Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These two bikes are much closer in performance than people realize.
Power to weight ratio for the Iron 1200 is 0.1025 vs 0.1010 for the Rebel 500.
The power to weight ratio of these bikes where calculated by using wet weight without a rider.
On paper the Rebel wins in my opinion when you consider price, weight, insurgence cost and fuel consumption .

So which one is actually better?

If we could find a way to add only 4 horsepower we would actually be faster than the 1200 irons

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
In theory the Rebel 500 should do the 1/4 mile in 14.2 seconds with a full tank of gas and a 175lb rider.
A Rebel with only 1 gallon of gas and a 155lb rider should do 13.8.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You bought bikes for their torque but bought a rebel?
? No, no, I bought an MT-07 for its torque; and a TDM 900 before that. I bought a Rebel 500 because it sort of has some torque, and quite low down in the the revs. And it is a sort of cruiser. I am happy with that too. So where's the calculation?

·
Registered
814 Posts
? No, no, I bought an MT-07 for its torque; and a TDM 900 before that. I bought a Rebel 500 because it sort of has some torque, and quite low down in the the revs. And it is a sort of cruiser. I am happy with that too. So where's the calculation?
It isn't even close the iron 1200 has 73 torque compared to 30 on the rebel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had 5 Harleys, 4 were sportsters. I have owned 1 old rigid and 3 newer Sportys... out of the 3 newer rubber mounted FI sportys I had... 2 were 883s and 1 was a 1200... I feel they would all win in a drag race over my Rebel 500 but not in a canyon or anywhere else you had to turn. Sportys carry their weight high, they feel top heavy and the 5 speed transmission wasn't fun at 75+mph either.

As for the buy in price, insurance, cheap mods, fuel, etc the Rebel wins for me.

As for the torque conversation, I had an FZ09 for a couple years, great torque on that motor! For an all around bike and great cruiser I love my Rebel 500.

Ride safe y'all!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The Rebel 500 is faster than a stock sportster 883 that is a fact. Truthfully the Rebel is right in the middle between the 883 and 1200.
Watch the Rebel 500 vs Vulcan S video you might just be surprised.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeh, maybe it is. I haven't run mine at a track. In the end if I still wanted a fast bike I would have kept my ZX10, CBR1000RR or ZX14.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts