Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my R300 the other day. First motorcycle.

Test riding around my dead-end neighborhood (mostly closed-course), i've experienced when i'm very slowly coming around a turn or am approaching a stop sign, when the engine's RPMs slow down enough, the engine shuts off and the bike locks up immediately. Happens too often. :mad:

Why can't the engine just keep running while completely stopped or even coasting slowly? Is this something that occurs with a fresh bike before being broken in?

thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts

Test riding around my dead-end neighborhood (mostly closed-course), i've experienced when i'm very slowly coming around a turn or am approaching a stop sign, when the engine's RPMs slow down enough, the engine shuts off and the bike locks up immediately. Happens too often. :mad:

Why can't the engine just keep running while completely stopped or even coasting slowly? Is this something that occurs with a fresh bike before being broken in?

thanks
I'll ask an obvious question... are you using the clutch at all?

Going too slow in 1st gear will cause the engine to lug and stall the bike.
yes, i was using the clutch.

You have the clutch pulled all the way in and the bike still stalled? Then you likely need to adjust the clutch cable.

·
Registered
712 Posts
^^That.

There should be a little bit of play in the clutch lever before it hits tension and starts to remove drive power. Adjustment instructions are in the manual.

And if that's adjusted correctly, you'll need to adjust it on the other end, in which case someone else may need to help, as I've not done it, and I don't recall if it's in the manual or not.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

thanks
Dee,

I think you have to learn to "Feather The Clutch"... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_control

Kenny G

·
Registered
708 Posts

thanks
Would love to see a video of this. Would make it easier to diagnose.

It really sounds to be like you are not pulling in the clutch or are waiting too long to pull it in.

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
agree with the previous - a fuel injected / computer controlled bike should not stall at low rpm - if it's not a clutch problem it needs to go back to the dealer for warranty work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts