Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Rebel 1100 DCT first bike?

21K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Supergenki 
#1 Ā·
Would you recommend Rebel 1100 DCT as the first bike? And why?

#2 Ā·
Yes, because i bought one also as my first bike and dont want to convince myself again :p

All jokes aside, I chose it because of the 1100 engine. Here in the netherlands we have to take some pretty difficult exams (two practical, 1 theoretical) and must be done on atleast 35kw.

I rode on a mt07 and seeing thats already about 600cc, i wanted something bigger. I wanted to buy a motorcycle that i could drive for the coming 3 a 4 years. I love the rebel 500 looks, but the engine seemed too small to me for being interesting after a year. Also, despite what everybody says about height and the rebel being too small, I am 6,2 and I really felt comfortable on the rebel 500. It doesnt look as much as a kids bike as i expected.

I chose a manual seeing I like the whole shifting and being in control of the bike. It makes the driving more fun (also have that same feeling automatic / manual with the car).

All in All i would say what do you think will be the best. Try some smaller engine first when you are just starting, but when you fele comfortable and have some driving hours, go for it!

#3 Ā·
I would not recommend.

Compared with the 500...
The 1100 is almost double the price, but maybe money is not your problem.
Assurance, local taxes, fuel and maintenance will be moew expensive as well, but again, weĀ“re back to point 1.
Top speeds are very simmilar, and with any of the bikes you wonĀ“t be riding over 120kmh ( 60 mph ) for a long time anyway.
Acceleration is cool in the 500, and if not, just swift one gear down, or two, and hit the gas...
The 500 weights less, and it needs more time to put you into trouble than the 1100 does.

The 500 is a forgiving starter bike, get one, learn how to ride, ride a lot, and once youĀ“re done enough kilometers or miles, or both... consider if you want to change, but make it easy for the start.

I been riding for +25 years, and the 500 is a great choice for me, for how I ride at this point.

No, my problem is to get the time to go for a ride, this 500cc bike is just fine.

And lastly, weĀ“re talking about motorcycles...

Get the one that looks cool to you, the one that you will be looking back again and again, the one that you would go to your garage just to clean it.
If it was a matter of comparing data, we all be riding the same bike.

#4 Ā·
I would not recommend the 1100 DCT as a first bike.

Slow speed maneuvering using the DCT requires different techniques than taught in the MSF courses. You can't slip the clutch, so you need to use the rear brake to counter the engine power while counterbalancing. That requires many hours of parking lot practice.

One of my motorcycles is a 2017 Zero DS electric (purchased new) that requires the same technique plus is much more top-heavy with a very tall seat height. I spent quite a bit of time practicing and still practice to maintain low speed skills on both bikes.

The amount of power on the Zero and Rebel 1100 DCT are similar and adjusting to the instant torque on launching from start takes practice. Learning the different power/traction control/shifting properties in the different ride modes also takes time. You need to get the feel of how they differ and when to use which mode.

On any electric or DCT bike, throttle blipping and rev bombing are not an option and may yield unexpected results! ;)

If you do want to get it as a first bike, spend as much time as you can practicing in a safe area to get used to that much horsepower and torque delivered through the DCT. The rear brake is your friend!

#5 Ā·
I wouldn't. The biggest reason is that too much power can be dangerous to a new rider. My first bike after decades of not riding was the Rebel 500 and I first considered the 300. The performance gap between the 500 and the 1100 is much higher.

The most difficult control to master on a bike isn't the shifter/clutch mechanism in my opinion, but the throttle. Linear, measured throttle control skills take time to acquire. Mistakes will get amplified on a bike with greater power and instant (or jerky) throttle response. I thought the 500 allowed you to make small mistakes because the throttle response was more measured. Don't know how the 1100 responds. Moreover, the DCT requires all control to come from the throttle, so this makes that skill even more important. I also have a Triumph Speed Twin, a bike that's only a tad heavier than the 500, but with more than double the power. It would have been the wrong bike the first time for all these reasons. I find that I do ride this bike faster.

The 1100 is also a heavier bike, never ideal for a new rider.

#6 Ā· (Edited)
I think the 1100 DCT would be better as a SECOND bike. You kinda miss out learning on an automatic, the gas mileage isn't that great and the overall price of everything is higher. Not to mention, if you break something on it, it's so new that parts are hard to get a hold of (so I hear).

The power of the 1100 isn't overwhelming, but it's still more than I would have liked to start off with. There is rain mode, but I know I wouldn't have left it in rain mode when I started riding and you need to have a disciplined right wrist to ride the 1100 smoothly.

On one hand, the dct is great because it's one less thing to think about while riding. No worries about stalling or which gear to be in. Truth is though, I argue with my bike all the time as to which gear to be in, and find the thing upshifting all the time. Messing with the transmission controls can be distracting even to someone with experience riding, plus you hinder yourself if you ever ride a different bike without dct... which is almost every other bike out there.

Having a clutch gives you more control, and the ability to completely remove power to the rear wheel in case something goes wrong, especially in low speed maneuvers. Example: you are in the middle of a sharp u turn, lose your balance, slip your foot off to catch the bike while holding in the clutch, saving the bike while doing a rev bomb. Happened to me in the MSF course a while ago, even though I've been riding long before that. On a dct, especially on a powerful bike, the bike and myself would have had plenty of damage done. Couldn't imagine that happening in a gas station parking lot.

I think about this allot myself. I got my DCT because of physical problems, but i also thought it would be great to put my girlfriend on, so she would ride more. She has her own bike (fz6r), but she's still pretty inexperienced and the more I ride the 1100 the more I think it would be a bad idea to put her onto it.

Don't worry about outgrowing the bike, the 500 is plenty capable. I often find myself often wishing I had a cheap small displacement bike to thrash on, simply because it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than it is to ride a fast bike slow, while also saving gas money to do it.

All in all, I'd suggest getting the 500. Learn the clutch and save some money. I would even buy used if possible. If you decide you don't like something about the bike, you'd lose less money overall. Oh, and take the MSF course if you haven't already. You learn a lot!

Good luck!

#23 Ā·
I think the 1100 DCT would be better as a SECOND bike. You kinda miss out learning on an automatic, the gas mileage isn't that great and the overall price of everything is higher. Not to mention, if you break something on it, it's so new that parts are hard to get a hold of (so I hear).

The power of the 1100 isn't overwhelming, but it's still more than I would have liked to start off with. There is rain mode, but I know I wouldn't have left it in rain mode when I started riding and you need to have a disciplined right wrist to ride the 1100 smoothly.

On one hand, the dct is great because it's one less thing to think about while riding. No worries about stalling or which gear to be in. Truth is though, I argue with my bike all the time as to which gear to be in, and find the thing upshifting all the time. Messing with the transmission controls can be distracting even to someone with experience riding, plus you hinder yourself if you ever ride a different bike without dct... which is almost every other bike out there.

Having a clutch gives you more control, and the ability to completely remove power to the rear wheel in case something goes wrong, especially in low speed maneuvers. Example: you are in the middle of a sharp u turn, lose your balance, slip your foot off to catch the bike while holding in the clutch, saving the bike while doing a rev bomb. Happened to me in the MSF course a while ago, even though I've been riding long before that. On a dct, especially on a powerful bike, the bike and myself would have had plenty of damage done. Couldn't imagine that happening in a gas station parking lot.

I think about this allot myself. I got my DCT because of physical problems, but i also thought it would be great to put my girlfriend on, so she would ride more. She has her own bike (fz6r), but she's still pretty inexperienced and the more I ride the 1100 the more I think it would be a bad idea to put her onto it.

Don't worry about outgrowing the bike, the 500 is plenty capable. I often find myself often wishing I had a cheap small displacement bike to thrash on, simply because it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than it is to ride a fast bike slow, while also saving gas money to do it.

All in all, I'd suggest getting the 500. Learn the clutch and save some money. I would even buy used if possible. If you decide you don't like something about the bike, you'd lose less money overall. Oh, and take the MSF course if you haven't already. You learn a lot!

Good luck!
I am getting about 43 mpg on the 1100 DCT. Does this sound about right?
Thanks, and I am new to this forum. I already like it here~

#7 Ā·
My advice for everybody is to start with a 50 cc moped. It's kind of like the idea that the best way to learn survival skills in a hostile environment is to start with with minimal equipment. Learn to avoid the predators (2 ton SUV's whose driver is texting) and get use to the environment on a light weight, easy to ride, powered 2 wheeler.

The DCT transmission does have an automatic mode, but that's not what defines it. The regular car transmission uses a torque converter. A manual transmission uses a clutch. A DCT uses 2 clutches. As for shifting RPM, I just put it in Manual mode and shift with the flick of a finger.

#9 Ā·
I'll add that I love the DCT on my 1100 (not my first or second bike)ā€¦ in full automatic mode it is rather annoying and doesn't ever shift at the times I want it to. I always run mine in manual mode and click to shift when I want. This is still easier and I like it better than messing with a clutch, but its not twist and go like a CVT. I don't think I would have wanted this as my first bike, even though I absolutely love it.

#10 Ā·
It can be a good first bike. It has a Rain mode that would accommodate to the beginners driving level. The bike is light enough and low. My only issue is the bike(1100) itself is scarce, I would bet that the parts for it would be hard to get if you damage it from a drop.

#11 Ā·
I think that the auto shift points are just fine, especially with the rain, standard, and sport modes on the 1100. My CTX700 is an earlier generation of DCT, and is OK too. By just fine, I mean for running errands around town. Any time I'm on a twisty road it's always in manual mode to manage corner entries and exits.

Rain mode can help when starting out, and anyone who buys an 1100 DCT should leave the dealership in rain mode. It's still not a substitute for something like a 300 lb less than 30 HP starter bike.

#12 Ā·
I usually start off pretty slowly. Vehicles in the next land are always ahead of me starting off from a stop light. Because of that, the DCT shifts at too low a speed to make me happy. If I give it more gas, it will shift at a more reasonable speed. I suppose the moral of the story is either to drive it like it was programmed to drive or to use the manual mode more. It is kind of cool to just shift with the flick of a finger. The best thing about the DCT is that it goes back to a lower gear as you slow down; even to 1st gear when you come to the next light. And I also like the ability to adjust the throttle to slowly inch forward while parking it. It's just like a car. The worst thing about it is the noise it makes shifting from 1st to 2nd. It's just too loud. The other shifts are smooth and quiet. All in all, I love the Rebel 1100 and DCT.

#13 Ā·
Other than your "Just like a car" comment, I think you've got it. Cars mostly have a torque converter transmission, while DCT uses gears and not just one clutch, but 2. It just happens to have some automatic stuff, that doesn't get in the way if you mostly stay in manual. I've never noticed much noise from 1st to 2nd. There is a bit of a clunk when putting it in to gear, but pretty livable.

#14 Ā·
I meant that it shifts quietly in upper gears, like a car. Can barely hear or feel it shift. Now, if 1st-2nd shift was as quiet as the rest I would be perfectly happy. I just don't like the noise it makes. If yours is quiet, maybe mine makes too much noise. I'll have it check out by the dealer.

#16 Ā·
I purchased the 1100 dct a few weeks ago as my first bike and itā€™s perfect! Not having to deal with a clutch reduces a ton of learning you have to do. you can divert that energy elsewhere. I started learning on it in rain mode to reduce the power. But after about an hour I changed it to standard mode and find itā€™s extremely manageable. I was scared an 1100 would be too much power but honestly I canā€™t imagine having any less. It nice having some power to get on the freeway etc. the u turns can be a tad more difficult without a friction zone but an hour in the parking lot and I can turn it pretty easy if needed. For me itā€™s been a great beginner bike.

#17 Ā·
Agreed with most people that say a first bike should be lower power.

One counter story I'll tell though, is that my first bike was a 1300cc cruiser, but I was in an unusual position: I was 39 when I started riding, and had nearly 25 years of experience driving a car first. The two main advantages this gave me were (1) a strong sense for other driver's behavior so I knew what they were likely to do even when not signaling, and (2) I'd largely worked out my need for speed on cars before riding motorcycles. That's not too say that I haven't gone unreasonably fast on bikes, but if I'd gotten a motorcycle at 18 and was riding it around town I'd have been a hooligan. Instead I learned to be an incredibly patient and chill driver, which led me to be a patient and chill rider: someone who truly enjoys the experience, can go fast wherever I want, but does so with a focus that's hard to get without years of being on the road. And don't get me wrong, I thought I was a disciplined driver when I was a kid: but looking back I wasn't. [emoji1787]

My first riding season, the focus required to pay attention to eventing made me feel a little bit like being a new car driver all over again. After that first season riding became nearly pure joy once I was totally comfortable. But I developed a very disciplined throttle hand until I have a couple thousand miles of twists under my belt, and took that 1300cc engine for what it was: a possible death sentence. So, I eased into it.

Now I wouldn't look back, but I'm glad I took my time. I love riding, but you have to stay alive and out of the hospital to really enjoy it.

#32 Ā·
Agreed with most people that say a first bike should be lower power.

One counter story I'll tell though, is that my first bike was a 1300cc cruiser, but I was in an unusual position: I was 39 when I started riding, and had nearly 25 years of experience driving a car first. The two main advantages this gave me were (1) a strong sense for other driver's behavior so I knew what they were likely to do even when not signaling, and (2) I'd largely worked out my need for speed on cars before riding motorcycles. That's not too say that I haven't gone unreasonably fast on bikes, but if I'd gotten a motorcycle at 18 and was riding it around town I'd have been a hooligan. Instead I learned to be an incredibly patient and chill driver, which led me to be a patient and chill rider: someone who truly enjoys the experience, can go fast wherever I want, but does so with a focus that's hard to get without years of being on the road. And don't get me wrong, I thought I was a disciplined driver when I was a kid: but looking back I wasn't. [emoji1787]

My first riding season, the focus required to pay attention to eventing made me feel a little bit like being a new car driver all over again. After that first season riding became nearly pure joy once I was totally comfortable. But I developed a very disciplined throttle hand until I have a couple thousand miles of twists under my belt, and took that 1300cc engine for what it was: a possible death sentence. So, I eased into it.

Now I wouldn't look back, but I'm glad I took my time. I love riding, but you have to stay alive and out of the hospital to really enjoy it.
Like you, I learned on a 1200cc H-D Sportster 48. I can totally relate to your story. Glad we are here to tell our stories. Nice share.
ā˜®

#18 Ā·
I recommend buying a cheap used low mileage running, licensed 250-450 naked bike that has had good care and runs well and is safe. Maybe spend 1500 on it. Learn how to ride for 3 months and maybe 2000 miles. Sell the used bike for about what you paid for it. Buy the 1100 if you still like riding and keep it in rain mode for 30 days.

Reactions: BackRdRider
#19 Ā·
I am a new rider with one month\550 miles on the 1100 DCT and based on my experience it can be a great bike for beginner (Having said that you should really weigh and give strong thought to the comments of the riders above who have much more experience.) But here is my experience with the 1100 so far and why I bought it vs the 300 or 500.

• I think "rebelyell" hit it on the head with his comment. I like him have over 25 years driving experience in all kinds of conditions and crazy other drivers so this experience I think is crucial. If you only few years driving experience than I agree that you should go with a lower powered bike. Given this experience I don't go crazy on the throttle and work to ride within my capabilities and watching all the time for hazards.
  • I know it is a hot topic for riders to prefer clutch bikes but I find the DCT liberating, especially for a beginner rider that needs to focus on safe, riding on the street and watch for cars/potholes, etc as it is one major item you don't have to worry about. Hey, I love driving a manual car in Europe but don't drive a manual here in the US. I rode on rain mode for 2 days and now on standard and works great.
  • One of the issues for me at purchase was the bike weight. I read a quite a few notes saying the 500 and 300 can be a challenge on the highways, especially with cross wind. The times I have been on the highway with the 1100, I think the extra weight helps as it stays solid and steady even in windy conditions or a large truck comes by.
  • Few comments on the slow speed turns were made but I have been practicing in the parking lots on my u-turns, figure 8s and I don't find that much difference in difficulty between the Harley 500 I rode in the MSF course. My parking lot turns aren't perfect yet but will get better with practice.
  • Lastly, I may change my views on this in a few years , but I don't want to ride one bike sell it in a year and get another one. I really see this as a bike that will be good for me for 5+ years. So I tried sitting on a number of other brands and power level bikes. My favorite was the Indian Bobber or the Triumph but I went with the 1100 as it fit my body perfectly (e.g. flat feet on the ground), center of gravity low, weight manageable, and I felt safe sitting on it. So I suggest you go sit on one for a while and see if it really fees safe and comfortable for you.

#21 Ā·
Rebel 1100 DCT is my first bike, and it is absolutely beginner-friendly. If you dial the power down, it is very smooth. There are some cons, though.

Pros:
  • DCT gives your brain more bandwidth to concentrate on other things like scanning, etc.
  • DCT builds your confidence and coordination faster. In my experience, these are the two biggest barriers to riding as a newbie.

Cons:
  • Manually using a clutch lever and foot shifter takes muscle memory. It is also a new experience for most people because most people don't have other activities which require asynchronous function of all 4 limbs. By riding a DCT bike, you are not building that experience or muscle memory. If you later decide to purchase a manual, you'll go back to being a novice in many ways.
  • Riding a DCT builds habits you will need to unlearn, if you decide to ride a manual bike in the future. For example, at a stop light I will use my left hand to open/close my visor because it's not doing anything. That is a bad habit to have when you jump on a manual.

#22 Ā·
Iā€™m late to this thread but I will also say the 1100 DCT is a great beginner bike. I am a ā€œreturningā€ rider. I rode mini bikes and three wheelers on a farm as a kid/teen but stopped. That was a few decades ago. I rode mountain bikes in the gap until about 10 years ago and am just getting back into motorcycles. I got the 1100 DCT as my first street riding bike. Iā€™ve had it for about 3 weeks now and here is my experience.

1. As was stated previously, taking the clutch out of the mix makes it easier. Many people struggle with the clutch and the DCT takes that out of the mix.
2. Low speed maneuvers are actually really easy on the 1100 DCT. I donā€™t even have to use the rear brake for many parking lot skills. U-Turns, serpentine, pause and go, super easy.
3. Wheelie prevention, traction control, rain mode, ABS all help to keep you out of trouble
4. Throttle control is up to you but that, again, is easy.
5. Manual is fun in cars and motorcycles until you get into stop and go traffic and then it can suck. DCT automatics are fun and easy when you want it.
6. If you donā€™t have the muscle memory for clutch and foot shifter then going with the DCT is a no brainer and the only people who donā€™t have that muscle memory are beginner riders. If you do have muscle memory then adapting is not difficult at all.

If the 500 came with a DCT I would definitely recommend that but the 1100 is really no big deal with the DCT. There are so many safety features to help new riders that the 1100 doesnā€™t ride like an 1100.

#28 Ā·
1100 DCT first bike checking in again here.

The bike is easy for a first bike, especially if you tone the power down (rain mode or custom setting). It weighs a bit more than the 500, but it is still a light bike, and most of that weight is low. Additionally, the traction control is serious on this bike. You'd have to try to put it on the ground while riding.

My only concern after MSF was about slow speed maneuvers. They're easy on this bike. Stupid easy. The bike just knows you want to do slow speed stuff. No clutch lever necessary. You can do everything at slow speed on this bike than you can with a standard -- and you don't have to overbear yourself with technique like people are claiming.

I keep having this conversation with people who haven't ridden the 1100 DCT telling me, someone who has started on the 1100 DCT, about the feasibility of starting on the 1100 DCT. It's wild. Be a responsible adult and it'll be easy.

#29 Ā·
I bought it as my first bike and love it! DCT is awesome.

Here's a few suggestions...

1. Low speed maneuvers/ stopping - always drag or have your foot on the rear brake while learning the throttle in low-speed maneuvers and stopping. If you accidently rev the engine like I did a few times you're right foot is ready to compensate and/or keep you from lunging forward.

2. Rain mode then... Use the user mode - I copied the settings from Rain mode except for the DCT. I set the DCT to 3 (sport mode) so it wouldn't shift as quick. If I wanted to shift quicker I would simply hit the upshift button.

3. Consider getting some drop protection

4. The stock seat kinda sucks - bought the AirHawk R Cruiser Seat Pad Large. Makes a huge difference for me.

5.Enjoy!

#31 Ā·
I myself am still quite new to motorcycles with only 2.5 years and about 18k miles under my belt for experience.
My first bike was the honda crf250l which was a gift from my father. Learning on this small displacement bike did me alot of good. About a month after learning to ride I wanted more and went with the Rebel 500 2020 model. It was an absolute blast to continue to learn on and master the basics. In all reality I would of been happy today had i just kept it. but I decided after a fun riding season to trade it in last spring on a CB650R. I still have this bike however I just had a spinal fusion and my back isnt loving the seating position on the CB650r. So two weeks ago I picked up the rebel 1100 dct. I plan to keep it and my CB and hope I can one day ride the CB again. But the rebel is far more comfortable atm.

I feel that learning and mastering the basic skills of riding was def faster than most due to me jumping type and size of bikes frequently.

I dont think it would be a mistake to start on an 1100 DCT (in rain mode) I feel you would learn fine and master its power fairly quickly. But be aware you are not going to learn some things from an automatic that you would from a manual. If it were me I would find a buddy with a manual motorcycle to learn on for a few days and then go for the rebel dct

#35 Ā·
Couldn't be any worse than me choosing a Kick Start only 1969 XLCH Sportster as my first Street Ride .. Had fooled around in the dirt a little on Bikes but this was my first true Purchase of my own Motorcycle .. Back then all you needed was a Drivers License and the money to buy one ..

View attachment 39922
Those were the days we thought would never end!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.