Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Rebel 1100 DCT
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered the GS-100A brake light module on Amazon so I would be more noticeable with the flashing brake lights, but it has practically no instructions regarding wiring. Has anyone installed this module or any similar Brake flashers and I couldn't find any relevant install videos or on Youtube or elsewhere.

If you have would appreciate any input or you uploading your install post to the Forum.

* See post by LesS below for install instructions and my subsequent post...works great*

Circuit component Font Slope Cable Parallel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rectangle Material property Font Circuit component Electric blue
To install this you need to remove the seat. The brake light wire is Green/Yellow. You have to cut that wire and connect to the red wires on the GS-100A. Wire the two black wires on the GS-100A together and connect to ground. Wiring diagram attached.

·
Registered
Rebel 1100 DCT
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
View attachment 35552 To install this you need to remove the seat. The brake light wire is Green/Yellow. You have to cut that wire and connect to the red wires on the GS-100A. Wire the two black wires on the GS-100A together and connect to ground. Wiring diagram attached.
Thanks for the great diagram. Installed it by splicing into main brake (green/yellow) and ground (green) today and works great.

·
Registered
Rebel 1100 DCT
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any chance you could upload a video of the lights flashing so we can see how fast they flash? Thank you!
Here's the video. When you press brake lever, 4 quick flashes, then 4 slow flashes then regular brake light. Installation wasn't too hard if you are ok with splicing electrical wires and I think it makes a real difference in getting the person's attention behind you.

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 500
490 Posts
I ordered three some months ago, but have not installed them yet. I planned to put one on the center (high) brake light on my jeep, one on my Super Cub, and one on my Rebel 500.

After I thought about it, I want an automatic brake light on my Rebel (one that will sense my deceleration). I started working on one, using an Arduino, but I have so much to get done that I have not worked on it.

·
Premium Member
2021 Rebel 1100 DCT
64 Posts
Here's the video. When you press brake lever, 4 quick flashes, then 4 slow flashes then regular brake light. Installation wasn't too hard if you are ok with splicing electrical wires and I think it makes a real difference in getting the person's attention behind you.

Thank you! That looks great. Just ordered.

·
Registered
Rebel 1100 DCT
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! That looks great. Just ordered.
When you splice the wires, pull the connector plug out first as this makes it much easier and more freedom to cut into wire cover and splice (the connectors are shoved in next to bike in a round white plastic cover on the key insert side of bike).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think it is dangerous. The lights would look brighter if the video was shot directly behind it. On my bike I added a second brake/taillight. The brake light part could be connected to flash, or to not flash.

·
Registered
Rebel 1100 DCT
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That slow flash on the single brake light looks dangerous. You could be full panic braking and the car behind you thinks you are gently tapping the brakes.
That is a good point but I emergency brake probably once every couple of weeks and regularly brake dozens of times each day and I had people come up uncomfortably close to me to stop multiple times a day when I brake, this is the reason why I was looking for a solution to get more braking attention. People I have tested the brake with (e.g. family and friends I have driving behind me) says they definitely notice my brake lights much more with the flasher, especially in the daylight. It could be also be my imagination but after install I have found cars behind me slow down and stop farther back when I brake rather than come up very close to me which they often used to do. I also looked at the product which is a brake light which you attach to the helmet which is definitely an attention getter but didn't like how big it was on the helmet.
But each person should modify their bike to where they feel safest and this may not be a good solution for everyone.

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 500
490 Posts
I have done some informal studies. I have noted that the human eye tends to respond best to cadence of 20 - 30 mS on, followed by a 50-100 mS off cycle. That being the case, when I get my project done, I will flash the brake light with 10 cycles of 30mS on, and 70mS off, then remain on solid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts