Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how the 1100 seating position compares to a 500? I have been to a few Honda dealerships and they didn't have an 1100 in stock at the time so I haven't had the opportunity to sit on one. I assume the DCT and non-DCT are similar seating wise? I might sell my current bike and I like the Rebel line.

Thanks!

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you are near disneyworld, im in bartow and mine is for sale, I found the stock bike very uncomfortable, but mods to make it more comfortable are easy enough
btw, i know nothing about the 500

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I've had both and the 500 is a little cramped for me and I'm only 5' 7. The 1100 has more room even with the stock seat. You can get even more room on either the 500 or the 1100 with the Gunfighter for the 500 or the Gunfighter or Dual Tour for the 1100.

·
Registered
'21 Rebel 1100, '15 CTX 700
256 Posts
I bought my 1100 sight unseen, when they first came out. If I had been able to sit on one first I might not have bought it, but in the end I'm very glad I did. I first saw it when I went to pick it up, in February '21 and was shocked at the poor ergos, at least for me. After waiting on the aftermarket, and spending another 2K, it's now a good bike, and I still spent less than a lot of comparable bikes.

·
Registered
'21 Rebel 1100, '15 CTX 700
256 Posts
Maybe more accurate would be to say 'good bike for me', I'm sure that some folks find it perfect just stock.

The first thing was to unbend my knees some. I went with a set of De Pretto forward controls extenders, which move the foot pegs about 6 1/2" forward. $700. Second was a new seat. The rider's seat wasn't all that bad, but after one short ride my wife refused to sit on Honda's thin, narrow passenger seat. Corbin's Dual Tour Saddle w/ backrest ran about $950. Third ergonomic mod was to put on Kajima handlebars. For $200 they bring the grips back 2" and allow me to sit in a more upright position.

The better ergos, along with Honda's batwing mini-fairing, heated grips, better mirrors, Shad side bags and a rear rack; have resulted in a pretty good middle weight touring bike.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Water

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe more accurate would be to say 'good bike for me', I'm sure that some folks find it perfect just stock.

The first thing was to unbend my knees some. I went with a set of De Pretto forward controls extenders, which move the foot pegs about 6 1/2" forward. $700. Second was a new seat. The rider's seat wasn't all that bad, but after one short ride my wife refused to sit on Honda's thin, narrow passenger seat. Corbin's Dual Tour Saddle w/ backrest ran about $950. Third ergonomic mod was to put on Kajima handlebars. For $200 they bring the grips back 2" and allow me to sit in a more upright position.

The better ergos, along with Honda's batwing mini-fairing, heated grips, better mirrors, Shad side bags and a rear rack; have resulted in a pretty good middle weight touring bike.
View attachment 38845
She looks damn nice!!

·
Registered
2021 Honda CMX 1100 DCT
12 Posts
It is my understanding (from something I read but can't recall where) that Honda merely modified the Rebel 500's frame to accept the Africa Twin engine so I would expect the riding positions to be virtually the same. The LifeofBurch YouTube channel provides a comparison of his 500 and 1100 Rebels that should be helpful to you:
What you can also do is visit a motorcycle ergonomic simulator site (www.cycle-ergo.com) and set it up with a Rebel 1100 (for some reason, they don't have a Rebel 500 so you aren't able to make a direct comparison). Cycle-ergo asks for your height and inseam, then presents a visual representation (stick figure) of "you" on the bike(s) you've selected. You can choose from various Options as to how you want the stick figure to be positioned on the bikes. Then, using the Vehicle Customization change the handlebars, seat, and foot peg locations to see whether you can improve on the stock riding position. I usually load another bike that I know I am comfortable on into the system and compare the one I know to the one I'm considering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts