Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Possible cause for rainbow colored spot behind display glass

5K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  2edgesword 
#1 · (Edited)
hey all!

So i got my replacement of the display for my 1100, but this one also had the same issue. Seeing i could not let this go in my mind, I decided to test some stuff. I don't have any knowledge about motorcycles, but I thought maybe this would be in the right direction.

Long story short: Somehow the displays on the rebel 1100 (this production line) are not 100% waterproof and condensation causes issues.

How did I find out? Well, at first the initial display i bought already had to "endure" rain from the dealer. I drove in some drizzle, and the next day after 30 minutes of driving in direct sunlight, it showed the spot. This one got replaced after two weeks because it was getting more and more unreadable. The days before the replacement also had rain.

The second display did not have any issues. I drove around 1700km before I encountered a surprise shower. And you guessed it, the spot appeared the very next day i drove after about 30 minutes and the sun was on it.

So the third display did not have any issues. I cleaned it once due to sand on the display. Seeing its cloudy here in the Netherlands, I did not notice any problems. However, past thursday was the first day I drove out with the sun. And yes, it started again. Seeing This spot was smaller, I decided to let the dealer know that i would drive further and see if it would go away. However, They installed the speed assecoires on it on Friday and i had to drive back in the rain. Saturday I wanted to go for a morning ride and suprise surprise: The spot was bigger!

I decided to do some more "tests". I let the engine cooldown, sprayed some water on it and drove for 30 minutes at about 110kmh. The spot was bigger! And I also saw what caused the spot to grow and shrink during the ride (and dissapear when stationary): Giving a bit more throttle caused the spot to grow, while letting go of the throttle would shrink it. I did this twice, just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. This time, I was driving about 60kmh, so it took about 45 minutes before the spot became visible. I think the engine wasnt as hot as driving at 110 for 30 minutes.

I also turned on the cruise control and the spot would grow and shrink slower, but it still did. This is explainable because cruise control is more precises than using your own hands.

So I think the display somehow lets some water in. It cant escape, so it condensates when the engine is hot enough and the sun is shining on it.

I documented everything i did except photos, seeing I wont go to the emergency lane just to take pictures. I described my driving history in combination with the weather. I also explained that for me as a taller rider, I would look at the screen from "below". Riders who are looking at the display from the top wont see it so much. However, this seating position hurts my back and is not feasible on the long term. On short term, having a replacement would help but only if I don't let it get into contact with rain or clean it.

I am waiting on a response from the dealer (they are closed on Mondays). I hope I can get it replaced this week seeing i have some operations due next week and still want to drive some more. I also want to test if keeping it dry will keep the spot away.

Does anybody think this is a logical explanation? I hate it when customers go somehting like "It doesnt work, fix it" when they can also test a bit for themselves. I hope Honda takes this seriously. In my opinion A motorcycle could be driven out in the rain once in a while, but if that isn't the case for this one I wouldn't mind. I just hope they replace it again so I can enjoy it on the short term.

The Dealer is amazing btw. They respond quickly and really answer my emails and suggestions nicely. Its a 250km trip for me, but just worth it for the vibes alone!

(sorry for my broken English. It's been a while)

So this imaged described the heating of the display and the possible effect.

My view from the seat (first one is for riders who are bending over, second image is my view)

See less See more
#2 ·
If it was the engine heat causing the issue, you'd have to be stopped and idling enough to the point where everything else around the engine would be hot to the touch. Gas tank too. When the bike is moving, the air movement will cool everything down. When I ride, I barely feel any heat coming from the engine. Feels like it runs pretty cold to be honest.

I'm not sure how your having such an issue, I've been riding mine non stop for the past couple months and haven't had any such issue. I mean I haven't driven my car at all in two months, ride every day, rain or shine. It's been raining non stop this past week, from temperatures ranging between 50 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. My bike is parked outside while I'm at work, for 8 hours a day minimum and it gets rained on quite a bit.

If your getting that much condensation, it may be from the temperature change, either from ambient temperature or the sun. Starting to think maybe there's a problem with your mount, since this will be the 3rd or 4th time you've had it replaced? Maybe something isn't mounted right and it's causing the seal to malfunction? Just a thought.

I'm surprised your dealer hasn't tried to find the cause themselves, and I'm really surprised they've replaced it so many times.

Keep us updated, if anything, this is an interesting problem and I'd like to see the solution. Good luck!

#3 ·
If it was the engine heat causing the issue, you'd have to be stopped and idling enough to the point where everything else around the engine would be hot to the touch. Gas tank too. When the bike is moving, the air movement will cool everything down. When I ride, I barely feel any heat coming from the engine. Feels like it runs pretty cold to be honest.

I'm not sure how your having such an issue, I've been riding mine non stop for the past couple months and haven't had any such issue. I mean I haven't driven my car at all in two months, ride every day, rain or shine. It's been raining non stop this past week, from temperatures ranging between 50 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. My bike is parked outside while I'm at work, for 8 hours a day minimum and it gets rained on quite a bit.

If your getting that much condensation, it may be from the temperature change, either from ambient temperature or the sun. Starting to think maybe there's a problem with your mount, since this will be the 3rd or 4th time you've had it replaced? Maybe something isn't mounted right and it's causing the seal to malfunction? Just a thought.

I'm surprised your dealer hasn't tried to find the cause themselves, and I'm really surprised they've replaced it so many times.

Keep us updated, if anything, this is an interesting problem and I'd like to see the solution. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply! what do you mean with "mount"? I noticed its a plug and play system, so remove the bolts and tighten them again.

#4 ·
Well, the mounts I'm thinking of are part of the handlebar clamps. They are cast parts and if one of the holes is the wrong angle, or if something is binding up, I'm thinking it may cause issues.

I'm not entirely sure, it was just a thought. I haven't taken a close enough look to mine to see if there's any rubber bushings anywhere, but I know the speedometer bracket is directly mounted to the handlebar clamps, steel on steel. If you take the plastic cover off the back of the speedometer, you can see what I'm talking about.

#5 ·
Well, the mounts I'm thinking of are part of the handlebar clamps. They are cast parts and if one of the holes is the wrong angle, or if something is binding up, I'm thinking it may cause issues.

I'm not entirely sure, it was just a thought. I haven't taken a close enough look to mine to see if there's any rubber bushings anywhere, but I know the speedometer bracket is directly mounted to the handlebar clamps, steel on steel. If you take the plastic cover off the back of the speedometer, you can see what I'm talking about.
That means the fluid i see would be gasoline right? Also, Its a european one, so maybe there is a difference in part numbers? (manual)

#6 ·
Not sure what you mean? I'm not talking about gasoline, I'm talking about where the gauge cluster mounts to the handlebar clamps... I'll try and find a picture later when I'm home from work.

Now that you mention it though, it is plug and play... Is the rubber on the bottom of the speedometer in good condition? Is there any excessive tension on any of the wires?

#10 ·
Not sure what you mean? I'm not talking about gasoline, I'm talking about where the gauge cluster mounts to the handlebar clamps... I'll try and find a picture later when I'm home from work.

Now that you mention it though, it is plug and play... Is the rubber on the bottom of the speedometer in good condition? Is there any excessive tension on any of the wires?
I meant the fluid that causes the rainbow spot. Could it be gasoline fumes?

#8 · (Edited)
Ok, it looks like there's rubber bushings holding the speedometer onto the bracket, so the mount I'm describing wouldn't cause an issue.

The other rubber I'm talking about isn't in the picture. If you look at the bottom side of the speedometer, there's a rubber grommet. I'll take a picture when I get home, but it's pretty easy to see. Not sure if that would be replaced with the speedometer or not.

I wouldn't take anything apart just yet, just in case they replace it under warranty, but you can visually check it to see if there's any rubber grommets that are damaged or the like.

#9 ·
Ok, it looks like there's rubber bushings holding the speedometer onto the bracket, so the mount I'm describing wouldn't cause an issue.

The other rubber I'm talking about isn't in the picture. If you look at the bottom side of the speedometer, there's a rubber grommet. I'll take a picture when I get home, but it's pretty easy to see. Not sure if that would be replaced with the speedometer or not.

I wouldn't take anything apart just yet, just in case they replace it under warranty, but you can visually check it to see if there's any rubber grommets that are damaged or the like.
Alright, thanks! And yeah, there is a rubber beneath the speedo thats on there when replaced. So thats also new when the unit gets replaced.

#12 · (Edited)
Sorry, I forgot to take a picture last night, but it seems like you know what I'm talking about.

I do not think it's gasoline. My guess is that it's just moisture (water vapor, condensation etc.) That may be building up. When it cools, it's more visible.

Seriously though, if your in speedometer number 3, there's probably something else going on. Have you tried another dealer?

It's hard to see exactly what you're talking about without having the speedometer in front of me. I remember your old post with the pictures, and it does look like some sort of condensation, which can get in through anywhere that isn't sealed.

Have you noticed if it happens more or less when the temperature changes? How about on hot and humid days? Does it only happen when it rains?

Edit-i remember your asking about different part numbers- that's usually not the case. It cost more money for a manufacturer to make different parts based on country. Even if they do, it's usually not the whole housing. It would probably be different software, not hardware. I do not believe my speedometer in America would be any different than yours.

#13 ·
Sorry, I forgot to take a picture last night, but it seems like you know what I'm talking about.

I do not think it's gasoline. My guess is that it's just moisture (water vapor, condensation etc.) That may be building up. When it cools, it's more visible.

Seriously though, if your in speedometer number 3, there's probably something else going on. Have you tried another dealer?

It's hard to see exactly what you're talking about without having the speedometer in front of me. I remember your old post with the pictures, and it does look like some sort of condensation, which can get in through anywhere that isn't sealed.

Have you noticed if it happens more or less when the temperature changes? How about on hot and humid days? Does it only happen when it rains?
So it basically happens whenever the display has been in contact with water, so this one only had contact with water through cleaning it with a wet microfiber towel. After this, on a day with lots of sunlight on the screen it will show the spot.

Turns out the dealer can't do anything right now due to the person going over the warranty has vacation. So i have to wait at least 2 weeks.

#14 ·
Yeah, that sounds like condensation building up.

Your best bet is to give it to the dealer to fix under warranty when they can do it, let them keep it for a few days and tell them how to reproduce the issue. Maybe they can find out exactly what's going on, and fix it. Don't mess with it yourself until they tell you it's covered or not.

#15 ·
Yeah, that sounds like condensation building up.

Your best bet is to give it to the dealer to fix under warranty when they can do it, let them keep it for a few days and tell them how to reproduce the issue. Maybe they can find out exactly what's going on, and fix it. Don't mess with it yourself until they tell you it's covered or not.
Thanks for your input! Turns out the dealer has a two week vacation, so nobody knows how claims work now. Will keep this post updated when I know more.

#19 · (Edited)
If you put a flashlight on it, you can see the outlines. Did you also mention it to the dealer? I'm kind of happy I'm not the only one, and even in the same country. The thing is, it's really distracting now that the spot grows.

The dealer said he would look into it this week again. May I ask how many km you have on it? Mine does it with every replacement I had so far at about ,1700km.

#24 · (Edited)
Ok I finally got the spot again while riding.

Will contact my dealer tomorrow to see what they can do 😂

It's definitely not dirt or grime because I wiped it with a soft wet cloth and the spot remained.

Edit: I rode 15 mins in rain the day before yesterday then parked in my garage. Took it out for a ride today. Parked the bike for about an hour in the sun and when I wanted to ride home the spot appeared.

#25 ·
Ok I finally got the spot again while riding. View attachment 34888

Will contact my dealer tomorrow to see what they can do 😂

It's definitely not dirt or grime because I wiped it with a soft wet cloth and the spot remained.

Edit: I rode 15 mins in rain the day before yesterday then parked in my garage. Took it out for a ride today.
Thanks for the update! Mine got send to Honda because they want to do their research, So perhaps you wont get a new one till they are done. I suggest you tell your dealer also about more cases (and the pictures i posted on this forum). Hopefully Honda takes this seriously!

Thanks again man for the update :)

#29 ·
AAnd a spot on my 2021 1100

#30 ·
I'm wondering if it's moisture getting in while riding or moisture trapped inside when the unit is built. If the unit is built in an environment with high humidity when the unit is sealed that humidity gets trapped in the unit and under certain conditions might condense and cause the rainbow effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.