Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would show off a weekend project I did. I decided to plastidip my bike to change the look and hopefully protect the paint in the long run. The bike started off as gloss black since it was the abs model, no other color options. I did about 6 full coats with satin black on the rear fender and satin white on the tank. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
How durable is this plastidip? Does it scratch? Does it peel off over time with wear and tear? How often would you need to redo something like this?

Bike looks great by the way. :wink2:

Fletch

·
Registered
167 Posts
Another quick question...

The front fender is a matt or textured black and I would prefer it be gloss black. Well, when I get one anyway. In the opinions of the brains trust that is this forum, do you all think plastidip would give a good gloss coverage on that surface?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too am interested in knowing how durable the plasti dip finish is. Its quoted as being removable / peelable which implies its not that durable.

As to the front mud guard - its actually textured / matt plastic which is probably why its matt on all models whereas the paint is a mix of gloss and satin depending on the colour - that may make it a lot harder to get a gloss finish if plasti dip can do that.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Depending on the layers of paint, platidip can be veeery durable.
As a standard all platidip paint has a matt finish, but you have a gloss finish that you can apply on top of it making it shine.
And platidip has more or less "exploded" on the marked the last few years, so there is almost endless to as what is awailable. Just about any color, matt finish, gloss finish, metallic finish, etc, etc, you name it.

I've seen people who drive a little off road be quite fond of platidip, as brushes and such doesn't leave any mark or scratches on the platidip, compaired to your standard paint job. So it can withstand quite a bit. But again, it will depend on the layers. The more layers, the thougher it will be.

I have a set of summer rims that I painted matt black with platidip. 2nd year with them now and not a single sign of wearing off. You can power wash it without any probem.

So yeah, highly recommendable!

And the best part? When you feel like changing it up a bit, just peel it off and it's back to it's original paint!
It is truly a genious paint.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I believe I had 5-6 layers on my rims. I had plans to make them gloss, but was quite satisfied with the matt finish.
I've got some pictures laying around, can post them if you want.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For the people that are asking about durability, I've had plasti-dip on my headlight and a helmet for two years now with zero problems. And if it ever scratches, you can just spray over the booboo. Also, the more layers you add, the easier it is to peel. Five or so is a good number, and it dries quickly. It's an easy one day job. Also, you can paint or put stickers over it too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've seen some youtube videos of people Plasti-Dipping their cars and it's very durable. Apparently you can go to a manual car wash and hit it with the high pressure wand with no ill effects so it must be pretty tough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks great!, did you take the tank off to paint?
I did take it off, but I kind of regretted it. Those slide locks were hard to put back on and the fuel hoses are just long enough to fit. Next time I think I'll do it with the tank still on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How durable is this plastidip? Does it scratch? Does it peel off over time with wear and tear? How often would you need to redo something like this?

Bike looks great by the way. :wink2:

Fletch
It's pretty durable. As long as you apply the coats of paint to their recommendations you can leave it on for years, technically. The main issue with it is it doesn't handle spilled fuel well, so you have to be careful when putting gas in. Mine is doing pretty well so far.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another quick question...

The front fender is a matt or textured black and I would prefer it be gloss black. Well, when I get one anyway. In the opinions of the brains trust that is this forum, do you all think plastidip would give a good gloss coverage on that surface?
It can, but it all depends on how much you want to spend. Low end spray paint, the gloss will not be close to matching the stock finish. Their high end will do it, but you have to look at using some higher quality plasti dip and should be using an actual paint sprayer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks really clean!

How long did it take you to do it?
It took me two days with needing to do all the prep. If you prepare before the weekend, and depending on if you are doing it on or off the bike, you could do all of it in half a day I would think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ok, another question.... the Honda logo on the tank... did you remove that first? It's hard to tell if its a sticker or what.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
ok, another question.... the Honda logo on the tank... did you remove that first? It's hard to tell if its a sticker or what.
There is a coat of clear paint over those stickers. Highly advice you not to try and remove them. Be prepared having to re-paint the whole tank if you do remove them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts