Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice to be back on this forum after a long break. Just thought I'd clarify something for all who might be considering a 300. Although I now think the 500 would be a much better forever bike, the 300 handles really well on the highway. I do 115-120km/h on Canadian highways now in my commute to work/school and the bike handles really well. There is also some juice left to pass.

Negatives: seat is really uncomfortable, vibrations are pretty high wind direction and force affect riding somewhat.

As a whole, the 300 on the highway is perfectly suitable.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You don't "do" 115 120...

You mean you HEARD that a friend of yours has done that...lol, never admit to breaking the speed limit.

I agree, I think the 300 is a capable machine. I thought for a while I want to upgrade to the 500, but I'm glad I gave it a shot and stuck to the 300. Once you get a feel for it and learn it's peak points, it's awesome and plenty to get by for my needs. I'm not racing anyone, nor do I care to.

There are plenty of seat options to choose from that offer more comfort. There's been lots of threads on that on this forum. You'll have to live with the vibration, it's just the way it is. As for the wind, I find putting a knee out to counter drag really helps keep it in a straight line.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have 300. It's a great small bike,for riding around town, the county roads and an occasional ride on the freeway when needed. No regrets not getting a 500.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice to be back on this forum after a long break. Just thought I'd clarify something for all who might be considering a 300. Although I now think the 500 would be a much better forever bike, the 300 handles really well on the highway. I do 115-120km/h on Canadian highways now in my commute to work/school and the bike handles really well. There is also some juice left to pass.

Negatives: seat is really uncomfortable, vibrations are pretty high wind direction and force affect riding somewhat.

I'm going to attempt to take it on the highway out here in Toronto next weekend. Wish me luck lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
You don't "do" 115 120...

You mean you HEARD that a friend of yours has done that...lol, never admit to breaking the speed limit.

I agree, I think the 300 is a capable machine. I thought for a while I want to upgrade to the 500, but I'm glad I gave it a shot and stuck to the 300. Once you get a feel for it and learn it's peak points, it's awesome and plenty to get by for my needs. I'm not racing anyone, nor do I care to.

There are plenty of seat options to choose from that offer more comfort. There's been lots of threads on that on this forum. You'll have to live with the vibration, it's just the way it is. As for the wind, I find putting a knee out to counter drag really helps keep it in a straight line.
Lol thats like 65 to 70 miles per hour

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts

I just bought a 300 and am getting it delivered next week. The sales guy told me not to expect more than 105km/h out of it, which to me was fine as I am a true inexperienced rider with only a course under my belt. I'm a 190lbs 6'1" guy, are you saying I could actually pull off a true 115km/h with this little guy and be comfortable on the highway one day? That's nice to hear.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
17 Posts
I just bought a 300 and am getting it delivered next week. The sales guy told me not to expect more than 105km/h out of it, which to me was fine as I am a true inexperienced rider with only a course under my belt. I'm a 190lbs 6'1" guy, are you saying I could actually pull off a true 115km/h with this little guy and be comfortable on the highway one day? That's nice to hear.
I have a 500 and it seems to struggle on the fwy. Anything above 80 doesn't feel great. I honestly feel it buzzing and if I hit a bump I feel like I'll be jolted from the bike. It handles well on the street but I don't like it on the highway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Weight doesn’t really affect top speed, acceleration will take a good hit but not top speed. However, height and WIDTH will increase wind resistance and lower your top speed. I’m 6’0 230-240 depending on the day and with a full tuck and a lot of flat/smooth freeway have gotten up to 85mph without wind assist. But that 80-85 takes about 3 minutes lol. I usually use 5th to get up to speed and then shift into 6th. 5th pulls so much harder up to speed and I’m pretty sure 6th is an overdrive.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The wife and i just took our first interstate ride and she got her 300 up to 83 mph about 133 kilometers and I got the 500 up to 90 mph about 144 kilometers. We both let up but I am sure she was near her top speed. The ol girls took it well.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts