Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes have used them but only on modified engines to get the fuel mixture right and more hp. Not needed on unmodified engines

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
factory lean

According to Revzilla videos they say motorcycles come stock lean to be able to pass emissions and sound requirements to be able to be sold to the public and even upgrading to a K&N air filter and Slip-on muffler will lean it out more and lead to decell pop. But Power Commander and TBR both say they do not have any MAPS for 2017 Honda Rebel configurations for their product applications. But the PCFC can be manual adjusted as well and was wondering which manul settings have worked best for anyone with only these 2 minor upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
According to Revzilla videos they say motorcycles come stock lean to be able to pass emissions and sound requirements to be able to be sold to the public and even upgrading to a K&N air filter and Slip-on muffler will lean it out more and lead to decell pop. But Power Commander and TBR both say they do not have any MAPS for 2017 Honda Rebel configurations for their product applications. But the PCFC can be manual adjusted as well and was wondering which manul settings have worked best for anyone with only these 2 minor upgrades.
Don't think anyone with such mods have bothered getting a power commander, as it ain't really much point to it.
By all means, you would ofc gain something by doing it, but it is really worth it? It's a poor little engine with only 471 ccm, it ain't suppose to move mountains. Or even just you at light speed.
The engine does it's job, and it does it well.
And yes, the engine is used in the cbr's as well, but I still would not call the engine racing suitable. It's just not made for it. Especially on the Rebel.
So for me, I just don't get it. There is always someone out there who just has to squeeze every single engine to it's max performance, and then some. And why? Just because.. Nop, don't get it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well ended up getting it and fits right in there as advertised. Only took 20 min to put it in and it already came pre programmed with a map for aftermarket high flow air filter and stock exhaust. Target AFR on this map is 13:6 to 1
AB, What does The Power Commander plug into on the Rebel?

Some models of the Commander have a setting for after firing / deceleration.

Kenny G:|

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once you disconnect the fuel injectors and the O2 sensor you plug it to the power commanders outlets basically bridges in. Then another wire taps into one wire on the throttle position sensor and ground to the battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Well ended up getting it and fits right in there as advertised. Only took 20 min to put it in and it already came pre programmed with a map for aftermarket high flow air filter and stock exhaust. Target AFR on this map is 13:6 to 1
Hmm, please keep us updated on your discoveries with this!
You'll be our little test bunny :laugh:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Map 1 is what came already programmed into the power commander most all of the values are negative which the number represents %. So I thought why would they lean it out more? After some research found a blog that was posted by a power commander rep stating a base map was created that targets maximum fuel economy to market the product when no maps have yet been created for the performance side of the house. And they create maps for their products based on popular demand and majority aftermarket product applications. So since they had no performance maps for 2017 Rebel 500. I figured I'd download a map for a CBR 500 but they only had it for 2016 as you can tell in the photos. After running both and tinkering with the manual settings on low, mid, and hi. Here is my "test bunny" report. As seen in the photos my map 1 didn't notice a change in performance but did note a throttle response improvement. Probably due to the PCFCs accel boost pump function that improves throttle response. Did how ever notice it felt like it was running more hotter and at 950 miles on the bike, the hotter temp brought back that new hot engine smell but not hot enough to make the cooling fans kick in as I was only running up and down the street a mile down and back stop and go 60 mph max. So then dialed up the manual settings which only go +/- 10% manually. Set low, mid, and hi to +10 and baby! noticeable difference and engine temp back to normal. You can hear the difference in idle sound as your adjusting. But back on the road to try it out and I got to say it was nice. Acceleration in first gear, cranking the throttle wide open definitely made you feel it in your saddle. Like the bike said shut up sit down and enjoy the ride! But under that map and maxed out manual settings at top gear and 50-60mph probably at 50-75% throttle when you go 100% throttle everything still feels like stock. Now map 2 CBR settings. Seemed to act like the same as having all manual settings at +10 but this was just the map 2 settings with manual settings back to zero but the bike seemed more well rounded. Being very satisfied with this configuration and after spending almost 2 hours plugging to the computer, adjusting, and re riding after each change, I'd done enough for today. Might try this map 2 setting with manual inputs next just to see but not anytime soon. But for now this will do. So for future reference folks, if anyone asks can CBR 500 maps work on our bikes I'd have to say yes they can. But keep an eye on the numbers and don't exceed +20%. I read that warning in the installation guide. You can change the numbers electronically by clicking on them and changing them through the program application in the photos. But keep records of your previous settings cause you do have to save changes in order for them to take effect. I'd didn't dabble with that yet as this was my very first time using everything. Well that's it for now.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
So far though I'd say it seems rather promising.
It sounds like thou, that the economic driving that some find pleasing with the Rebel might disappear with this however? I'm curious how much it would burn through with your setup now compared to a stock Rebel.
The tank on the bike is rather small already, so anything to hurt the mpg isn't good news..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'll be traveling down to San Diego California tomorrow and should be settled in Friday evening. I'll ride a tank full out this weekend for sure and let you know the results. The weather temp is ranging from 70 - 55degrees F over there so im expecting very nice riding conditions and long coastal view scenic route roads. I'm loading the Rebel up in my truck for the trip.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
A thought crossed my mind in regards of the numbers that you can adjust.
If everything is set at 0, would that mean that the engine would be set to completely 0, as in no adjustment made what so ever, etc? Did you try this? Got a little curios how the engine would behave when in total neutral work mode, so to speak. Nothing added, nothing removed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is correct. I have not tried changing those 0 values yet. Don’t know if I really want to as I am not a dyno tech. So any changes I make to any already proven maps would just be trial and error.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
That is correct. I have not tried changing those 0 values yet. Don’t know if I really want to as I am not a dyno tech. So any changes I make to any already proven maps would just be trial and error.
Ain't that the whole point of this thou..? :p You are after all our little test bunny here, our little guinea pig on the matter :grin2: lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah but I’m out of state for a school for two months so I don’t have the comforts of home to be tinkering around. And I still have to save up for my slip-on but after that I’ll most likely try some numbers in the lower throttle and rpm setting where the zeros are.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts