Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

Where do you park your Rebels? In your own garage? On the street? In a garage, leased from a landlord? Are there any problems? What kind of?

I´m living in a flat; in a 24story-house.
The basement is designed for parking lots, mostly for cars and a few are for bikes and mopeds. As I got my bike, I leased a parking lot for it. They gave me one, but after I leased it, I saw , it was a small area with a curb all over it of ca. 5 inch hight.
I asked for another one, but actually there are no vacancies. All full. So I tried this "curbed" parking lot, but I could never climb with the Rebel over this peak of 5 inch.
So I parked the bike on the edge of the dedicated parking lot and told them so. I never hindered any other traffic. In the end, the landlord said, either I have to park the bike on my place (over this curb) or I have to leave the place.
So I leave it the next month and I´m searching frantically for another parking lot in another garage. I don´t like to put the bike on the street, because of weather, dust, dirt and bike - vandals or thiefs.

How do you manage such problems?
Are any of you able and willing to climb curbs in very small places every day? (I´ve learned the techniques of "curb-climbing" aeons ago in my drivining-school with sport touring bikes like Honda Dominator, but I think the Rebel is not the typical bike to do that...)
Here is the parking lot they gave me. You have to climb this curb in a very sharp angle and in the same time make a sharp turn to avoid the wall before you.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
I park in my own garage, but often park in the loading bay when I ride to work to avoid rain. There's a curb I gotta go over, maybe 2-3 inches high, nothing crazy. Isn't a big deal, I say give it a try. Once you get used to going over that curb it'll become second nature. You won't know till you try

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
So even if you come in from the other direction to where your bike is facing it's too hard?

Maybe a short block of wood about half the height of the curb would help, even trim the front/top a bit to make a ramp like Hondora suggested.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would give it a try see if you can get up the curb. the block of wood Jim suggested would definitely help. course youd have to leave it there and hope no one removed it as trash, or somehow keep it with you all the time, but..
kinda sux they even have a spot like that.
btw in response to the question, I park in my own garage so have no issues gratefully.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think we need a better picture.
That curb doesnt look to high, and it look to be made to park a bike, or scooter, and not be bothered by cars because of the curb.
These Rebels DO have spring and shocks made to soften a ride over potholes or the like.

Second the 2x4 idea! And you can write on it "save for bike parking"!

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I think we need a better picture.
That curb doesnt look to high, and it look to be made to park a bike, or scooter, and not be bothered by cars because of the curb.
These Rebels DO have spring and shocks made to soften a ride over potholes or the like.

Second the 2x4 idea! And you can write on it "save for bike parking"!
Yeah I honestly don't see the big issue.. It's not like you would charge at it with a lot of speed either.
I've climbed sidewalks with the same height with no issue.
But yeah, a better picture perhaps? If you ain't able to climb it without having to attach it at an angle, then yeah, the height does make it a bit tricky.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This I had thought of.
My Idea was to buy a ramp from a hardware store and put it there. Make a fixed ramp from concrete or so, is not allowed. This idea i had also told the landlord; "make ramps on this kind of parking lot and you get happy tenants for them", but he is not interested.
A mobile ramp costs about 60 USD and I´m not shure it will work.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi!
As I said, I had to learn "curb- climbing" in the driver´s school many years ago. Done ist on a Honda Terminator. Bigger and smaller wheels, the rider is higher on the bike. With the first attempt I had the knack of it. But this curb I have now, is tricky in more aspects.
You have to climb it in a ca. 90 degree angle. This is OK. But in the same time, you have to turn the bike sharp left, because there is the wall. When you have turned left, the rear wheel have to go over the curb in a very flat angle and so it will slip off.
Maybe I have to reverse the bike fore and back in different turns as long until the rear wheel climbs the curb in a better angle. But this needs time and to do it every day is very boring.
Normally you climb curbs ca. 90 degree with both wheels and that´s no problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something like this, I had done already. Now I wait for reactions. Since the landlord has no spot that suits me, I had announced over a black board, that I´m searching an parking lot to share with other people. Some has parking spaces to lend privately. I will see...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the picture is not so good. It warps perspectives very extreme.
But in my opinion, this space is designated for mopeds an small scooters, not for motor bikes. Also not for cars. The pic is not good, and so you don´t see the space in its real dimensions. It is formed roughly like a auricle. It´s lenght is 230cm (90 inch) and the widest width ca. 100cm (39 inch). The curb is about 5 inches.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very good solution!
But I´m afraid, not for the landlord. He don´t appreciate asphalt of any kind on his beloved curbs.:frown2:
So I have to use mobile ramps. And after I go away perhaps they could be easy knicked from some funny guys.

But, on this video, you can see also what happens to the wheels of this forklift when it goes over the curb.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've climbed sidewalks with the same height with no issue.
So did I. The last time at my driver´s school at an exercise they called "curb climbing". The purpose was, to get used well with the handling of throttle/clutch/brakes, but not to climb curbs in your average ride.

But "my" curb is no sidewalk where you can climb curbs with an angle of attack of ca. 90 degree with both wheels. This parking lot has the form of roughly a ear. A small earlobe on one end and the big of the ear on the other. So I have to climb it with the front wheel in the 90 degree angle. But in the same time I have to turn very sharp left, to avoid bumping in the wall and steer the bike along the ear. This effects the rear wheel to steered in an angle of 20 degree (very flat angle) against the curb and I think it will slip off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure if it will help you any (others have already offered fine advice) but I purchased this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0P9NQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This has been a great help in allowing me to get from my apartment driveway to my sidewalk so I can park my bike next to my door (I'm a bit paranoid). It's very solid construction, hasn't bowed or bent once under the weight of the bike with me on it (sadly, I'm rather large) and hasn't slipped away from the curb once during descent or ascent.
As others have already offered, building yourself something would be cheaper and just as good but I don't have the tools to do so, so this is what I went with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts