Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

First post - I'm looking to buy a nice beginner urban cruiser, and I'm strongly considering the Rebel 500 ABS for purchase soon to take advantage of winter promotions. Since I live in Montreal, a test ride would be impossible this time of year.

In my research, one common complaint was the vibration of the bike at "legal highway speeds", which then disappears again at higher speed.

Would I be correct in thinking that this is an issue with aerodynamics? Has anyone attempted/found a solution (windshield, fairing addition - perhaps in front of that wide radiator)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yep that would be incorrect. The reason has nothing to do with aerodynamics. There happens to just be one part of the rpm range where the engine causes more vibration. Has nothing to do with windshield. You can remove most of the vibration you feel by replacing with thicker gauge handlebars.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I am a bit puzzled each time I see someone complain about the so called vibrations coming from the bike.
I dunno if ya'll are just hyper sensitive to every bit of vibration, or what the heck even, because I for one have not experienced any issue with it... If I really felt after and payed attention to it, then sure, I might even feel some myself. But never have I've been riding and been thinking "man this bike vibrates a lot" Never. Not once. I just can't quite grasp where this all is coming from..
Are people constantly mixing up experience between the 300 and 500? Because on the 300 I would understand it. But not on the 500.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Maybe my small hands are more sensible than yours. I tried to put on ***** grips but it makes the grips too big for my hands so that I have to really stretch to reach the brake/clutch lever. I had to take them off again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the 500 and I haven't experienced any discomfort from vibrations on the highway. I will say that I would've like the gearing to be a little different to bring the rpm's down a little, but I think I might replace the front sprocket to do that.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I commonly ride at highway speed for a couple of hours at a time and I don't feel any vibration from my Rebel 500.

I test rode a rebel 300 and I din't notice the typical vibration you would expect from a single cylinder motorcycle.

Kenny G

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm surprised at some of the comments complaining about vibration.

I ride my 500 at low and high speeds and haven't had any problem with vibration or tingling in my hands. And while I haven't ridden a 300 (we don't get them in Oz), I would expect the same level of smooth operation due to the primary balancer fitted to the 300 engine.

Maybe riding style could explain some comments. I don't "grip" the bars, but sort of hold on to them without squeezing tight and I don't have sore hands or suffer from vibration.

I do understand that there may be "vibration points" in the rev range of these engines due to harmonic frequencies, but increasing or lowering RPM or changing gear should avoid this.

If you want to know what vibration is, try riding a 74 Yamaha SR500 (the one with a 500cc single and no starter motor).

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Maybe riding style could explain some comments. I don't "grip" the bars, but sort of hold on to them without squeezing tight and I don't have sore hands or suffer from vibration
Yeah this is what I believe as well, it's the same riding style I have.
Too many believe that you're actually supposed to hold onto the handlebars for dear life, when in fact, it's quite the opposite. Even when emergency braking you're not suppose to hold onto the handlebar, or push against them with your body weight.
I can't stress it enough, too many are riding without proper knowledge on how to actually ride a bike. A day spent at a parking lot ain't gonna teach you everything you need to know.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I am a bit puzzled each time I see someone complain about the so called vibrations coming from the bike.
I dunno if ya'll are just hyper sensitive to every bit of vibration, or what the heck even, because I for one have not experienced any issue with it... If I really felt after and payed attention to it, then sure, I might even feel some myself. But never have I've been riding and been thinking "man this bike vibrates a lot" Never. Not once. I just can't quite grasp where this all is coming from..
Are people constantly mixing up experience between the 300 and 500? Because on the 300 I would understand it. But not on the 500.
It could be a speed limit thing. What is the speed limit where you ride? The bike does have like one spot where it happens to vibrate more and it is possible the people who are noticing it more are those who are in areas where the speed limit happens to be the same spot that the bike happens to vibrate at.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
It could be a speed limit thing. What is the speed limit where you ride? The bike does have like one spot where it happens to vibrate more and it is possible the people who are noticing it more are those who are in areas where the speed limit happens to be the same spot that the bike happens to vibrate at.
Perhaps, maybe.
Normal highway speed limit here is 50/55 mph, but people tend to go more 65/70 mph.
I for one tend to be a little bit all over the line :p And then again, our highways with the highest speed limit doesn't stretch on for miles with no end.
But even so, people make it sound like it's an issue that is present the whole time while riding.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can confirm annoying vibration on high revs. So annoying that you couldn’t see throw mirrors.

Recently I rent Honda cb500x which has exactly the same engine. And that bike doesn’t have that problem at all.

It’s not an issue in dynamic city ride, but if you go somewhere far on a highway, you need to keep revs hight and get use to vibrations.

I personally prefer going on small country roads, so my average speed is 40-50 mph. I would say it’s a comfortable cruising speed of Honda Rebel 500.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I can confirm annoying vibration on high revs. So annoying that you couldn’t see throw mirrors.

Recently I rent Honda cb500x which has exactly the same engine. And that bike doesn’t have that problem at all.

It’s not an issue in dynamic city ride, but if you go somewhere far on a highway, you need to keep revs hight and get use to vibrations.

I personally prefer going on small country roads, so my average speed is 40-50 mph. I would say it’s a comfortable cruising speed of Honda Rebel 500.
My 500 Rebel does not have any over objectionable vibration at Interstate Highway Speed that here in Texas are as high as 75 MPH....

I do check my tire inflation every time that I ride.

Kenny G

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Don't you think it's because you've modified it? My Rebel is pretty much stock.
The only real modification that I have made is the Musarri slip on. The seat has been elevated 3 inches so i am sure the additional foam would minimize the amount of vibration getting through to my butt. In warmer weather I use a National Fly Screen and cold weather I have a Memphis Shades wind screen. The wind screen does add some buffeting depending which way the wind is blowing.

My experience has been in past years that a lot of vibration is noticeable with loose pegs, motor mounts that are not properly torqued and handlebars that may not be attached properly.

The first place I look is the tires for alignment, proper inflation and uneven wear.

Kenny

1 - 15 of 15 Posts