Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found some customer rewievs and:
extremly good on wet tarmac, very good on paved road, also suitable for some light trails; and all this is trade on tire longivity, some reports that tire life span could reduce up to half (someone said as little as 1500 miles?!) of usual tires:surprise:

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Found some customer rewievs and:
extremly good on wet tarmac, very good on paved road, also suitable for some light trails; and all this is trade on tire longivity, some reports that tire life span could reduce up to half (someone said as little as 1500 miles?!) of usual tires:surprise:
Not sure why you would even want them? They are not for street bikes, they are for enduros. An enduro is a bike which is basically 50/50 street and trail riding. It doesn't seem like a good fit at all for the rebel unless you are using it off road a lot.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But it appears to be OEM tires for Ducati scramblers, and they marked those tires 60/40 road/terrain. But, anyhow those rapid wear is too big tradeoff for me, and for now I will stick with Dunlops- expected life span for me appears to be somewhere in range 12000 to 15000 kilometres and are reasonably good in wet conditions.
Yes, yes, the price tag for Pirellis is too good to not at least look at them...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do you plan on doing any off-roading? Dirt, gravel, sand?

If not, stick with street tires... the price pays for itself with the longevity.

A quick Google says a set of Dunlops will cost you around $280, whereas the Pirelli will cost around $200.

You say reviews give Pirellis about half the life span of better tires, sometimes less... but the value isn't there unless they only cost half as much... otherwise it doesn't equal out.

·
Registered
814 Posts
But it appears to be OEM tires for Ducati scramblers, and they marked those tires 60/40 road/terrain. But, anyhow those rapid wear is too big tradeoff for me, and for now I will stick with Dunlops- expected life span for me appears to be somewhere in range 12000 to 15000 kilometres and are reasonably good in wet conditions.
Yes, yes, the price tag for Pirellis is too good to not at least look at them...
Ducati scramblers are actually considered dual sport bikes. Meaning they are made for off-road/on-road use. Completely different than the design of the rebel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm going to pull the trigger on a set of these, since I'll need to replace tires soon anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

I drive 95-100 kilometers a day with 20-40 of that being gravel, and even the odd unmaintained road, so this seems like the logical choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
danggggggg such a good video makes me want to get them and find some fire roads <3
DO IT!!!

What is that tied to your handlebars beating on the tank?
I hit 4 birds in my first 2 months, so I decided to take one of the nicer feathers and tie it to my bars. Oddly I haven't hit bird since I added it....

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I did a bit of beach off-roading in my stock Dunlops, which was about as hilarious as you'd imagine. Anyone tried the Pirellis in sand yet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure why you would even want them? They are not for street bikes, they are for enduros. An enduro is a bike which is basically 50/50 street and trail riding. It doesn't seem like a good fit at all for the rebel unless you are using it off road a lot.
I just ordered some for mine so that I can take on some fire trails and stuff and have better traction.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
That was a great video. It inspired me to buy myself a set of those Pirellis and see what my Rebel can do off the asphalt!
those exact tires came stock on my Himalayan. they've been great so far

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought they looked like the same tires as came on the Himalayan. I'm glad to hear that they're working well for you.

·
Registered
2020 Rebel 500 SE
18 Posts
You can take a look at "Itchy Boots" youtube channel, she covered thousands and thousands of kilometers with her Himalayan around the world with those tires and was very happy. But keep in mind they are Trail tires, they won't be as good as Road tires (good ones) on tarmac ;)....but they may save your ass in gravels/sand/mud :)

·
Registered
2019 500 Rebel
51 Posts
I ride a post motorcycle with off road tyres 5 hours a day at work. If you ride 20% to 30% off road the slight loss of traction on road is more than made up for by the massive gain off road.
I dropped my bike on dirt/gravel road couple of weeks back. Front slipped so I straighten up went off the road only to discover the ABS increases your stopping distance to fucking never. Wouldn't of ended up under a tree in a fence if i had no ABS. I'm might give these a go next.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts