Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a fair while to a specifically made splash guard for the Rebel.
Having the short Fender on & often arriving home caked in muck in the monsoon season spoils the riding enjoyment, so I couldn't wait to get this new virtually unreleased item.

Just like the Motozaaa Headlight fairing, nicely packed & well protected in the box, but again no illustration guide & fitting instructions.
The bar is nice & solid but the welds are not the neatest, kind of don't notice after it's painted an assembled.
It's a textured paint so the logo print is quite blurred.
After working out which nut & bolts go where, the first problem was the angle bracket slots drilled to the wrong sizes.
Wifey sent them a message in Thai, after several hours waiting they say thier gonna send additional parts & the drawing.

2 days later got no drawing in the packet but a new angle bracket with correct slots & all the same nuts & bolts as before, umm?
Next problem was the swing arm adjuster screw seemingly not being long enough to take the extra thickness of the welded on bar bracket. (Not enough thread for new nut and bar)
The other part of the bar then attaches to the chain guard. This has a collard screw but the collar cannot go through the bar bracket.

Now that I've messed up my chain adjustment I'll have to buy a stand, remove the exhaust just to re-adjust the chain tension & alignment because of this splash thingy.
The plastic splash gaurd itself is too thin & may not withstand the hot sun here or stand up to any stone chips flying up between it & the tire.

I'm still waiting for a picture of instructions & they have not even seen our messages.
I think this is still pre-production as it's not available on their website or any others. Should have waited.

Advanced Automotive Acessories is the designers & manufacturer (that's where I got it from).
Motozaaa is the seller & website.
Not sure If I will ever buy from either again, communications with Advanced Auto was the worst experience ever, from beginning to now.

Ive took it if off for now, so can't road test it yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Awesome! Seems you always get the cool stuff we want stateside *at least at a reasonable price*. Let us pioneers who took off the fender know how it works.

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow..............Twizzian that is tough looking stuff! I like it so let us know how it works.
I will indeed let you know if I keep it.
The actual bar is very solid unlike other pressed steel types.

I haven't looked into it yet but I know for sure others here have used a Yamaha R15 splash guard that has to be altered some how to fit the Rebel.

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! Seems you always get the cool stuff we want stateside *at least at a reasonable price*. Let us pioneers who took off the fender know how it works.
My mate will be taking a look at what's needed to make it useable next week, so I will update the outcome.
I don't want to recommend it yet until I'm satisfied with it.

I like the Pioneers of Fender removal quote by the way!

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Splash guard update

So after messing up my chain tension/wheel alignment trying to fit this thing, it’s finally secured as best it can be with the help of a friend & his stand.

There just isn’t enough thread on the chain adjuster bolt to take the thickness of the splash guard bar/bracket as well as the nut to secure it.
We drilled a small hole through the nut & put some wire through & twisted the ends together as a kind of nut locker pin.

Test rode the bike for around 30km.
Nothing loose, no movement and it was actually quite stable in motion when glancing down at it occasionally.
Maybe I’ll mount the camera at the rear to explore the visuals better.

Overal it’s not a bad design considering the rebels swing arm doesn’t have a locking nut left side of the spindle so hence the they’ve designed it to attach at the adjuster.

It’s possible to mount a number plate on the guard itself & may give more road water & debris shielding, although I still prefer side mount.
I deliberately drove through a few small & dirty puddles & still got striped up the back, so as this is guard is made as the sole purpose to prevent getting splattered all up your back & rear of the bike, sadly it doesn’t do it.

It’s another item just for looks, & not really ready for the market yet unless you can buy or make a longer chain adjuster bolt, which should have been supplied with the kit.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Thanks for the update Twizz, and for shattering the last bits of hope I had.... lol, joking! But seriously, a shame that it ain't working as expected.
I've seen this pop up on Ebay now, kinda feel sorry for those who orders it.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Wow!
So this dude is making $102 profit on this item
I paid 2,200 bt
His price 5,623

I’m in the wrong game
Jupp, so start ordering and stockpiling, and re-sell with profit ;)
It's the same guy I ended up ordering the slip on from.. My patience can only last a brief moment before something has to happen... Bah..

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to the forum so not really sure how to post on here yet. Anyway I'm in college for aerospace engineering currently and getting my rebel in 2 weeks.
With my skills and resources I can design a splash guard with CAD and 3d print it in abs plastic.
I like the idea of the rebel having a splash guard as I plan to remove my rear fender. But I don't like the look of the motozaaa guard. So I will design my own and print it to mount onto the bracket that comes with it.
Can someone who owns this guard send me close up pictures of the guard part especially where the screws go? Some measurements would be nice too.
I will design a guard that is a little wider to block spray with an optional lisence plate bracket too.
If anyone is interested and sends me pics/measurements I will 3d print an extra and send them your way if you have this splash guard but don't like the look/limited functionality. It would bolt onto the existing bracket that the splash guard orignally comes in

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
New to the forum so not really sure how to post on here yet. Anyway I'm in college for aerospace engineering currently and getting my rebel in 2 weeks.
With my skills and resources I can design a splash guard with CAD and 3d print it in abs plastic.
I like the idea of the rebel having a splash guard as I plan to remove my rear fender. But I don't like the look of the motozaaa guard. So I will design my own and print it to mount onto the bracket that comes with it.
Can someone who owns this guard send me close up pictures of the guard part especially where the screws go? Some measurements would be nice too.
I will design a guard that is a little wider to block spray with an optional lisence plate bracket too.
If anyone is interested and sends me pics/measurements I will 3d print an extra and send them your way if you have this splash guard but don't like the look/limited functionality. It would bolt onto the existing bracket that the splash guard orignally comes in
Aero,

That is great idea.

Perhaps you could design a fender extender for the front fender on the new Rebels....I among others would really appreciate it.

Kenny G

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kenny G,

I have plans for that I've been following this forum all summer so I have plans for front fender extender, splash guard and possibly a rear short fender similar to the kspeed one but mine would be made out of abs plastic. Id like to start with the splash guard since it's the simplest. Let me know if you have any other ideas!

·
Super Moderator
1,119 Posts
Welcome to the forum - looking forward to what you come up with.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts