Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I purchased used 2017 Rebel in May, with ~3000 miles.
It is my first bike and recently every time i ride on the highway for about 30 min, the engine overheating light comes on.
I checked the coolant and hoses, everything looks okay except my radiator fan is not working.
So now I am wondering either motor assembly is causing a problem or the sensor (Could not find part number for the sensor though)

If anyone experienced same problem, please let me know.

Thank you

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hello everyone,
It is my first bike and recently every time i ride on the highway for about 30 min, the engine overheating light comes on.
I checked the coolant and hoses, everything looks okay except my radiator fan is not working.
So now I am wondering either motor assembly is causing a problem or the sensor (Could not find part number for the sensor though)

Thank you
Has the warranty expired?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thank you
There is a 15 amp fuse in the box specifically for the fan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the warranty has expired.
Thank you so much for the information.
Ill check it out and hope it fixes the problem

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same problem. Fan just doesn't turn on. I'm not getting a temp. Light. But I can tell the bike is running hotter. Maybe I havent ridden it long enough to induce the light to turn on. I've checked the fuse and it's fine.

Did you find a fix for this?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Fan just doesn't turn on. I'm not getting a temp. Light. But I can tell the bike is running hotter. Maybe I havent ridden it long enough to induce the light to turn on. I've checked the fuse and it's fine.
I hope, I had all understood properly.
Fan: So far as I know, the fan works only, when a specific temp is reached and the bike is off with the key on.
Temp light: you only get this control light when the engine overheats, not in normal status.
running hotter: what do you mean? hotter as normal at the same time of riding?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I always thought the fan turned on when the temp sensor reached a factory set point. The fan will only run with the key turned on. Sometimes I come home from a ride and the fan is running but goes off when I turn the bike off. Most times the fan is not running.

·
Super Moderator
1,163 Posts
I always thought the fan turned on when the temp sensor reached a factory set point. The fan will only run with the key turned on. Sometimes I come home from a ride and the fan is running but goes off when I turn the bike off. Most times the fan is not running.
This is correct.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, that´s right, the fan starts his work when the temperature of the coolant is about 90 degree C. But it works only at stops or slow speeds, because otherwise the airstream does the cooling down when riding in normal or fast speed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So on this cheap bike they have electronics and software set up to determine if the bike is moving so that the cooling fan can be started and stopped????

I'm guessing not and the fan is controlled only by the coolant temp looked at by the temp sensor.
As a vast majority of fans on bikes are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts