Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 6 weeks old rebel 500, with 1600km, after a 1000km run in and service done at the dealership as per manual.

In the past week or so, I noticed ticks coming from the engine area in mid to high RPM, when driving.

These ticks are not audible when revving the engine in neutral, and increase or decrease in rhythm in sync with engine RPM, when the bike is moving.

I did ask a mechanic I trust and he said he didn't hear anything out of the ordinary, but I do wonder if this is normal or not.

Since this is my first bike, I have no basis for comparison.

Hopefully someone here can shed some light.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
If it is something mechanical with the engine then my bet would have to be the gearbox, since the sound isn't present when just reving the engine.
Could you give a description of the ticks? What do they sound like, metal on metal? Or softer? How fast does it tick? Is there a pattern/rhythm to the ticks? Does it ever change any pattern/rhythm? Is it consistent regardless of wich gear you are in?
Be as spesific as you can, the more details the better.

·
Registered
712 Posts
He did say they increase/decrease with the RPMs.

I'd guess it's likely just the sound of a smaller engine, compared to the majority of crotch rockets and big cruisers out on the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ticks sound like soft metal on metal - the closest i can compare it to is the sound of a playing card, flicking on bicycle wheel spokes.

The ticks increase or decrease in rhythm as I drive, regardless of the gear I'm in and completely disappear if I press the clutch or am standing in neutral. So for example, I'm driving in 3rd, approaching a traffic light, pressing the clutch as i slow the bike down - As long as the clutch is not engaged, the ticks are audible and increase / decrease in speed as the engine revs up / down. When i press the clutch and let go of the throttle, the ticks disappear. When I start driving again, they appear, increasing in speed as i rev up. Since it's hard hearing them due to wind noise over a certain speed, I cannot say for sure if they persist in higher speeds / RPM.

Their rhythm does appear to be correlated to that of the engine, rather than wheels. They are always consistent in loudness.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I should take the bike to the dealership for a quick check and how urgent is the problem if it is indeed a problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Better safe than sorry I'd say. Little strange that your buddy says nothing is wrong thou. But if your gut feeling says something is wrong then better to have the dealer check it out. That way you'll be able to sleep better at night :p

·
Registered
712 Posts
The repair (if necessary) shouldn't cost anything, but if they don't find anything wrong, they may charge you for the visit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
It seems the "clicking sounds" you hear happens when your engine is under load between mid to high RPMs when riding. Have you considered that it may be engine "pinging" maybe because of the quality of the gasoline or inducing too much load (try shifting to the next lower gear)?

Try using higher octane fuel and/or shifting down a gear and see if your issue is still there.

Just a suggestion as I occasionally ride our Rebel hard, but never encountered the pinging sounds you describe.

Good luck.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems the "clicking sounds" you hear happens when your engine is under load between mid to high RPMs when riding. Have you considered that it may be engine "pinging" maybe because of the quality of the gasoline or inducing too much load (try shifting to the next lower gear)?

Try using higher octane fuel and/or shifting down a gear and see if your issue is still there.

Just a suggestion as I occasionally ride our Rebel hard, but never encountered the pinging sounds you describe.

Good luck.
I don't think it's a load issue - the clicking is audible even under relaxed riding style with fast gear shifts and lower RPM. As for gasoline quality, we only have 95 octane as an option, so it's a no go.

I'll visit the dealership today and have them take a look

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update. Dealership checked the bike and confirmed all is good. The ticking is most probably (my educated guess) part of the engine's natural sound, which I have to get used to

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Quick update. Dealership checked the bike and confirmed all is good. The ticking is most probably (my educated guess) part of the engine's natural sound, which I have to get used to
If you're ever able to, try and get some audio recorded of it. Getting quite curious to as what sound you're hearing..
Because I've can't say I've ever heard such a noise from a bike before.

But at least now the dealership has had a personal look on it, and if they say it's normal and everything is fine then ok.
So if the bike somehow should blow up now, you should stand pretty solid about the dealer making a mistake here :grin2:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're ever able to, try and get some audio recorded of it. Getting quite curious to as what sound you're hearing..
Because I've can't say I've ever heard such a noise from a bike before.

But at least now the dealership has had a personal look on it, and if they say it's normal and everything is fine then ok.
So if the bike somehow should blow up now, you should stand pretty solid about the dealer making a mistake here :grin2:
Already thought about trying to record it somehow and posting the audio. I'll see if I can reproduce this when the bike is not moving and make a decent recording.

The ticks don't sound as if something is horribly broken with the engine, it might be a sound related to valve operation / rockers / timing chain - I don't have enough mechanical knowledge to guess, but my very limited logic is drawn to that direction.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Glad I ran into this thread. My 300 has the same ticks you're describing. Drives great, but ticks at mid/high RPM.

Glad to hear it's just the nature of the smaller engines. Then again, I'm running the lowest octane available 87. I'll try premium (92/93) next fill up and see if that helps

·
Registered
33 Posts

My 500 has the "ticking" as well, I run nothing but 94 octane in it, chain tension is good. I would agree its the engine's natural sound but I'll be following along here just in case...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Induction noise will sound a bit like the flicking of cards, and will be much more prominent when riding rather than revving while stationary. Will also go up with the revs. If it's that then it's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Cuthbert - that's very reassuring. Did a bit of reading, and found a comment on a Honda forum that claims Honda engines have "noisy" valve trains. I'm guessing the mix of both noises is what we're probably hearing.

Also, being a bit of a worrier, I wanted (but haven't had the time) to test this with a different helmet. Something made me suspect that different muffling on the ears from the helmet lining will make this noise more / less prominent...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts