Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wanted ABS, but got enough of a deal that I went for a 2017 Black 500 today!

First I test rode a Grom, I'm 6-feet tall and 185 lbs and found it utterly useless. I dare to say its lack of power is unsafe in city traffic. I was over that idea real quick. Then, I hopped on a 300. What a dog! It might have been a SMIDGE peppier than the Grom, but not by much, if any! I was severely disappointed.

I didn't have high hopes for the 500 after all that, but decided to try one anyway. OMG. What? Wow. Night and Day. It wasn't just enough power, but it was FUN and the motor was SMOOTH and it was instant love. I bought it.

I got lucky with all the OEM Honda accessories they threw in. Bags w/supports, rear rack, passenger seat/pegs, and Two Brothers Exhaust! The sound is to die for. The whole thing LOOKS amazing to me. I love how small it is.

This is my third Honda Rebel over the last 25 years. I've had many other bikes, but just always held a special fondness for the venerable Rebel. This one I got now is the ULTIMATE! She's a keeper.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m looking to buy my first bike... taking rider course shortly.... what do you think is best for newbie 300ABS or 500ABS. I live in upstate New York so it will be hitting highways eventually.

·
Banned
247 Posts
I’m looking to buy my first bike... taking rider course shortly.... what do you think is best for newbie 300ABS or 500ABS. I live in upstate New York so it will be hitting highways eventually.
For me, the question was what size should I get for ME! I'm 6ft 280lbs and from the reviews I read the 300 would be ok, but would be very strung out on the highways with nothing left to give. The 500 will get me up to highway speeds in a hurry and still have enough left to allow me to safely and quickly pass cars.

So I really think it comes down to what you think you'll need. If your a smaller statured person and will be doing mainly city driving then the 300 should be fine. But if you're going to be taking this on longer trips, highway riding, or just are a larger person like myself then the 500 will be better and you'll be less likely to grow out of it as quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts