Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am new here, and I hope posting this isn't intrusive or anything. Let me know if I am doing something wrong. Thanks.

I am trying to acquire the [Passenger Seat and Footpeg] combo and I am having a devil of a time finding an OEM carrier that actually has this in stock. Am I looking at all the wrong places or something? Can anyone refer me to a place that would have this? [MAIN QUESTION]

[Some Thoughts / Please ignore below if you don't have time]
Also in digging, I have seen many variants of this seat/footpeg product that is made by other manufacturers. I have noticed the underneath with the bumpers and the steel frames that tie into the top fender bolts are all somewhat different. Some have larger diameter bumpers, which seems appealing from a load distribution perspective, but they are not based on the 'official' Honda accessory. In any case, the seat is clamped fore and aft on the fender top bolts 'only'. Structurally, this doesn't seem like a robust way to react all the possible loads that a BIG person in the back might apply from moving his/her prodigious butt around, especially side to side. I guess the sideways span of the bumpers are supposed to support that. Just thinking this is a kinda cheesy way to react the load. And also, any free play between the bumper and the fender surface is going to try and bend the (head of the) bolt, which is not the mode you want to exert on the bolt. But okay... let's say the bumpers work. Has anyone seen any scuffing of the rubber bumper on the nice surface finish of the fender, when the seat is taken out (say, to switch it out for a rack or something like zat). People seem to 'use' the fender as a structural load carrier many times. I took a peek under the fender and really didn't see a good longitudinal stiffness against bending. Put a 160 to over 200 lb person and the 'effective' concentrated load at the centroid of all the bumpers, impinging on a flanged sheet metal doesn't seem like a good idea. Maybe I am overthinking this from my 30 year aerospace structural analysis experience, but it just doesn't seem right. Ignoring structures then, back to Scuffing... I'm willing to bet the fender's likely to see some rub-off owing to general vibrations (no passenger) or momentary severe loads (with passenger aboard). IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO PUT SOME SACRIFICIAL Paint Protection Stickers just under the footprints of those bumpers.

Anyway, Thanks in advance for all your valuable replies and advices.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I had a 97 Honda Magna with a buddy seat. It had rubber pads. I removed it as I never ride double. I tried but never got the rubbing marks from the buddy seat totally to disappear. Chances are you won't either. I think once on it is probably best to leave it on.

Honda's OEM passenger seat for the 1100 is a joke in my opinion. Way to small and poorly padded. The only decent passenger seat I have seen is the Corbin seat that has a nice area for a passenger. Add a custom sissy bar (read the posts about it) with a pad or/or rack and you are done with the back end and will have a happy passenger.

Reactions: Roadmaster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the knowledge feed. Yup, just as I suspected just from my mental thought on the potential install. Now believable and confirmed. If I think a bit further, the passenger seat should be of incidental use. I'd bet the rear end would likely be more used as a carrier of items than a person, again in my thought experiment. I'm thinking of building a system of quick-latch system that allows me to quickly pop in a seat if needed, but remove just as easily to swap in a rack for that quick to-go pickup run for the family to a fastfood restaurant.
Wonder if there's a good mini seat I could acquire and mod it around the modular attachment 'system' I plan to build.

Anyhoo,, thank you for the quick reply Bill.

·
Premium Member
2021 Rebel 1100 DCT
80 Posts
Hi. I am new here, and I hope posting this isn't intrusive or anything. Let me know if I am doing something wrong. Thanks.

I am trying to acquire the [Passenger Seat and Footpeg] combo and I am having a devil of a time finding an OEM carrier that actually has this in stock. Am I looking at all the wrong places or something? Can anyone refer me to a place that would have this? [MAIN QUESTION]

[Some Thoughts / Please ignore below if you don't have time]
Also in digging, I have seen many variants of this seat/footpeg product that is made by other manufacturers. I have noticed the underneath with the bumpers and the steel frames that tie into the top fender bolts are all somewhat different. Some have larger diameter bumpers, which seems appealing from a load distribution perspective, but they are not based on the 'official' Honda accessory. In any case, the seat is clamped fore and aft on the fender top bolts 'only'. Structurally, this doesn't seem like a robust way to react all the possible loads that a BIG person in the back might apply from moving his/her prodigious butt around, especially side to side. I guess the sideways span of the bumpers are supposed to support that. Just thinking this is a kinda cheesy way to react the load. And also, any free play between the bumper and the fender surface is going to try and bend the (head of the) bolt, which is not the mode you want to exert on the bolt. But okay... let's say the bumpers work. Has anyone seen any scuffing of the rubber bumper on the nice surface finish of the fender, when the seat is taken out (say, to switch it out for a rack or something like zat). People seem to 'use' the fender as a structural load carrier many times. I took a peek under the fender and really didn't see a good longitudinal stiffness against bending. Put a 160 to over 200 lb person and the 'effective' concentrated load at the centroid of all the bumpers, impinging on a flanged sheet metal doesn't seem like a good idea. Maybe I am overthinking this from my 30 year aerospace structural analysis experience, but it just doesn't seem right. Ignoring structures then, back to Scuffing... I'm willing to bet the fender's likely to see some rub-off owing to general vibrations (no passenger) or momentary severe loads (with passenger aboard). IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO PUT SOME SACRIFICIAL Paint Protection Stickers just under the footprints of those bumpers.

Anyway, Thanks in advance for all your valuable replies and advices.
Short answer is I have not been able to find one anywhere yet. The brown one (with pegs) APPEARS to be available on the Honda Accessory Page but when I ordered it, it was backordered. At least I'm in line. Since I have a Corbin seat on order, all I really need are the pegs, but they do not appear to be sold separately, at least in the USA. BTW, I ordered the black one from the dealer in August and it's still on backorder. If I get that first, I'll cancel the one on the accessory page. If the one on the accessory page ships first, I'm not sure if I'll be able to cancel the dealer one, so I may end up with an extra.

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 1100 DCT
53 Posts
Honda's OEM passenger seat for the 1100 is a joke in my opinion. Way to small and poorly padded.
True, but I want one because it has a massively greater weight rating than the miniscule 3lbs of the solo carrier option, so it'll support a cargo box better.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
The passenger seat: Yep, they are pitiful. But that's what you get when you buy a cruiser styled bike. They are all like that unless you buy an add-on. The style of the cruiser is a stripped down bike mainly used for one person. But if you want to take your better half for a short ride on occasion, there is a small pad that you can add on. But she won't like it much. I'm not sure why there isn't an enterprising company that will make a better pad that covers the fender and bolts to the frame as well as the usual fender holes. I know I would buy one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts