Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped off at our local dealer today for a test on another bike. Noticed a Rebel sitting in the car park. It's about 10 weeks old, and in for its 600 mile service. Couldn't help notice the exhausts are already rusted up and so are a lot of the fastener heads. Given we haven't started salting the roads here yet, it doesn't fill me with confidence for the longevity of these wee bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Stopped off at our local dealer today for a test on another bike. Noticed a Rebel sitting in the car park. It's about 10 weeks old, and in for its 600 mile service. Couldn't help notice the exhausts are already rusted up and so are a lot of the fastener heads. Given we haven't started salting the roads here yet, it doesn't fill me with confidence for the longevity of these wee bikes.
Most of the fasteners used on the Rebel are of the lowest quality possible. The Button Head Allen Head machine screws are certainly of inferior quality. I bet they cannot sell the Rebels as made in Thailand in their own country of Japan.

Buy a Harley if you want good fasteners.

Kenny G

·
Registered
221 Posts
The paint and coatings are not so great either. There are " wear spots" in lots of places way too soon for a 5 month old bike.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not entirely surprised by this because it is a cheap bike but as long as its just light surface rust I wouldn't worry too much about it. But do keep us posted on how it progresses if it does.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought mine on 4th July 2018, it has spent at most 2 hours in the rain since I bought it.

yesterday 18 August 2018 I found rust starting to appear around the bottom fork yolk, on the frame where the frame number is stamped, I also found it around the area where the lambda sensor fits into the catalytic convertor and also where the downpipes join the catalytic convertor.

This does not appear to be an isolated issue as there are at least 4 other owners on here who have reported the same issues.

The bike has had two good coatings of GT85 since I bought it, it is kept under a waterproof cover when not in use and the cover is never put on when the bike is wet.

Now given that my bike has been on the road for six weeks and seen at the most three days of rain these rust issues are pretty bad.

I spoke to Honda UK yesterday and have raised a complaint as the bike is obviously not fit for purpose in the UK and unless these issues are fixed to my satisfaction I will be starting legal proceedings under the sale of goods act to recover the full cost of the motorcycle and any add ons I bought.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Most of the fasteners used on the Rebel are of the lowest quality possible. The Button Head Allen Head machine screws are certainly of inferior quality. I bet they cannot sell the Rebels as made in Thailand in their own country of Japan.

Kenny G

Kenny
I don’t doubt what you say about the fasteners, but strangely enough” I have zero rust on my Rebel other than the exhaust paint discolouring from burn off & I’ve had mine since May last year. It’s seen some rain too but generally don’t ride in it.

On the flip side, It’s so humid here that all my tools had rusted up all within the first year I came to live here, both hand and electric.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With respect, just look at the state of the plastic radiator cover. This bike has hardly been fastidiously cleaned, more likely it has been 'used'.

Now I've never bought into the 'Honda quality' mantra, far from it, but I'm prepared to cut them some slack here. If you use your bike and want a showroom shine, you've got to put in the hard, repetitive work. You cannot leave things to chance.

I admit that I've not put loads of miles on my Rebel since purchase late last September, but the dreadful weather during the winter here, meant that it stayed in the shed well into April. Nevertheless, it now has well over 2000 miles on it and I'm pleased to suggest that it looks better than when it left the showroom. Yes, I've adopted a strict cleaning and protection regime. It's the only way to have a fighting chance of keeping things at their best.

With regard to 'legal proceedings'... good luck with that!!! :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
1,163 Posts

Kenny G
Kenny, My experience is opposite of this. My Thai built car, while being the least expensive make/model of it's time impresses me with the quality of manufacture although made from presumably cheap parts. My one experience with a brand new Harley, on the other hand, revealed deficiencies throughout the manufacturing, delivery, and setup processes. It was a total piece of crap that I was happy to get rid of 12 months later without losing my entire investment.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Kenny, My experience is opposite of this. My Thai built car, while being the least expensive make/model of it's time impresses me with the quality of manufacture although made from presumably cheap parts. My one experience with a brand new Harley, on the other hand, revealed deficiencies throughout the manufacturing, delivery, and setup processes. It was a total piece of crap that I was happy to get rid of 12 months later without losing my entire investment.
I din't say that a Harley was without it's problems, but they did use quality American Made Fasteners on all of the Harleys that I have owned.

I did stick an engine on a brand new Sportster and they did replace the entire engine including using the same serial number on the new engine. This Sportster was purchased through a world class Harley dealer, Lancaster Harley Davidson in Willow Street PA.

I am disappointed with the low quality fasteners on my Rebel. One broke off when attempting to remove it and it had to be drilled out. I ruined the heads on 2 other fasteners. When ever I disassemble anything I head to the local fastener wholesaler for replacement bolts and nuts.

The Rebel in general is probably one of the better bikes that I have owned.

Kenny G

·
Registered
9 Posts
Odd how some people are seeing this and some aren't. I live in southwest Florida which is probably the epitome of wet, hot, and humid conditions, but I've yet to see any rust and it's sat in many storms outside while parked at work while owning it for over a year now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I agree with a strict cleaning regime. When I look at the pictures posted it makes me think it was sadly neglected to get like that. Intentional or not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Rebel 300 about 10 days ago. It has about 105 miles on it. During my very first fill up, I noticed what looks like corrosion /pitting on the rim of the filler neck where the gas cap seats. This was a bit of a disturbing surprise on a brand new bike. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Odd how some people are seeing this and some aren't. I live in southwest Florida which is probably the epitome of wet, hot, and humid conditions, but I've yet to see any rust and it's sat in many storms outside while parked at work while owning it for over a year now.

Same here. I thought for sure this Florida humidity would be a problem but so far it hasn't been. I keep my bike in the garage, so that helps. When I get caught in the rain, I make a point to dry the bike off as soon as I get home. I wash it once a week, and wax the fuel tank & fender once a month. I was using rags to dry it at first, but I found the leaf blower works a lot better at getting the water out of all the little crevices and such.

-CG

·
Registered
132 Posts
No rust anywhere, but some parts very cheap builded

I have the rebel from april 18.
At home, it´s in a garage but on my working place, it´s outside on a parking lot. The bike had endured only two times of heavier rain. So, there is no rust during this times. I clean it very often, but not with heavy cleaning substances, only with water and a microfibre rag. Maybe soon I have to wax the tank, because there are some small scratches from the zippers of my gear.
But I think rust builds fast on motorcycles. I had my old rebel 450 during winter also in the garage and when I de-wintered it after 4 months, there was slight rust on some chromed parts, althaught it was in the garage.

Another matter are some cheap parts on the rebel. I think they wear out fast. Especially the handlebar grips, footpegs, maybe the plastic front-fender, some plastic lids on the frame, the coolers plastic outer frame, the chainguard and the turnlights rubber mountings.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Aye, recently noticed rust traces on upper mount of rear shock absorbers and today was investigate what's up there. Not very happy what I did see. Upper eyelet almost seized up to chasis mounting point, needed big blade screwdriver to break them free. Then some sanding and greasing was involved and hopefully this will last at least a year:frown2:. But lower posts were like new... (sorry no after pics) And bike sits under balcony at home, we have had some rainy rides, but... Yammy Virago is from 1999, but all mounting hardvare is still rust free, under same exploatation condition, me not very happy:crying:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts