Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a similar problem. The bike just randomly shakes between 20 and 60mph. It also shakes between the wheels in a lean. A little disconcerting to say the least.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hello there has anyone resolved this issue i have a 2019 with same problem.
Thanks..
I'm pretty confident it's a tire (tyre) issue. I had a very slight shimmy if I let go of the bars on the stock Dunlops (not enough to be concerned about though) , as soon as I put a new set of tires on it was smooth as glass and if I let go at highway speeds it was steady as could be. Whether it was the tires themselves or just poorly balanced i'm not sure but it definitely was corrected with new ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there managed to get it booked in to be assessed next week.but I agree the big tyre probably is the reason thanks for reply will update as soon as its checked over..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, new Rebel owner here still in the first week. I love the look of the bike and the performance in general is great. The handling however is a bit of a worry, the Dunlop tyres seem to really struggle in cold weather with all sorts of squirelly weaving on anything less than perfect roads. I have just got back from a 50km ride in 10 deg C temps at highway speeds, between 80 - 110 kmh the tyres are still dead cold. I had similar handling on my previous Virago and I replaced the rock hard Shinko tyres with Metzlers, it was like a new bike. Has anyone tried softer compound tyres or different brands out there? Particularly in cold climates?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi, new Rebel owner here still in the first week. I love the look of the bike and the performance in general is great. The handling however is a bit of a worry, the Dunlop tyres seem to really struggle in cold weather with all sorts of squirelly weaving on anything less than perfect roads. I have just got back from a 50km ride in 10 deg C temps at highway speeds, between 80 - 110 kmh the tyres are still dead cold. I had similar handling on my previous Virago and I replaced the rock hard Shinko tyres with Metzlers, it was like a new bike. Has anyone tried softer compound tyres or different brands out there? Particularly in cold climates?
Check your tire pressure. I have no issues with mine. Road here in SoCal is Not smooth either .

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I replaced the stock dunlops with Metezler cruise-tec tires and the difference was staggering. awesome ride now, no more squirrely feel, especially when taking turns.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I replaced the stock dunlops with Metezler cruise-tec tires and the difference was staggering. awesome ride now, no more squirrely feel, especially when taking turns.
I've just been to my local tyre shop and described what it's doing, he just smiled and grabbed the Metzler book a matching set of ME888 are in stock and soon to be on my bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check your tire pressure. I have no issues with mine. Road here in SoCal is Not smooth either .
I think it's air and road temperature that causes the issues, very cool here in Australia at present. Night temps when I ride are around 10 C air with the road surface even colder. My pressures are 29 psi as on the placard, the tyres just never warm up and conform to the road, it bounces, twitches, the rear feels like it wants to pass the front on straight roads at times!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drove a very long ways to buy the bike, and don't really trust the dealer at that. But, no, I have not found a fix.

EVERY time I take my hands off the bars, it starts, and keeps increasing... I really need to mount up my helmet cam to document this - I will, just been busy.

It sucks, and my head-bearings are good, the tire pressures are good, the rear tire seems straight enough, so I dunno. I still love riding it, but my other bikes can ride no-hands all day. I set the cruise on the Indian and can just steer with my knees for hours. The Rebel starts shaking almost immediately, every time.

I guess you're right though. I guess I better plan on having some kids who work at a dealer look at it, since it's under warranty, but I just don't trust other people touching my bikes. It rides great as long as I hold on!
I have a 2017 and it does the same exact wobble. Does great if I keep my hand on the bar. I even put a new front tire on and it seemed to be better for a bit but it's back to the same now. Just rode double with gear on a 3000 mile journey. Very impressed with the bike other than the no hand death wobble.👍

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
59 Posts
hmm, not sure I agree. I've owned dozens of motorcycles over the years and out of all this is one of the ones that would benefit the least from a damper. If your experiencing significant head-shake there is likely an underlying cause outside of the design of the bike; i.e tire pressure or suspension.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts