Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, hopefully someone on here can answer this... what is the length of the rear shocks on the 500? I’ve found travel distance and stuff like that, but I’ve been searching for days and can’t find a spec or anyone posting a measurement.

And also are these adjustable at all? They don’t look like it, and when asking the dealer if they are, most of them either say they don’t know, or look real quick and say no, it’s not adjustable. But then I’ve seen a post by someone saying they have 5 settings.

Basically, for my wife to ride one, she’s tip toeing it, and really all we need is an inch to feel completely comfortable. Even half inch I suppose.

I’ve found aftermarket shocks they come in 300mm or the shorter 270mm (which converts to a little over an inch). Now I’m guessing the 300 would be stock size and 270 would be that inch drop??

·
Super Moderator
1,146 Posts
5 settings refer to the action of the shock - soft to hard - they are not height adjustable but you can get some air shocks that would be height adjustable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha. Although wouldn’t putting it on a lower setting give a little more say once you sit on it? Or is that wrong.

Also, do you happen to have a link to the shocks you mentioned?

·
Super Moderator
1,146 Posts
There are lots of air shock manufacturers, I don't have a link to a specific pair but I'm sure you could find something that would meet your requirements.

·
Registered
814 Posts
5 settings refer to the action of the shock - soft to hard - they are not height adjustable but you can get some air shocks that would be height adjustable.
The settings are not soft to hard. It is a preload adjustment to adjust sag. You set this based on the rider/passenger weight. The shocks that are on the bike have no adjustment for soft to hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what am I looking for from an air shock to fit this bike? I’ve been looking for stuff that fits this bike and no one lists anything other than stock stuff, and they also don’t show measurements of the shock, so I don’t know what size shock to look for, which is what lead me to this forum to see if anyone has any first hand experience finding this stuff.

·
Registered
814 Posts
So what am I looking for from an air shock to fit this bike? I’ve been looking for stuff that fits this bike and no one lists anything other than stock stuff, and they also don’t show measurements of the shock, so I don’t know what size shock to look for, which is what lead me to this forum to see if anyone has any first hand experience finding this stuff.
Fyi the shocks for this bike are quite expensive. The cheapest ones will be the regular YSS shocks. They will run you 500 bucks. The more expensive models are 1100.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts