Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I rode last summer 2000km without having any frame sliders , but i'm thinking of installing some for this season. Now, i don't intend to drop the bike, but they're good to have. I don't know, i have a strange feeling, last summer I've ridden in shorts and a tshirt, this season i got me real jackets and pants with protection and boots&gloves.

The main reason i didn't added one last year is because some of them are huge. Like metal bars around there in front.

Now that you guys have seen many of them or even installed on yours, in your opinion, which one is the most discrete one while still keeping in style with the motorcycle? Either engine guard frames or those frame sliders pins.

Are these any good? Anybody bought this model? Price varies from 60 to 100 on ebay.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Frame Slider Pin's ( long steel rod's with caps ) would be great,but I haven't seen any after-market, same for on the front and rear axle,

I don't care about the engine, I just hate to have my leg/ankle crushed when the bike goes down.

I agree these HUGE monkey cages look terrible, and they're not strong, they're just light pipes that wrap the engine, not sure what they would accomplish? They're cheap at $100

I would prefer to find a rock solid ( +1" round ) steel tube that sticks out both sides as wide as the lower foot peg, usually they pass though the lower motor-mount, and for the front they kit just replaces the front axle. The rear you get a lift-kit for fast-jack that includes the sliders,

Why nobody is selling this KIT for the Rebel boggles my mind, I guess it can only be that the MARKET is near zero for sales potential,

Probably going to have to make my own, or get another set for a similar bike and rethread/weld and ot what it takes, but I see no point of the MONKEY-CAGE around the engine.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What i've seen so far.

Two slim around the radiator models
1. Hepco and Becker - 145$ .. Or this one from another seller
2. |The CF103 - about same prince
Both these two are similar in size and price, mostly same look, they are very close to the bike. As @rebel401 said above, these are starting to make me think of how sturdy they really are or what they protect. Plus, there is no ankle protection, true that, seem to be fitten to the aluminum screws on the frame.

The Zeed look, a top bottom bar behind the radiator
1. This GIVI at 86
2. The similarly looking ZEED one above in @Isaan's post.

These models are bigger, appear sturdier as they are mounted to that pipe behind the radiator, go more on the outside which may mean some ankle protection...maybe.

The Frame Sliders
1. RZM at 60
2. Moritech at 100
These things should be both in front and on the back? They look to be suited better for sports bikes.

Now i don't know what to get :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see now, thanks. I guess the thai local one is as good as the branded one.

I really like the idea for the back, "The rear you get a lift-kit for fast-jack that includes the sliders,".

I assume these ones would connect to be big screw at the back wheel. Looked a bit on ebay for these for other bikes, I would assume is all about the size of that screw/nut, but couldn't find.

For who doesnt have the stock exhaust, this is a great ideea i believe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up buying the one from Zeed, not as low profile as Hepco but that point below saying about whether or not it would provide some ankle protection made me choose one which goes about as out as the foot peg.

I hope it wont interfere with forward controls.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the Zeed today, I will install on Thu together with forward controls.

I got them out of the package. To be honest, i feel disappointed looking at them. These things are 200$, out of which towards 80$ is the air shipping Zeeds sends with. I would have bought cheaper shipping, but not available. Being in the EU it stopped at customs, I had to pay 19% more VAT, close to 40$, so basically I paid them twice. It doesn't feel to be worth it for what they are.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Compatibilities -- or lack of

Hi,

So that you know the easy way:
- if you have the DeprettoMoto controls like I have, the Zeed or H2C crash bars don't fit. They get to less than 1 inch from the brake or the gear shifter. In case of panic, you might push the bar instead of the brake, if you wear boots it will we in the way of downshifting;
- if you have the Denali Sound bomb with the dedicated Rebel support to attach it on the left side of the bike, then you cannot fit the Hepco crash bars, the horn is in the way.

Great. Just great!

·
Registered
22 Posts
After much research and thought, I didn't put engine bars on my BMW F700GS, and I wont be putting them on my new Rebel either. Purely as if you end up sliding the bike, instead of just scuffs and a few damaged sacrafical parts, the "protection" bars can easily twist the frame during a slide and/or rip holes in the engine due to the force on the mounting points.
Protection bars are good for drive way drops, but that is it. If you are at a standside and drop the bike, the best thing you can do is not panic, but gently lay the bike on the ground rather than fighting to right it. Generaly if you lay it down as slow as you can, you'll get away with a small scuff and that's it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
After much research and thought, I didn't put engine bars on my BMW F700GS, and I wont be putting them on my new Rebel either. Purely as if you end up sliding the bike, instead of just scuffs and a few damaged sacrafical parts, the "protection" bars can easily twist the frame during a slide and/or rip holes in the engine due to the force on the mounting points.
Protection bars are good for drive way drops, but that is it. If you are at a standside and drop the bike, the best thing you can do is not panic, but gently lay the bike on the ground rather than fighting to right it. Generaly if you lay it down as slow as you can, you'll get away with a small scuff and that's it.

I tend to agree...they are the intermediate step between training wheels and becoming fully competent in handling a bike.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I tend to agree...they are the intermediate step between training wheels and becoming fully competent in handling a bike.
Yep, My thoughts exactly.
I'm on the fence about this. I don't expect my guards to save my bike in a high speed impact. If a crash happens at higher speed then it is what it is. Even when it comes to rider competence, drops can happen to anyone... competent or not, and sometimes regardless of how careful you are. I think competent riders are far less likely to crash at highers speeds, I'd much rather risk more damage in that scenario due to the bars at that point than have a few scuffs due to a drop. My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts