Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put about 500km on the bike(500cc) and I have not noticed the cooling fan come on at all, I always assumed that it only came on when it got hot enough. I watched a video today and the fan turned on as soon as the kill switch was switched on, is that correct or am I correct that it wont turn on if not needed? how often does it come on for other people?

Thanks
kozlojak

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Jak,

The only time I can tell if my fan is running is when I kill the engine, I can then hear the fan run until I turn the ignition key off.

When I turn the key on before I start the engine I have never heard the fan run.

Kenny G

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think it depends on how hot the engine is.

I know it doesn't always come on, but I've noticed many times when I stop for gas on the way home from work that it comes on when I turn the key.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
814 Posts
The fan is only on when the engine is hot. When you hit the kill switch if the engine was hot the fan would still be on until you turn the key off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Same here, fan comes on if i restart the engine within a few mins of being turned off. Its come on when i've left it running after a ride while i get helmet and gloves off and the garage door open, otherwise the wind chill is enough to cool the radiator. so if you leave it running for a few mins after a ride you should see it come on

·
Registered
91 Posts
Park the bike with the engine revving, run it up to about 3-5K RPM in neutral and hold it for a few minutes. The fan should kick on.

If it doesn't you may have a bad sensor (which is located somewhere on the radiator, you can trace the wiring from the fan to the sensor).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts