Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to get some straight/drag bars but i don't really feel comfortable drilling holes into my rebel just yet, is there any way to make that type of bar work or is there any type of risers that i don't have to drill holes for? i am pretty tall so i would mind the reach being a little further forward anyways, I've read some people have had luck with no risers and bar end mirrors, can anyone confirm?

Also can anyone explain or link a page explaining how/where to even drill the holes? maybe its not as hard as i think, but I'm scurrrrrred!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Wanting to get some straight/drag bars but i don't really feel comfortable drilling holes into my rebel just yet, is there any way to make that type of bar work or is there any type of risers that i don't have to drill holes for? i am pretty tall so i would mind the reach being a little further forward anyways, I've read some people have had luck with no risers and bar end mirrors, can anyone confirm?

Also can anyone explain or link a page explaining how/where to even drill the holes? maybe its not as hard as i think, but I'm scurrrrrred!
If you get the honda risers you won't need to drill them or the bike. But if you add new handle bars you will probably have to drill them to attach the throttle assembly unless you again buy the Honda H2C drag bars.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you get the honda risers you won't need to drill them or the bike. But if you add new handle bars you will probably have to drill them to attach the throttle assembly unless you again buy the Honda H2C drag bars.
so just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly if i get both the h2c risers and the h2c drag bars there's no drilling just simple unscrew and screw in install? also how hard is it to take off the throttle and grips from the stock bars?

·
Registered
814 Posts
so just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly if i get both the h2c risers and the h2c drag bars there's no drilling just simple unscrew and screw in install? also how hard is it to take off the throttle and grips from the stock bars?
I am 100% sure on the risers, I am only 75% sure on the handle bars. I bought a different brand handle bar and I had to drill mine.

·
Registered
814 Posts
also did you have to get new cables or anything?
Drilling was very easy. Removing throttle was easy as well. What was a bit hard is the grips. If you are changing them that is fine, but if you plan on keeping the same grips it will be a pain. With the H2C parts you will not need new cables.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not meaning to put you down, but if you have to ask so many questions about modding a set of bars my advice is to find a mate/neighbour with the skills and get them to do it.

This will also give you a chance to learn without stuffing anything up.

Check local bike groups to see if they have meets, get to make friends, use their experience.

If that's not possible, get a bike shop to do it for you, and see if they'll let you be there so you can see what goes on, once again, part of learning.

I've seen some disasters created by people who mean well, but don't really know what they're buying or what they're doing.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Not meaning to put you down, but if you have to ask so many questions about modding a set of bars my advice is to find a mate/neighbour with the skills and get them to do it.
I thought that is part of the reason that the forum exists in the first place was to be a safe place to ask questions. You can't learn without asking questions and doing things once you get the answer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I thought that is part of the reason that the forum exists in the first place was to be a safe place to ask questions. You can't learn without asking questions and doing things once you get the answer.
Yes, it is. But when the OP stated " i don't really feel comfortable drilling holes into my rebel just yet" it gave me the impression that he may not be technically adept, so my recommendation was meant to guide him to a place to learn.

And some time spent researching would have answered all of his questions anyway, there's a huge amount of info about it just on this forum.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

This will also give you a chance to learn without stuffing anything up.

Check local bike groups to see if they have meets, get to make friends, use their experience.

If that's not possible, get a bike shop to do it for you, and see if they'll let you be there so you can see what goes on, once again, part of learning.

I've seen some disasters created by people who mean well, but don't really know what they're buying or what they're doing.
na ill do it myself thanks anyways.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yes, it is. But when the OP stated " i don't really feel comfortable drilling holes into my rebel just yet" it gave me the impression that he may not be technically adept, so my recommendation was meant to guide him to a place to learn.

And some time spent researching would have answered all of his questions anyway, there's a huge amount of info about it just on this forum.

and that's what you get for assuming. thanks anyways.

also I've spent a bunch of time researching this so get off your high horse and help a newbie out. it's just a question, which is the entire purpose of this forum...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, thank you, all i wanted was some answers to my questions and people would rather tell me everything else under the sun than just say what i need to do, so you are one of the awesome ones! thanks again for the defense! haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
No drilling at all. I bought both H2C bar and riser but give up the riser at the end. With the riser, the bar is too high, I prefer a more sporty forward riding position.. The screws of the speedometer is PIA. I didn't even unscrew those two screws but just took it off the bar. To install bar end mirrors, you do need to open up the end of the throttle grip.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't think ANYONE on this forum who has been a member for any reasonable length of time could suggest JimInOz is not a deep well of knowledge and experience, who is ALWAYS willing to pass that on to whoever asks, and has done on many occasions.

While he may have worded his response differently, I do believe he was trying to be helpful to someone in fear of them making irreparable damage to their bike. Too many new members have been jumping on of late and asking questions that have been dealt with many times before. This is not to say flyinbrianbmx is in that boat, but there is just know way of knowing for sure if noobs have tried looking or are just trying to save time and effort.

Anyway, I don't believe Jim is deserving of a dressing down for trying to look out for someone who presented as having little experience or knowledge.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No drilling at all. I bought both H2C bar and riser but give up the riser at the end. With the riser, the bar is too high, I prefer a more sporty forward riding position.. The screws of the speedometer is PIA. I didn't even unscrew those two screws but just took it off the bar. To install bar end mirrors, you do need to open up the end of the throttle grip.

nice thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts