Dest 380.00
accessories 1230.52
install 560.00

Total 8669.52
for pretty much a fully loaded bike before
Tax Tag and Title.
I live in Md and the dealer is in Va.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?
This is my first NEW bike and Im gonna give it a lifetime contract as im 51 now.

If my wife and daughter like riding it,I may buy a 2nd bike next year.

·
Registered
120 Posts
One thing I would reconsider is the seats I have heard that the upgraded seat is not any better for comfort so you might want to save on that and get a aftermarket set for front and rear.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
That's a lot of money to spend on a 500. I like the Rebel but not nearly that much.

Reactions: PopznMartha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is there room to negotiate? Like a new car? I mean i haven't bought it yet. I can walk away anytime.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think there is definitely some room to negotiate, but not thousands of dollars like buying a car. I bought my 2020 Rebel 500 ABS two months ago with some accessories included as well. Out the door I paid just under 8K. I negotiated some, but I also knew that it was the last one in stock anywhere near me at the time so I accepted what I thought was reasonable.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello. Before you commit yourself search the forums for comments on the extras. You will save a lot of money by buying good after market accessories.

The so called ‘new’ seat is not much better than the old seat. One hour and that is it - time for a walk.

Footnote: There may soon be a shortage of Rebels and parts from Honda Thailand - civil strife! Will Honda be biting their finger nails?Don’t tell the dealer - haggle!

😸

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
57 Posts
There was already a shortage of bikes in my area. Dealers were holding firm on pricing for the most part, but considering you're loading it up with accessories that historically have high margins and labor costs they should have plenty of room to negotiate.

However, I do tend to agree with longbeachgary that its a lot to pay for a 500. Love the bike, but at that range you're getting into the arena of much nice bikes. Consider lightly used and the options are even greater.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
60 Posts
Thats about how much I paid for my bike and I'm in California with zero dealer accessories included. Plus I financed it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thats about how much I paid for my bike and I'm in California with zero dealer accessories included. Plus I financed it.
Listen, there are a lot of strategies for buying a new bike but they go out the window when the dealer knows you're going to finance. They want to talk about PAYMENT not about the actual price of the bike. To make a payment fit your budget they'll lengthen the term of the loan. It's not until after that you realize the actual cost. The tactics that the dealers use would be illegal in any other business. If you've ever been to Del Amo Mototsports, they advertise a really low price and then add "dealer mark-up" that happens to be more then the discounted amount. It's like going to buy a loaf of bread for a dollar and then they add in freight, assembly, shopping cart rental, supermarket mark up for a total of $3.

Reactions: kitsunegari

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just before you walk away, tell em it's too much and ask what can they do on cost reduction. After all, if you were going to walk away you still can do that if you don't like their response.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
60 Posts
Listen, there are a lot of strategies for buying a new bike but they go out the window when the dealer knows you're going to finance. They want to talk about PAYMENT not about the actual price of the bike. To make a payment fit your budget they'll lengthen the term of the loan. It's not until after that you realize the actual cost. The tactics that the dealers use would be illegal in any other business. If you've ever been to Del Amo Mototsports, they advertise a really low price and then add "dealer mark-up" that happens to be more then the discounted amount. It's like going to buy a loaf of bread for a dollar and then they add in freight, assembly, shopping cart rental, supermarket mark up for a total of $3.
That's understandable. I have purchased several cars but buying the bike was a bit different because of the additional fees they charge and it's really at the dealers discretion how they much they want to charge. Some charge destination, freight, and set up which almost totaled out to $1k alone at the dealership I purchased from (LA CYCLE SPORT). Plus all the DMV fees O_O. I was willing to pay a little bit more because the bike I wanted wasn't easy to find and I got lucky to find it when I did. It was the only one left of the 2020. I'm not a lower payment finance person because I know that's how they get you. "Lower your payment but extend your term!" Hell no! My plan is to pay the bike off within 12-18 months so I can keep the OTD price at $8500 and avoid the finance charges. The bike was very popular so if they didn't get a sale from me, they would've eventually gotten one from someone because the inventory was non-existent. If I decide to buy a bike again (probably wont, we'll see), I'll definitely go about it differently. But what's done is done. I think it was worth it though because I really like my bike.

·
Registered
825 Posts
But what's done is done. I think it was worth it though because I really like my bike. View attachment 33203
That's the key right there. You got the bike you wanted at a price that you were willing to pay. The best revenge is to ride and enjoy the heck out of your bike.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The installation is outrageous. I can do all of that myself, except for properly doing the fork boots. Part of the fun of buying the Rebel 500 as my first motorcycle was customizing it, one thing at a time. It was exciting to add a new seat. A few weeks later I installed the windshield. Every new thing felt like i was getting a new bike all over again. I outgrew the bike in a year and now I'm taking all of my accessories off and selling them separately. They don't add value to the bike.

You are paying $8669 before tax/tag/title. You'll be paying $10k out the door. To me I'd get an Indian Scout 60 with no accessories for that price! You're paying way to much money for a Rebel 500 ABS no matter how much you dress it up.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
60 Posts
The installation is outrageous. I can do all of that myself, except for properly doing the fork boots. Part of the fun of buying the Rebel 500 as my first motorcycle was customizing it, one thing at a time. It was exciting to add a new seat. A few weeks later I installed the windshield. Every new thing felt like i was getting a new bike all over again. I outgrew the bike in a year and now I'm taking all of my accessories off and selling them separately. They don't add value to the bike.

You are paying $8669 before tax/tag/title. You'll be paying $10k out the door. To me I'd get an Indian Scout 60 with no accessories for that price! You're paying way to much money for a Rebel 500 ABS no matter how much you dress it up.
This. Tax + license and dealership fees will make this bike at least 10k. Buyback value will be about 3k if that if you plan on selling or trading it for something bigger.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This. Tax + license and dealership fees will make this bike at least 10k. Buyback value will be about 3k if that if you plan on selling or trading it for something bigger.
And it doesn't even include upgrading the exhaust! Add another $300...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts