rebel as I see it is, you can bounce between styles on a whim honda made this bike to work like lego. I'd love to see a tracker.

start with this and add number plates
http://www.hondarebel3forum.com/forum/665-accessories-add-ons/6578-scrambler-kit-now-available-2.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
you know i like that analogy. it might be cool if someone had a custom paint job that looked like a bunch of lego bricks put together
I have a jeep too and its the same concept, phenomenal yet simple platform wrapped in cost friendly stuff you're gonna change anyway. Honda was pumping that idea with the original release, i say do it!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts