Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
247 Posts
I would say it's highly unlikely, I just don't think there would be enough of a worldwide demand for this style of bike with that displacement. Generally speaking Harley Davidson is closing plants and reducing workforce because cruiser and HD style bikes are simply not in high demand. HD's primary owner base is aging to a point they can't ride anymore or simply don't need or want 1000cc+ bikes anymore.

Honda Powersports is really a worldwide brand and since cruiser style bikes are already in the minority here in the US I just can't see people in other more urban and densely populated countries wanting a 1000cc bike that they will never be able to fully utilize going an average of around 30-40 mph. If people want 1000cc or more bike it's not like they aren't spoiled for choice already.

As someone who loves the Rebel 500 for what it is AND what is isn't I can tell you now I wouldn't buy a 1000cc Rebel, if I'm going to get a 1000cc or more bike then I'll go pick up the ZX-14R I've been eyeing or maybe a next gen Busa.

Personally, I would hate it if Honda did go forward with this 1000cc Rebel, I think it would ruin what the Rebel has stood for and been for over 30 years which is a laid back bike you take out for a relaxing ride and it just runs forever. And I think it would tank hard and probably hurt the Rebel brand more than help it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm pretty green into all of this (riding in general) but it seems like that would go against the introductory market they seem to be after with these. Unless it had a really good edge on the competition in that class, I feel like people would just look around to other options that have been around. Again, I really don't have a clue. Could be cool.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not that they would, but there's really no reason not to. Most cruisers have engines over a liter, and putting one in such a light package would give is a leg-up over the majority of the heavier competitors. It would basically make it an option for those looking along the lines of a Sportster 1200 and would also give Rebel owners an option to grow into once they outgrow their 500's.

·
Registered
944 Posts
maybe it has to do with category permissions? most everything in this section is posted by mods/admin?

anyway i say why not, especially if they could keep most of the bike the same, just cram another engine in there.. however i wouldn't be interested since i'm in love with the bike i have now, and bigger doesn't always translate into better (at least in my book).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’ve always thought the Rebel, the new one, is more of a standard than a cruiser. The problem is that at one time the sportster was considered a standard, but now it’s considered a cruiser. The traditional standard had an upright seating position. The newer standards have become more like sport bikes. I could see there being a market for a more traditional, even bobber-ish, standard like a rebel 1000. It could just be that the new Rebels are selling well and Honda thinks it could sell a higher cc model. It’s all about sales, after all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Generally speaking Harley Davidson is closing plants and reducing workforce because cruiser and HD style bikes are simply not in high demand.

... ... ...

and since cruiser style bikes are already in the minority here in the US
Generally speaking you missed that mark by a very wide margin:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/252210/market-share-of-major-motorcycle-manufacturers-in-the-us/

If cruisers and HDs are not in demand, how do you explain 35% US sales to second place 15%? That's more than a 2-to-1 ratio from a company that only makes cruisers stacked up against the next four contenders that offer everything. You need to add up at least three of the followers to break the industry leader's unit sales. I'd say they are in a very comfortable spot, the trick is convincing the shareholders about sprints versus marathons.

Yes, it's four year old data...it takes a while to compile these numbers as many companies don't release them publicly. Still, despite a down turn where HD has seen losses in the past two years --- losses that the industry in general is feeling, not just one company mind you --- I wouldn't expect any drastic changes between first and second place. HD is simply attempting to appease their shareholders who want instant returns on their investments, it's one of the curses of going public. And that is why plant & employee reductions are taking place, the bean counters demand results on their short term bottom lines.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'd like for them to make one with enough power to take the front wheel up off the road with just a full throttle input. Not to wheelie but to be able to get up and go like rocket and still have a bit of back up in reserve.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would buy a 958cc if it was in the same bike frame and seat height.
I know what you're saying, I love my rebel more and more each day but wish there's some more oomph! The 1000cc model will have to have a beefier frame and tank and components but as long as they keep the same proportions and style as the current rebel then I'd buy it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
After I bought the 500, Honda called and asked if I would go to a focus group to give my opinion on some bikes. I didn't go but showmeguy66 went and said that they had a prototype of a 1000cc rebe. The engine is from the Africa Twin. Showmeguy66 should chime in any time.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts