Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well that didn't take long. Got the bike on Wednesday, first mod complete on Saturday!
#1 Went to the Honda shop and had a second key made. Does this count as a mod?
#2 After riding around for 4 days the knee, hip, ankle(peg) triangle is not going to work for me. At 6' 2.5" (189cm) 33 inch (84cm) inseam the hips are sore after 20 minutes of riding. I looked into taller seats, adjustable pegs, etc. but the best solution for me appears to be a forward control set. I watched the reviews on Youtube and ordered a De Pretto Moto set from Italy. I hope it gets here soon.
#3 I was talking to the shop guy about my bike and the subject of LED lights came up. I described my tail light and it appears that it may no longer be legal for use in Pennsylvania. It is a thin strip of LED lights across the top of the license frame. When you turn on a blinker half of the strip flashes. The guy called it "integrated". Looks great on the bike style wise but the flash is not too good in daylight. He said since my inspection is good I can probably leave it until the next inspection is due. Time to search the forum under "brick" and do some research I guess.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
at 6'3 and 34" inseam i can tell you the easiest route (for me) was to get the seat reupholstered. it's 2" taller and way more comfortable. i've ridden on it 5 hours (with only fuel stops) continuously with no issues. it is about half the price of depretto controls.
but I hope whichever way you go it works for you!
good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
34 Posts
My mods/accessories over the first three months that I've had my 300 were:
1. Givi side- and topcases + mounting brackets
2. replacement horn (instead of the standard electric peanut)
3. floor stand for maintenance

On the to do/get list, and in order of priority:
1. re-upholstered seat, and add about two inches of padding (I'm a six-footer)
2. toolbox that can be stashed in the side case. The under-the-seat business is a pain in the rear.
2. crash bars + highway lights
3. radiator protector
4. decent looking exhaust (I like the sound of the standard can, but it's ugly as hell)
5. belt drive kit

Oh, and I don't count a spare key as a mod :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, the forward control set arrived late last week from Italy. That is pretty good shipping response, less than a week from order to doorstep. I intended to install the kit over the weekend but we had a plumbing problem that took precedence. Here is what the kit looks like when you remove it from the shipping carton.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow, the forward control set arrived late last week from Italy. That is pretty good shipping response, less than a week from order to doorstep. I intended to install the kit over the weekend but we had a plumbing problem that took precedence. Here is what the kit looks like when you remove it from the shipping carton.
Were instructions in English included...I don't see any in the blister packaging?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
34 Posts
I'm looking forward to your review. At six foot, I'm also a bit large for the bike. I've managed a four hour stint on the bike with no real discomfort but I think a full day won't be great. I'm getting extra padding put on the seat this week and I'll let you know how that goes. It will hopefully reduce the slight cramped feeling I get.

WRT your forward controls I'm curious about how that will feel with the stock handle bars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were instructions in English included...I don't see any in the blister packaging?
Yes, instructions in both Italian and English. I had removed them so I could become familiar with the order that things happen.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
34 Posts
Dunno how I missed it, but I have the 300 and your controls are for the 500. De Pretto don't make a kit for the 300, and a (very) quick search didn't bring any up. If anybody knows of a forward control kit for the 300 please let me know.

·
Registered
2020 Rebel 500 S
14 Posts
Well that didn't take long. Got the bike on Wednesday, first mod complete on Saturday!
#1 Went to the Honda shop and had a second key made. Does this count as a mod?
#2 After riding around for 4 days the knee, hip, ankle(peg) triangle is not going to work for me. At 6' 2.5" (189cm) 33 inch (84cm) inseam the hips are sore after 20 minutes of riding. I looked into taller seats, adjustable pegs, etc. but the best solution for me appears to be a forward control set. I watched the reviews on Youtube and ordered a De Pretto Moto set from Italy. I hope it gets here soon.
#3 I was talking to the shop guy about my bike and the subject of LED lights came up. I described my tail light and it appears that it may no longer be legal for use in Pennsylvania. It is a thin strip of LED lights across the top of the license frame. When you turn on a blinker half of the strip flashes. The guy called it "integrated". Looks great on the bike style wise but the flash is not too good in daylight. He said since my inspection is good I can probably leave it until the next inspection is due. Time to search the forum under "brick" and do some research I guess.
The De Pretto Moto set was the best thing I ever got! 100% worth it.
I can now actually hug the tank with my knees. Also for whatever reason, the bike seems to handle better around the bends. Probably cos Im more relaxed.
Did take me almost 4 hrs to install though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts